MD 3.62c and 3.5s ugrad, 4.0 grad, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peship

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, longtime lurker here but decided to make a more anonymous username for application season. Just got my (unbalanced) MCAT score back today and hoping for some advice on where to apply, my chances for this cycle, and whether or not to retake. Here it goes. . .

25 years old, Female, AZ Resident
Undergraduate: B.S. Biomed, ~3.6c, 3.5s, state school
Graduate: M.S. Biology, 4.0c, state school, includes rigorous coursework including Gross AP and Histology, thesis is education-related (previous career path), graduating in December

MCAT: 29 (7PS, 10VR, 12BS)
Just got this back today and feeling pretty disheartened. I ran out of time on the PS and knew it would be lower than my AAMC FL averages for that section (which was 10-11), but had no idea it would be this low. Seriously feel like it was a fluke/test-day anxiety.

ECs:
-Biology supplemental instructor (SI), 3.5 years
-Anatomy lab TA, was recognized for TA of the Year during first year of teaching, 2 years (including summers)
-Full-time technician at clinical neuroscience research lab, including frequent patient contact, 1+ year
-First author poster presentation at state conference, publication in preparation for submission
-Hospital volunteer, >102 hours
-Physician shadowing (mostly primary care, surgery, anesthesiology, both MD and DO), >100 hours
-Medical volunteer in Guatemala clinic with strong LOR from US physician who I worked under
-Food kitchen volunteer, >200 hours
-STEM internship during undergrad, won 2nd place at final symposium for poster presentation
-Charity marathon runner

My heart is set on staying in-state (University of Arizona-Phoenix or University of Arizona-Tucson), but I would appreciate help adding other good mid- and low-tier MD schools that I would have a decent shot applying to. Also, as I am aware a 7 in PS may screen me out from some schools, any input on whether a September retake would be necessary would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other schools where you could receive an interview would be Creighton ( they have an Arizona track for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations), St. Louis, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Rush, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, New York Medical College, Albany, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, George Washington and Georgetown. Also seriously consider DO schools and there are 2 in Arizona. If lack of time was the only reason you did poorly on the PS section then it may be worth retaking the MCAT as a score over 30 would help your chances for an interview.