3.6 w/ 28Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.58
cGPA: 3.58

28Q, 10P, 8V, 10B

Amazing extracurriculars that I think will help me stand out, including tutoring students and refugee families, shadowing several doctors, volunteering, clinical and research experience (published), helping the homeless community at free clinic, worked as undergrad academic counselor for other pre-meds, president of an pre-medical honor society, and a few more things.

6 solid LORs, have bonded and gotten to know all of my professors, colleagues, and advisors very well.

Have had good feedback on my personal statement so far.

GPA and MCAT aren't top notch but I began my freshman year with a 3.1 so I have gotten that far. I feel confident on everything else besides those two.

First-timer on SDN, heard awful things about this place, but it's worth a shot. What do you think? :) Applying to all schools across the U.S. btw. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that, if there's any way you could get the motivation to do it, a retake of the MCAT would do a lot of good (if you could bump it up to a 30). I'm not an expert, but just going through
http://medical-schools.findthebest.com/ kind of emphasizes how uncommon it is for those numbers (3.58 & 28) to get you in. I would think maybe at an institution that emphasizes community service, like Georgetown, you'd have a better shot. But even then, I think you're almost a standard deviation away from their MCAT average. Best of luck

I think you can sneak into a mid tier US MD

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can sneak into a mid tier US MD

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I agree. If you apply broadly to the right schools, you'll get in. Just make sure your PS and activities are written really well for your app.

What is your home state? If you live in a state that gives high priority to instate applicants, then you might have MD success. Are you considering DO schools, too?

Unless you're a URM, avoid SOMS that screen out for sub10 sections.

Are you a junior or senior? If you're a junior, then wait and improve your GPA and retake the MCAT.

The 28 really hurts your app considering the trend of applicants nowadays with 30+. If you can raise it up to a 31+ then you'll be in much better shape at mid-tiers.

The MCAT is below avg and GPA is avg for MD matriculants. Therefore, Suggest applying to lower tier schools and your state schools. You're fine for any DO program. Avoid public MD schools outside of your state

28Q, 10P, 8V, 10B

Amazing extracurriculars that I think will help me stand out, including tutoring students and refugee families, shadowing several doctors, volunteering, clinical and research experience (published), helping the homeless community at free clinic, worked as undergrad academic counselor for other pre-meds, president of an pre-medical honor society, and a few more things.

6 solid LORs, have bonded and gotten to know all of my professors, colleagues, and advisors very well.

GPA and MCAT aren't top notch but I began my freshman year with a 3.1 so I have gotten that far. I feel confident on everything else besides those two.

First-timer on SDN, heard awful things about this place, but it's worth a shot. What do you think? :) Applying to all schools across the U.S. btw. Thank you!

28Q, 10P, 8V, 10B

I had almost the same app as yours, except my sGPA was 3.7...I got a few MD interviews but ended up getting into DO school.

Avg MCAT for a matriculant is a 31. You're doing yourself a disservice applying with a low score. Special experiences are great, but your MCAT will get you screened out at probably everywhere but your state schools, and then you won't be at the top of their list.

Retake the MCAT and improve 4~5 points and you'll have a much, much better season.