MD & DO 3.59 cGPA/3.61 sGPA/25 MCAT. School list inside.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsb299

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My numbers are in the title (3.59 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA, 25 MCAT, 9 PS/9VR/7BS), and these are my main ECs/awards/etc.:

- Fluent in Spanish, advanced in French (several scholarships and awards from the modern language department plus foreign language honor society)
- ~100 hours of volunteer work in free clinics and the regional hospital of Cusco, Peru
- ~30 hours shadowing between Peruvian doctors and an orthopedic surgeon in the US
- ~50 hours as a Gen. Chem. TA in college
- Varsity soccer player in DIII college (with various athletic and scholar awards)
- Played semi-professional soccer after graduating college

I applied to schools before having taken the MCAT and now I am adding more schools in anticipation of the many rejections I will be receiving. The 25 MCAT was far below my goal and my average on practices, but since that doesn't matter anymore, this is my list (not including schools where I have 0% chance):

(Allopathic)
1. Creighton
2. Drexel
3. Jefferon Medical College (Sidney Kimmel)
4. Commonwealth Medical College
5. University of Missouri (In-State)
(Osteopathic)
6. AT Still Kirksville
7. Chicago at Midwestern
8. Campbell
9. NYIT
10. Philadelphia COM

All MD schools are complete but I only submitted my AACOMAS yesterday. Thanks everyone for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your list may be a little too top heavy with the 25 mcat. CCOM likes high MCAT scores (Median is like a 29.4 or something). I'd suggest adding:

MUCOM
VCOM (all 3)
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM GA
LECOM
WVSOM
KYCOM

Maybe take off a couple that are in locations you couldn't see yourself in. My 2 cents. Good luck!

@rsb299 Very slim-to-no chances at MD... Average chances at DO. That BS score will be a big drag to your application! Since you are fluent in Spanish, you can apply to some Puerto Rican M.D. schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your list may be a little too top heavy with the 25 mcat. CCOM likes high MCAT scores (Median is like a 29.4 or something). I'd suggest adding:

MUCOM
VCOM (all 3)
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM GA
LECOM
WVSOM
KYCOM

Maybe take off a couple that are in locations you couldn't see yourself in. My 2 cents. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I will be adding ACOM, PCOM GA, WVSOM, and KYCOM. For all the others I am missing some prerequisite courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Three of the Puerto Rican schools (all but UPR) accept mainlanders.
I will look into this option although I am wary of the idea of attending medical school in Spanish. I am fluent conversationally, but it is still not my native language and it would provide extra difficulty to the courses (not to mention my science vocabulary is limited).

I will look into this option although I am wary of the idea of attending medical school in Spanish. I am fluent conversationally, but it is still not my native language and it would provide extra difficulty to the courses (not to mention my science vocabulary is limited).
It's not for everybody. Medical school is hard enough without additional challenges. But these are the MD schools where your MCAT is acceptable.

Thank you for the advice! I will be adding ACOM, PCOM GA, WVSOM, and KYCOM. For all the others I am missing some prerequisite courses.
honestly, I would apply to 12-15 schools. Marian, Touro-NV, KCUMB, DMU, and SOMA would also be good choices.

honestly, I would apply to 12-15 schools. Marian, Touro-NV, KCUMB, DMU, and SOMA would also be good choices.
I do not have sufficient behavioral science or biochemistry credit hours to apply at those schools, unfortunately. I have 0 biochemistry credits and only 4 behavioral science credits (from one psychology course). Unless schools are willing to accept economics as a behavioral science, I'm out of luck.

I do not have sufficient behavioral science or biochemistry credit hours to apply at those schools, unfortunately. I have 0 biochemistry credits and only 4 behavioral science credits (from one psychology course). Unless schools are willing to accept economics as a behavioral science, I'm out of luck.

sometimes schools can be flexible, doesn't hurt to contact them and explain your situation.

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is my new list:
  1. Creighton
  2. Drexel
  3. Jefferson
  4. Mizzou
  5. Commonwealth
  6. Ponce
  7. San Juan
  8. AT Still
  9. Campbell
  10. CCOM
  11. NYIT
  12. PCOM
  13. ACOM
  14. PCOM - GA
  15. LMU
  16. Pikeville (KY)
  17. WVSOM
I have contacted VCOM, LECOM, and MUCOM about my behavioral science credit deficiency and will apply if they allow it. After looking through some information about the PR schools I decided that it is something that would match my interests well and would prepare me exceptionally well for what I'm looking to do in the future. If anyone else has any other advice I would be happy to hear it, you all have been so helpful.