MD 3.58 cGPA / 3.33 sGPA / 523 MCAT || What's realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katssunnyside

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm going to be applying to med schools next cycle and am worried that my GPA is going to severely hinder my application.

GPA: Private university known for grade deflation, though that's not an excuse
cGPA= 3.58, sGPA= 3.33 (All A's and B's with exception of one C+ in Genetics)
Freshmen: 3.72 | Sophomore: 3.49 | Junior: 3.6 | Senior: 3.47 | Post-Baccularate Coursework (2 classes so far): 4.0

MCAT: 523 (129/131/131/132)

Clinical Exposure: Pretty strong. I work in observational and interventional clinical research at a major (Top 10) hospital. I work directly on the hospital floor with patients and providers.

Extracurriculars: Generally strong, plenty of leadership and volunteering.

Research/ Publications: Bench and clinical research experience. 1 conference presentation and 1 poster as first author

Residency: Moved to California last year.

Not an URM

My story is that in undergrad, I stretched myself too thin with extracurriculars/ work and didn't focus on school the way I should have. After graduating I started working in the clinical environment and my entire perspective changed as I realized that being a doctor was the only thing I could see myself doing. I became super motivated and threw my all into studying for the MCAT (while working full time), which I aced. I'm now taking some upper-level science courses (also while working full time) to try and enhance my academic record and am doing very well in those.

tl;dr: Sub-par undergrad GPA, Crazy MCAT, strong EC's; Is my GPA going to be a serious hindrance in my application?

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive interviews but as a CA resident you will need to apply broadly to at least 20 schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All the CA MD schools
Boston University
Tufts
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Pitt
Case Western
Washington U
St. Louis
Tulane
Arizona (both schools)
Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Mayo-Arizona
Where was your state of previous residence? In what state was your undergraduate school?

Where was your state of previous residence? In what state was your undergraduate school?

Thank you for your reply and for the list! There's definently some schools on there I hadn't thought about, so thanks for pointing them out.

I'm from a really small town in one of the states associated with University of Washington's WWAMI program. Other than through this program there are no med schools in my home state. Unfortunently I no longer have residency there so I doubt this will help me much.

I did my undergraduate at a well known (but not ivy league) private university in New England.

Thank you for your reply and for the list! There's definently some schools on there I hadn't thought about, so thanks for pointing them out.

I'm from a really small town in one of the states associated with University of Washington's WWAMI program. Other than through this program there are no med schools in my home state. Unfortunently I no longer have residency there so I doubt this will help me much.

I did my undergraduate at a well known (but not ivy league) private university in New England.

sounds like boston university to me. that grade deflation hurt like a bish