3.52 cgpa, 3.67 sgpa, and 33 MCAT Chances and School List Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twopint32oz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency: NY
Major: Neuroscience + Economics (double major)
GPA: 3.52 cgpa, 3.67 sgpa

MCAT breakdown:

33R
PS: 13 VR: 10 BS: 11 Writing: R

EC's
-Clinical Volunteering (200+ hours)
-Nonclinical Volunteering (100+ hours)
-Research in muscle development for 3 semesters + current summer (will continue next year).
-Shadowing (50 hours across 2 different specialties)

My school list - Any suggestions for my school list would be greatly appreciated.
1. Albany Medical College
2. Boston University
3. Brown University (most likely out of reach)
4. Creighton University
5. Drexel University
6. Duke University (most likely out of reach)
7. George Washington University
8. Georgetown University
9. Jefferson Medical College
10. Johns Hopkins University (most likely out of reach)
11. Loyola University Chicago
12. Mount Sinai School of Medicine
13. New York University
14. Northwestern University (most likely out of reach)
15. Rosalind Franklin University
16. Saint Louis University
17. Temple University
18. Tufts University
19. Tulane University
20. University of Connecticut
21. University of Maryland
22. University of Michigan
23. University of Rochester
24. University of Southern California
25. University of Vermont
26. University of Virginia
27. Virginia Commonwealth University

I am not sure which schools are out of reach like Johns Hopkins. I just want 1-2 reach schools. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Your cGPA is below average for nearly every school on your list...

Think about that because it makes more schools "reach" schools than you are thinking. Also, while a 33 is good it isn't going to outweigh the low cGPA at a lot of the more competitive schools you're applying to.

Good luck

Your cGPA is below average for nearly every school on your list...

Think about that because it makes more schools "reach" schools than you are thinking. Also, while a 33 is good it isn't going to outweigh the low cGPA at a lot of the more competitive schools you're applying to.

Good luck
Hmm I see. Thanks for insight. Do you have any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are a resident of NY apply to all the SUNYs for instate preference.. duh

screw the cGPA. your sGPA is way above average for M.D applicants. Your school list looks good IMO- you should get 3-4 interviews at minimum.

screw the cGPA. your sGPA is way above average for M.D applicants. Your school list looks good IMO- you should get 3-4 interviews at minimum.

Who cares if the OP's sGPA is above the average MD applicant, it isn't higher than most ACCEPTED at the schools on the OP's list?

You need to consider who actually gets in to the 100-200 spots at a school, not the 3000-10000 who don't get one of those spots...

:boom:

Your list looks pretty good. I'd say Mount Sinai, Michigan, and NYU are also reaches with your GPA, but go ahead and give them a shot if you think you have something that will make you stand out. Keep in mind schools like JHU, Duke, Sinai, Michigan, NYU have median GPAs of ~3.85. You would fall in all of their bottom 10 percentiles of accepted candidates in terms of GPA.

I think you definitely have a legitimate shot at the rest of your schools (even more so if your MCAT is a 34 instead of a 33 hehe).