3.64gpa/507 mcat, ORM chance at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deantrblssmile

Reaction score
Hi All, do you guys think I have a chance at MD? My mcat is a bit low so i was worried. thoughts? Thanks for the help beforehand :)
  • State/Country of Residence: NJ ORM
  • Ties to other States/Regions: N/a
  • Year in School: just graduated, taking gap year while applying this cycle
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology/ BME at T25 school
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable):
  • Cumulative GPA: amcas 3.68 (AO 3.92) aacomas 3.64 (very strong upward trend 4.0 all of junior and senior yr)
  • Science GPA: amcas 3.48 aacomas 3.64 (very strong upward trend 4.0 all of junior and senior yr)
  • MCAT Score(s): 505-> 507 (128/125/127/127)
  • Research Experience: 400 hrs psych lab, 800 hrs biology lab (got a grant for this research)
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): Honors thesis/ Thesis Presentation/2 Posters
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 400hrs hospital volunteer, 150hrs service trip, working as EMT gap year and free clinic volunteer
  • Physician Shadowing: 370 hrs (geriatrics/EM/neurologist/colorectal surgery)
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100 hrs doing science demonstrations for children, CTL and 7cups
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: on exec board for multiple clubs
  • Other Employment History: tutor and teaching assistant for multiple years
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable):
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): sure ig
  • Medical School List: applying MD and DO (yes ik im applying to a lot but dont want to reapply)

MD: albany,arizona tuscon, carle illinois, commonwealth, cooper, creighton,drexel,east virginia,hackensack,loyola,wisconsin,michigan state,NYmedical college,nova southeastern,will beaumont, penn state, quinnipac,RWJ,NJMS, rosalind frank, st louis, temple,toledo, tulane, missouri kansas city,Uvermont, virginia commonwealth,Vtech,wayne state, wright state, Cali U of science and medicine, hofstra,west virginia, einstein, GW, jefferson, pitt,wake forest,case western

DO: pcom,nyitcom,msucom,lecom,tuoroNY/CA, rowan,vcom,wvcom,alabamacom,chicagocom,unecom,liberty,marian and california health sciences com

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Arizona Tucson, Missouri, Toledo, Michigan State accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Case Western and Pittsburgh are unrealistic with your stats. You could add these schools :
TCU-UNT
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida

Arizona Tucson, Missouri, Toledo, Michigan State accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Case Western and Pittsburgh are unrealistic with your stats. You could add these schools :
TCU-UNT
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida

Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely look those schools up :) Do you think I have a fair chance at the other schools in my list?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive interviews at many of the DO schools. The NJ schools are the most likely in your MD list but you could receive interviews at the other schools too.

I received a few acceptances to MD schools with similar stats.
Some notes-
1) I would double-check alot of your OOS schools, off the top of my head, I recognize some that devote the majority of their student body to in-state
2) Tulane operates on a very accelerated cycle, make sure to have your materials in there as soon as you can
3) Alot of these schools now explicitly require/strongly recommend a committee letter (VCU, GW, PSU, and some others). I don't think you should apply to them if you don't have one
4) Consider Rush. Miami and Georgetown may be more fruitful than schools like Pitt, CWRU, and SLU due to what I perceive as to be more of leniency with numbers from previous threads (that was my interpretation)

I received a few acceptances to MD schools with similar stats.
Some notes-
1) I would double-check alot of your OOS schools, off the top of my head, I recognize some that devote the majority of their student body to in-state
2) Tulane operates on a very accelerated cycle, make sure to have your materials in there as soon as you can
3) Alot of these schools now explicitly require/strongly recommend a committee letter (VCU, GW, PSU, and some others). I don't think you should apply to them if you don't have one
4) Consider Rush. Miami and Georgetown may be more fruitful than schools like Pitt, CWRU, and SLU due to what I perceive as to be more of leniency with numbers from previous threads (that was my interpretation)
Thank you so much for your response!! I PM'd you !