3.55 GPA, 27 projected MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, just wanted to see if it's worth it for me to apply or maybe consider an SMP?

1. FL resident
  2. 3.6 GPA
  3. 28 MCAT - 10/8/10
  4. strong upward trend
  5. tutored at an elementary school
  6. TA for 2 years (chem and anatomy&physiology)
  7. EMT-B (~800 hours, no longer working)
  8. 60 hours hospital volunteer
  9. cancer research as an undergrad for 1 year

do i have a chance at instate schools at least? how do my ECs look?

Submitted AACOMAS and waiting to be verified, but I only like a few DO schools (DMU, PCOM, CCOM, KCOM)

Applied to
UCF
USF
UF
FSU
FIU
FAU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would have a chance at a few FL schools. But it would be a risky and stressful cycle. Specifically since you are so late. A 27 and a 29 are significant differences as a 27 would likely lead to no acceptances and a 29 might.

I would wait a year. Take some extra classes to boost your gpa, retake the Mcat if you score under a 29, boost your ECs and apply first day next year.

thanks for the reply! yes you are right, there's a pretty big difference between the two scores. if it helps, my most recent practice test was 11/7/11. i will be taking this wednesday.

also i forgot to mention i graduated already a couple months ago. should i go ahead and apply to a few SMPs? i was thinking about maybe doing a masters over at Barry in their accelerated 1 year program just so i dont waste another year, even though i am working. im also planning on retaking the mcat regardless.

edit: scratch barry, read some bad reviews http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795585

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All of your numbers are below avg for FL schools, the MCAT especially so. A good SMP still won't rescue a poor MCAT showing.

hey guys, just wanted to see if it's worth it for me to apply or maybe consider an SMP?

1. FL resident
  2. 3.55 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA.
  3. strong upward trend (3.85 over last 5 semesters - deans list on all 5)
  4. tutored for 2 months at an elementary school
  5. TA for 2 years (chem and anatomy&physiology)
  6. EMT-B. working since the summer (~400 hours)
  7. also volunteered at a hospital (been registered since jan 2012 but only have 30 hours.. should i even mention this?)
  8. projected 27 mcat (based on practice scores of 26-29)
  9. also did research as an undergrad for 1 year

do i have a chance at instate schools at least? how do my ECs look?

i was thinking of doing an smp or something since my mcat will be low. not interested in DO at the moment. thanks

All of your numbers are below avg for FL schools, the MCAT especially so. A good SMP still won't rescue a poor MCAT showing.
Even the better SMP recruit at 29+ MCAT, so I definitely agree with you. The OP would be merely average for DO, which is what he/she should be considering for now.

thanks for the honest replies! yes i know my GPA is low, i was hoping the upward trend would sort of make up for it, and perhaps my ECs. speaking on them, how do my ECs look?

my goal for the mcat was a 32 and i feel its reachable with more time. my sciences are looking good imo but verbal is obviously low. if i wasnt working i feel i couldve reached it, but im not complaining. the job is amazing and ive had some great experiences.

so, so far: try for 28+ (30 would be great if i get lucky) on mcat this wednesday and i guess it all depends on that for now, even my apps to SMPs will depend on it right. how about a regular masters program.. should i consider that? or do you think a ~31-32 mcat will be sufficient.

Upward trends are always good. ECs are really good, especially your being an EMT. I like the tutoring bit as well.

[]thanks for the honest replies! yes i know my GPA is low, i was hoping the upward trend would sort of make up for it, and perhaps my ECs. speaking on them, how do my ECs look?

Good luck!

so, so far: try for 28+ (30 would be great if i get lucky) on mcat this wednesday and i guess it all depends on that for now, even my apps to SMPs will depend on it right.

A regular MS, like say, in cell bio, which is research heavy will not help. The SMPs are better as they mimic medical school, and you get to know the faculty as well. As such, it serves as a back-dorr into medical school. You can accomplish the same thing with astrong post-bac program. But coursework like "Journal Club", or "Recombinant DNA Techniques" don't help us assess whether you can handle emdical school.

how about a regular masters program.. should i consider that? or do you think a ~31-32 mcat will be sufficient.[/QUOTE]

thanks, at least i have something going for my app lol.

quick question, dont feel too good about my mcat after taking it today.. say i get a low score (<27).. should i quit my EMT job so i can put more effort into studying? or would i need more EMT hours too look good on my app. im thinking of doing at least 500 hours (which would be another month). thing is i would like to get a score before the 2015 mcat so i would have to start studying soon for the jan/feb exam for a possibility of a final retake in may/april if it comes to that. SMPs i have started to consider (just so i don't have another year off) are VCU, drexel, temple (might be a reach), tufts.. but im not sure about SMPs after hearing some mixed reviews about certain programs. i would rather consider DO instead, but i havent looked into many DO schools yet.

thanks, at least i have something going for my app lol.

quick question, dont feel too good about my mcat after taking it today.. say i get a low score (<27).. should i quit my EMT job so i can put more effort into studying? or would i need more EMT hours too look good on my app. im thinking of doing at least 500 hours (which would be another month). thing is i would like to get a score before the 2015 mcat so i would have to start studying soon for the jan/feb exam for a possibility of a final retake in may/april if it comes to that. SMPs i have started to consider (just so i don't have another year off) are VCU, drexel, temple (might be a reach), tufts.. but im not sure about SMPs after hearing some mixed reviews about certain programs. i would rather consider DO instead, but i havent looked into many DO schools yet.

I would just study more/better.

While it can be hard to do while working, it can be done. See if you can cut back if necessary?

yeah i think that would be my best option. i am required to work 2 day shifts, 1 night shift and be on call onece a week so it is kind of tough. i guess i dont need much time to study anyway since i already took it?

MCAT score update! got a 28. I'm pretty neutral.. not too sad not too glad lol. breakdown was PS10, VR8, BS10

Last edited:
MCAT score update! got a 28. I'm pretty neutral.. not too sad not too glad lol. breakdown was PS10, VR8, BS10
You're very much DO territory. If you get lucky and get into a reputable SMP and you get a 3.7+ in it, you may get a chance at MD, but I'm pretty positive they'll ask you to retake the MCAT and it won't be pretty because it'll be the 2015 one.

Last edited:
thought i'd bump this thread instead of making a new one.. i didnt end up applying last year because i thought it was too late.

i've submitted my secondaries to all the FL schools. looking to add a few more.. any ideas? my list so far:

Albany
Quinnipac
Jefferson
Commonwealth
Vermonth
Rosalind Franklin

thanks in advance!

EDIT: also updated my first post. i've submitted aacomas and waiting to be verified. my DO list so far is:

PCOM
DMU
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM

would appreciate input from @Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn. thanks again!

Last edited:
You really should focus on DO and not apply to anymore MD schools. Your GPA is below average for MD schools and that 27 is really low for MD schools.

You really should focus on DO and not apply to anymore MD schools. Your GPA is below average for MD schools and that 27 is really low for MD schools.

forgot to edit, but my stats are now 3.6/28. still low for MD i know but hoping for some in state love!! im not going to add any more md schools, im complete for all FL schools except usf. their secondary is killer and its been over a month now hopefully wont hurt me.

working on DO secondaries as well now. going top heavy with DMU, CCOM, ATSU-KCOM and PCOM