3.5 gpa, 34 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM504

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Public Health Science Major with a Biology Minor.
(3.5 GPA and 34 MCAT)

I have had to retake Gen Chem II, Orgo I and Microbiology.

-Red Cross Club member (3 years)
-Medical Scribe (2 years)
-Hospital volunteer (150+ hours)
-Environmental Research (Summer)
-Mental Health internship (Summer)

I'm looking at;

LSU-NO School of Med
Tulane University School of Med
UT-Houston
UT-Galveston

I'm also a female URM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You really only looking to stay in the area? You could go for some other schools and have a decent chance outside of Texas/Louisiana.

You really only looking to stay in the area? You could go for some other schools and have a decent chance outside of Texas/Louisiana.
You're likely fine either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply broadly within the TMDSAS system since it's a flat fee for application and most of the schools don't require secondaries. UT-Houston is quite competitive even for in-state students.

What other schools do you think I would have a good chance at getting in?

I think you've got a good shot at most schools in the country, excluding those that don't take many OOS applicants. Your MCAT score is great, and being a female URM is favorable too. I would apply to all the schools in your state, and any additional schools that interest you. Later you can pick your favorite or maybe the one that gives you the best financial aid. Good luck!

Your numbers will make you very competitive.

Make sure you application is well rounded (good essays, ect.).

How bad does re-taking classes look?

How bad does re-taking classes look?

It could only be looked upon negatively if you don't significantly improve your grade the second time through, so don't bother if your original grade wasn't actually that low or if you're not sure you'll be able to do much better.