3.63 sGPA and 3.65cGPA 35MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevvo111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm trying to get a sense of where I'm at in terms of my chances. I'm taking a couple years off and doing some pretty cool stuff to help improve my chances.

My 35 mcat is the result of a retake, and I'm pretty stoked about it because it kind of helps make up for a pretty average GPA. I do have one fatal flaw, which was a C in orgo lab. It still haunts me to know I got such a terrible grade considering how well I did in the actual class (A).

Anyways, figured I would ask what my chances were at top 20 schools. I'm a VA resident, so I'm definitely applying to all instate schools, but I'd like to explore life in a different environment outside of the state.

My recs will be great (research prof, bio teacher, doc I'm working with, anthropology prof, all know me well and I've heard have talked highly about me)

I did some sweet research, got a poster out of it and a thesis, graduated magna cum laude from a fairly competitive school.

My EC are things I can talk about for days because I loved them. Things I am lacking are serious shadowing/clinical experience. I've shadowed maybe 2 doctors for a total of 15 hours maybe. With this next year, I'll have a chance to shadow more docs and really solidify my understanding of the profession and know why exactly I want to go into medicine.

Overall, I think I'm a pretty solid applicant, well rounded and all, but I fear my GPA will exclude me from consideration at many of the programs I'm looking into, mainly one's in large cities, which unfortunately also correlates to top 20 schools.

My PS has been reviewed a couple times, a few people loved it, a few people said it needs work, so I'm definitely going to improve it and make sure it flows better but in the end I'm going to keep it so it's representative of me. I'm planning on pre writing secondaries so I can submit them ASAP once receiving them.

Any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, so I'm trying to get a sense of where I'm at in terms of my chances. I'm taking a couple years off and doing some pretty cool stuff to help improve my chances.

My 35 mcat is the result of a retake, and I'm pretty stoked about it because it kind of helps make up for a pretty average GPA. I do have one fatal flaw, which was a C in orgo lab. It still haunts me to know I got such a terrible grade considering how well I did in the actual class (A).

Anyways, figured I would ask what my chances were at top 20 schools. I'm a VA resident, so I'm definitely applying to all instate schools, but I'd like to explore life in a different environment outside of the state.

My recs will be great (research prof, bio teacher, doc I'm working with, anthropology prof, all know me well and I've heard have talked highly about me)

I did some sweet research, got a poster out of it and a thesis, graduated magna cum laude from a fairly competitive school.

My EC are things I can talk about for days because I loved them. Things I am lacking are serious shadowing/clinical experience. I've shadowed maybe 2 doctors for a total of 15 hours maybe. With this next year, I'll have a chance to shadow more docs and really solidify my understanding of the profession and know why exactly I want to go into medicine.

Overall, I think I'm a pretty solid applicant, well rounded and all, but I fear my GPA will exclude me from consideration at many of the programs I'm looking into, mainly one's in large cities, which unfortunately also correlates to top 20 schools.

My PS has been reviewed a couple times, a few people loved it, a few people said it needs work, so I'm definitely going to improve it and make sure it flows better but in the end I'm going to keep it so it's representative of me. I'm planning on pre writing secondaries so I can submit them ASAP once receiving them.

Definitely beef up your clinical hours ASAP by pursuing regular shadowing and clinical volunteering opportunities.

Your GPA will not keep you out of places, but you'll need to compensate with your MCAT, ECs, research, and the clinical opportunities you pursue this year.

By searching MDapplicants.com, you'll get a sense of where you might be competitive. My gut impression is that top-20s will be a stretch, but not out of reach.

It's great that you're thinking ahead and seeking feedback on SDN. With that said, make sure you focus on gaining new experiences and perspectives throughout the year. Use the time you have to have to really make your app shine, and make sure you're having fun doing it :)

Keep the good work, and best of luck!

Beef up the ECs, show your altruism, and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious: why the push to get into a top-20 medical school? The one that really counts will be where you go for your residency.

thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

my main reasoning for the push for top 20 is just the sole fact that they reside in large cities. I've lived in small towns/ suburban areas all my life and I'd like to explore the large cities. Unfotunately/fortunately this means I'll be applying to pretty much all the top 20 schools since most of them are in cities. I know there are plenty in cities that are not top 20, but many of these are either ridiculously expensive (and have lack luster aid of any sort) or have interesting programs that really don't seem interesting. Who knows, this feeling might change in a year when I start applying, but in the mean time I'm going to check out clinical volunteering at the hospital.

My EC's definitely reflect me as an individual and I'm banking on them to provide support for my (at least I think so) altruistic nature.

Any tips on who to contact for shadowing? I tried my first year in college, and I was faced with no responses many times (this was directed at a huge teaching hospital where I go to school). I have no idea where to start because the few experiences I have had were from contacts I already had. I'd like to shadow multiple specialties, but it seems hard to even get into contact with people.

Nothijg wrong with aiming high. Go for medium-high tier schools. Start with all the ones in PA.