MD 3.64cGPA, 3.40sGPA, 34 MCAT WAMC (School list help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shllleedee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
· Psychology major w/ NM residency. Upward trend in all GPAs, but not as dramatic w/ “all other” courses. Economically disadvantaged, but not URM (E01 according to AMCAS & FAP recipient).
· cGPA: 3.64
· sGPA: 3.40
o My sGPA is so low because I got a D in a College Algebra dual credit course I took in high school. I retook it the next semester and got an A, however, if I had known about the AMCAS GPA calculation I wouldn’t have attempted the course. Without that grade, my GPA would have been 3.53.​
· aoGPA: 3.80
· MCAT #1 (1/26/13): 25 (P:6/V:11/B:8)
o I was very naïve and assumed that watching the online Kaplan lectures would suffice for prep, as I had gotten a 29 on the ACT without any exam prep. My lack of effort was pretty apparent in the score I received.​
· MCAT #2 (8/22/13): 34 (12/10/12)
o I was able to increase my score with 10 weeks of prep while working ~32 hours per week.​

Employment:
· Assitant manager/shift leader (~1.5 years per position) of a food service store during high school. I worked 40 – 50 hours weekly.
· Autopsy technician in a nationally recognized MEs office that trains both pathology residents and forensic path fellows (it’s a med school department). I worked 30 hours weekly while school was in session, 40 hours during breaks and 40 hours since graduating recently. This is somewhat a pseudo-clinical experience, as the job entails performing invasive procedures (techs do the evisceration), but as our patients are deceased, I am supplementing with different clinical experiences.​

Clinical:
· Shadowing:
o Forensic Pathology (from my job): too many hours to count/irrelevant.
o Emergency Med: 16 hours
o Family Med: 10 hours (L&D; more in inpatient soon hopefully)
o Internal Med (Hospital med): 3 hours​

· Volunteering:
o Family Planning clinic (helping room patients/collecting urine samples/etc.): 5-7 hours weekly/29 hours total. I just started a few weeks ago.​

Leadership:
· Assistant manager experience listed above.
· Member of a negotiation’s team (4 members total) for a collective bargaining contract covering ~1,000 members.​

Research:
· Not a formal position, but compiled and coded data for an study in-progress. Hopefully will be completed my the time apps are in and I will have 3rd or 4th authorship, but it’s been a very slow project.​

Publications:
· Online publication in a university compilation of student essays. Requires faculty nomination for consideration.​

School list:

· University of New Mexico
· University of Arizona (both the Tuscon & Phoenix campuses)
· Frank Netter SOM at Quinnipiac University
· Eastern Virginia (maybe)
· Rush (maybe)
· Virginia commonwealth (maybe)
· University of Washington
· NYMC
· University of Vermont
· Penn State
· Medical college of Wisconsin
· Miller SOM Miami
· Hofstra
· Jefferson
· Oregon Science & Health University
· University of Illinois (maybe)
· University of Maryland
· University of Colorado
· Tufts
· Dartmouth
· Rochester
· Emory
· Case Western
· Baylor
Given my stats, is this a pretty decent list? Which four schools would be best to exclude from my list? I’m applying this upcoming cycle (2014-2015).

I’ve listed the schools by increasing LizzyM score. I’m trying to pick 5 reach schools (<1 SD above my LizzyM), 10 within 1 SD of my lizzyM score, and 5 schools >1 SD below my lizzyM score. I’d prefer a school geared more towards reseach, as opposed to primary care focused schools, however, I’m well aware that my limited research experience (outside of my coursework/not for academic credit) will likely work against me in this aspect. I may try to get a new job as a research assistant in the next few months to help improve this portion of my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Your research hours are too low for the research heavies on your list, and with a an avg cGPA,a nd below avg sGPA, despite the nice 2nd MCAT, your reach schools will merely appreciate the donation in your app fees.
You definitely need to get in more clinical volunteer work as well.

Online publications carry very little weight, especially if the paper is not in Pubmed.

My suggestions

· Eastern Virginia
· Rush
· Virginia commonwealth
· NYMC
·· Hofstra
· Jefferson
· Tufts
Drexel
SLU
Loyola
Rosy franklin
Albany
Wake-Forest
Georgetown
GWU
Temple
Creighton
All other new MD programs

Your research hours are too low for the research heavies on your list, and with a an avg cGPA,a nd below avg sGPA, despite the nice 2nd MCAT, your reach schools will merely appreciate the donation in your app fees.
You definitely need to get in more clinical volunteer work as well.

Online publications carry very little weight, especially if the paper is not in Pubmed.

My suggestions

· Eastern Virginia
· Rush
· Virginia commonwealth
· NYMC
·· Hofstra
· Jefferson
· Tufts
Drexel
SLU
Loyola
Rosy franklin
Albany
Wake-Forest
Georgetown
GWU
Temple
Creighton
All other new MD programs

Thank you for the input! Given my small amount of research hours, is it too close to my application cycle to improve this portion of my application by getting a job as a research assistant in the next month or so?

Likewise, will continuing to volunteer at the family planning clinic be sufficient? Sorry for failing to mention that this is a current activity, so I should at least an additional 100 hours of experience at this clinic by June 1st. I'm also trying to set up a few more 8-10 hr shadowing dates in different specialties to bring me to at least 40 hours total.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input! Given my small amount of research hours, is it too close to my application cycle to improve this portion of my application by getting a job as a research assistant in the next month or so?

Likewise, will continuing to volunteer at the family planning clinic be sufficient? Sorry for failing to mention that this is a current activity, so I should at least an additional 100 hours of experience at this clinic by June 1st. I'm also trying to set up a few more 8-10 hr shadowing dates in different specialties to bring me to at least 40 hours total.
it's not too close, any research is better than none. 6 months is a decent amount if you're putting good hours in