3.54 GPA - school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuneyah

Undergrad grad 2013!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.25
MCAT: no scores until August 6th
Undergrad: just graduated from Emory
Majors: Music (BA) and Biology (BS)
Ethnicity: White
State Res: Georgia (no connections anywhere else)
Letters: good/solid

Academics: I got a C in orgo I and an F in orgo II my sophomore year because I was struggling with feelings of isolation and depression associated with being a closeted gay person. I RETOOK BOTH orgo I and II and made an A and A- my senior year ... I will explain all this in any secondaries if they ask about academic things.

Obviously the C and F gave my sGPA a whopping, but I've had a strong upward trend the past 1.5 years.

ECs:
Lots of shadowing various specialties (~90 hrs over 4 years);
Hospital volunteering (~150 hrs at three different hospitals over 2 years);
One year of research through a research partner program with a Psychology professor resulting in a poster presentation at a symposium;
Archival research for a summer for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (first year an archival department was created there);
Music therapy assistant for a year at a geriatric hospital;
Played piano for nursing home residents for a year;
Played piano for over 10 years;
Lots of choral stuff over three years (baritone in University Chorus, Concert Choir, Mastersingers, my church choir, and Atlanta Gay Men's Chorus);
Orientation captain for first year students (for 1 year);
Site coordinator and volunteer for a program that helps in the naturalization and ESL tutoring for immigrants (for three years);
Camp counselor for a summer missions camp, building wheelchair ramps, decks, painting for an undeserved community and leading dozens of new campers each week (1 summer);
Jumpstart corps member (300 hours of meaningful play for under-served preschoolers during 1 summer);
Divisional treasurer for all media organizations on campus (1 year);
AID Atlanta Gay Outreach Intern for 1 summer (going out in the community and helping distribute safer sex kits and making meaningful/educational conversation with members of Atlanta's gay community)

Scholarships/awards: $1000 scholarship from hospital volunteen program in high school; Dean's list 3 semesters

Gap year: I'll be doing AmeriCorps VISTA in Atlanta and singing in the Atlanta Symphony Chorus

----------------------------------------

I took Goro's advise a few months ago and now I need to finalize everything. Which of these schools do I need to drop from my primary based on my GPAs and OOS friendliness?

Here is my list:

Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Emory (I have to apply here because this is where I went to undergrad.)
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer
NYMC
Oakland University
Quinnipiac
Rush
SLU
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Missouri - Kansas City
VCU

And what about these--any of these schools worth applying to?
Wake Forest
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Jefferson
Loyola
U at Buffalo
U of Toledo
W. Virginia
Michigan State
Marshall

Members don't see this ad.

No one can really say until you got your MCAT scores back. You got a projected score?

No one can really say until you got your MCAT scores back. You got a projected score?

I'm projecting a 29 or 30. How would my school list look then?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're fine with the three GA schools, but add PCOM-GA, and pretty much any DO program.

In looking at your ECs, just be sure to pick a school that's in an area that will be gay-freindly. That would rule out Pikeville and AT Still, for two.

My pleasure to help!
I took Goro's advise a few months ago and now I need to finalize everything. Which of these schools do I need to drop from my primary based on my GPAs and OOS friendliness?

I would rule out the WVa scholls because it's my impression they want WV residents, or those from surroundling states, who would be most likley to stay in WVa. I susepct that the other public schools will prefer the home team, and stats need to be above avg for them

Rest of list seems to be OK. Good luck!

Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Emory (I have to apply here because this is where I went to undergrad.)
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer
NYMC
Oakland University
Quinnipiac
Rush
SLU
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
VCU
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Jefferson
Loyola
U of Toledo

I thought Oakland is unfriendly to OOS. And you aren't eligible to apply to marshall.

Last edited: