This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tebow_time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I am a re-applicant, applied last cycle (2017-2018) with the stats below. Only applied to 10 schools, including most of the UC's, Keck, Loma Linda, CA Northstate, and the 2 Arizona schools. Received 3 II, including CA Northstate (did not attend), UCLA, and Arizona-Phoenix. Waitlisted at Arizona-Phoenix and still have not heard post-II from UCLA. I am therefore prepping to re-apply, and generally realize that I should broaden my school list should I have to reapply. Would love some advice on which schools to add or delete! Hoping to apply to ~30 schools.

cGPA: 3.6, strong upward trend (~3.95 for final 120 units in quarter system)
sGPA:3.7
MCAT: 520 (129/127/132/132)
State: CA (UC-Irvine for undergrad)
ORM

Clinical Volunteering:
-40 hours shadowing internal medicine
-50 hours shadowing emergency medicine (new for this cycle)
-30 hours shadowing primary care (new for this cycle)
-100 hours emergency department volunteering
-100 hours low-income clinic serving medically underserved (new this cycle)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-200+ hours volunteering for Best Buddies at my college (serving college-aged individuals with intellectual disabilities)
-150+ volunteering with church during gap year, involves community outreach and first impressions team (helping welcome and meet needs of new attendees) (new this cycle)

Research: no publications, as the lab I volunteered in only gave authorship to graduate students. however I know ways in which I can emphasize the work I did do in a much better way next cycle
-2+ years research in biochemistry lab...a lot of proteomics work with mass spectrometry studying virus, cell processes, and mechanics of oncogenesis
-next cycle, will talk more about my independent project in which I study a molecular cancer therapeutic
-another project studying effects of various drugs on angiogenesis and tumor formation
-last project studied mechanism of action of predacious, nematocidal fungus A. oligospora

Other:
athletics (Division I baseball)
academic (UC Regent's Scholar and Honors College upon entrance)
SAT/ACT teacher for test prep company during college (so 5+ years)
MCAT teacher for test prep company after college (1+ year)
also teach biology, chemistry, physics, and math from Alg I to Calc for private tutoring school (1+ year)
hobbies: weightlifting/nutrition and piano
intermediate Spanish proficiency (took AP Spanish) and required for current clinic I volunteer at

Below is the school list. Some questions I have include will I have to consider getting screened out at some low-yield schools because of my MCAT, and is it worthwhile to apply to high MCAT schools with high GPAs (Columbia, Sinai, UPENN etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
Albany medical college
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Central Michigan
FAU (low yield)
Rosalind Franklin
Columbia
Cooper Rowan
Creighton
Hofstra
Drexel
Duke
Emory
FIU
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Geisinger Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Mt. Sinai
Keck
Temple
Loma Linda
Loyola Stritch
New York Medical College
Ohio State
Penn State
UPENN
Vermont
Rush
Rutgers/RWJ
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Stanford
Tufts
Tulane
Arizona Tucson
Arizona Phoenix
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Miami
Pitt
Rochester
USF
Western Michigan Stryker
WUSTL
Virginia Tech

Members don't see this ad.

Virginia Tech, Cooper Rowan and the Rutgers schools accept few non residents with no connection to the state. Otherwise your list is good and you should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all.
I am a re-applicant, applied last cycle (2017-2018) with the stats below. Only applied to 10 schools, including most of the UC's, Keck, Loma Linda, CA Northstate, and the 2 Arizona schools. Received 3 II, including CA Northstate (did not attend), UCLA, and Arizona-Phoenix. Waitlisted at Arizona-Phoenix and still have not heard post-II from UCLA. I am therefore prepping to re-apply, and generally realize that I should broaden my school list should I have to reapply. Would love some advice on which schools to add or delete! Hoping to apply to ~30 schools.

cGPA: 3.6, strong upward trend (~3.95 for final 120 units in quarter system)
sGPA:3.7
MCAT: 520 (129/127/132/132)
State: CA (UC-Irvine for undergrad)
ORM

Clinical Volunteering:
-40 hours shadowing internal medicine
-50 hours shadowing emergency medicine (new for this cycle)
-30 hours shadowing primary care (new for this cycle)
-100 hours emergency department volunteering
-100 hours low-income clinic serving medically underserved (new this cycle)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-200+ hours volunteering for Best Buddies at my college (serving college-aged individuals with intellectual disabilities)
-150+ volunteering with church during gap year, involves community outreach and first impressions team (helping welcome and meet needs of new attendees) (new this cycle)

Research: no publications, as the lab I volunteered in only gave authorship to graduate students. however I know ways in which I can emphasize the work I did do in a much better way next cycle
-2+ years research in biochemistry lab...a lot of proteomics work with mass spectrometry studying virus, cell processes, and mechanics of oncogenesis
-next cycle, will talk more about my independent project in which I study a molecular cancer therapeutic
-another project studying effects of various drugs on angiogenesis and tumor formation
-last project studied mechanism of action of predacious, nematocidal fungus A. oligospora

Other:
athletics (Division I baseball)
academic (UC Regent's Scholar and Honors College upon entrance)
SAT/ACT teacher for test prep company during college (so 5+ years)
MCAT teacher for test prep company after college (1+ year)
also teach biology, chemistry, physics, and math from Alg I to Calc for private tutoring school (1+ year)
hobbies: weightlifting/nutrition and piano
intermediate Spanish proficiency (took AP Spanish) and required for current clinic I volunteer at

Below is the school list. Some questions I have include will I have to consider getting screened out at some low-yield schools because of my MCAT, and is it worthwhile to apply to high MCAT schools with high GPAs (Columbia, Sinai, UPENN etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
Albany medical college
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Central Michigan
FAU (low yield)
Rosalind Franklin
Columbia
Cooper Rowan
Creighton
Hofstra
Drexel
Duke
Emory
FIU
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Geisinger Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Mt. Sinai
Keck
Temple
Loma Linda
Loyola Stritch
New York Medical College
Ohio State
Penn State
UPENN
Vermont
Rush
Rutgers/RWJ
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Stanford
Tufts
Tulane
Arizona Tucson
Arizona Phoenix
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Miami
Pitt
Rochester
USF
Western Michigan Stryker
WUSTL
Virginia Tech

With a 520 MCAT, schools like NYMC may be low yield for you. I also do think you could add a couple higher ranked schools - although I would select top tier schools that are more forgiving of a lower GPA. In my experience, Columbia is less so than NYU. Also have you considered Mayo? Particularly the AZ campus since I see you applied to a bunch of schools in AZ - they have an MCAT screen, but no GPA screen so that will probably help you

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 520 MCAT, schools like NYMC may be low yield for you. I also do think you could add a couple higher ranked schools - although I would select top tier schools that are more forgiving of a lower GPA. In my experience, Columbia is less so than NYU. Also have you considered Mayo? Particularly the AZ campus since I see you applied to a bunch of schools in AZ - they have an MCAT screen, but no GPA screen so that will probably help you

Thank you for the advice! Ive taken NYMC out...are there any others I should consider taking off because of the MCAT?

Thank you for the advice! Ive taken NYMC out...are there any others I should consider taking off because of the MCAT?

If you haven't already, take @Faha's advice. Also, if you are still curious about prospective schools you're interested in applying, may not be a bad to invest in the MSAR. You have great stats and by applying to more schools, you should hopefully see much success this cycle.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user