3.52 gpa URM ~499 new mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lark27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an AA female URM with a 3.52 gpa and sgpa. I took the new mcat in May and will probably score 499.

I have 2 years research experience with a project funded by NIH and another project funded by AHA.

Division 1 student athlete and 2 time NCAA all-american and 3 time academic all-american.

~100 hours emergency department volunteer at local hospital.
Volunteer with wounded warrior project and disabled athletics.

I'm a Pennsylvania resident and attended PSU. I plan on applying both MD and DO to all Pennsylvania schools and I am very interested in USUHS.

I signed up to retake the mcat in July but I'm curious about my chances without a retake.

Any advice on school lists and my chances would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Start with the HBCU's.
If you are fluent in Spanish, you are also a candidate for the 3 Puerto Rican schools that take mainlanders.
If you apply to all your IS schools, USUHS and the HBCU's you should get enough interviews to get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf

An extremely rough guide above to help gauge where you might stand.

Apply broadly and smartly and I think you'll get II's. I would definitely advise re-taking the MCAT: a 24-25 caliber score is a tagged as a risk factor for struggling on boards later on in life.

For school lists it's all about MSAR. I'd pay particular attention to school's 10th/90th percentile ranges for MCATs and what the 10th percentile is. Commonwealth, Penn State, WVU, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel are a good start. HBCU's as well. Come back with a list and people can help edit it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys!

I'm working on putting together a school list and will post when I have something.

Put together a school list.

DO:
PCOM
LECOM
AZCOM
Touro-NY
Rowan

MD:
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
PSU (IS)
Temple (IS)
Drexel (IS)
Commonwealth (IS)
FSU
USUHS

Take a look and give me some feedback please!!

I think it will be safe to add some low tier schools like the Philly Triplets, Rosy Franklin, NYMC etc.

Start with the HBCU's.
If you are fluent in Spanish, you are also a candidate for the 3 Puerto Rican schools that take mainlanders.
If you apply to all your IS schools, USUHS and the HBCU's you should get enough interviews to get in.

Anywhere you think I should add? I'm retaking the mcat July 17th and expect to do much better as I was super busy and way underprepared the first time around. Will the late mcat retake set me back a ton?

Start with the HBCU's.

Puerto Rican schools? Excuse my ignorance, but are they not equivalent to your run of the mill Caribbean schools?

Puerto Rican schools? Excuse my ignorance, but are they not equivalent to your run of the mill Caribbean schools?
They are fully LCME accredited with all the rights a privileges of an American school. Their acceptance and matriculation data is included in AAMC reports.
You may check the MSAR for more information

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what a 496, 497, 498, and 499 would be equivalent to based on the old scale?