3.65 sGPA, 3.28 cGPA, 37 MCAT, currently PharmD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lambda7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Pharm.D student (P2 year at good school) but really want to go for MD instead. I'm wondering what my chances are for this cycle.

B.S. Mathematics
3.65 sGPA
2.85 nsGPA
3.28 cGPA
37 MCAT (14VR/12PS/11BS)

My grades have been very good for the past ~70 credit hours, but I had several bad undergrad semesters.

~25 shadowing hrs.

Volunteered at childen's hospital for 18 mo. (2.5hr/wk) playing with kids and answering questions. I have a few non-health-related volunteer experiences also.

Math research for 1 semester resulting in a paper >5 years ago.

Employment history is diverse but unrelated to healthcare.

Do you think it's worth applying late this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Are those GPAs counting your PharmD courses? Be sure you calculate your undergrad GPA separately.

Not worth applying this late for this cycle either way.

I also can't speak from direct experience, but I've heard it's frowned upon to apply without planning to finish a degree towards which you're already working. Why do you want to change/why aren't you willing to finish your program?

Are those GPAs counting your PharmD courses? Be sure you calculate your undergrad GPA separately.

Not worth applying this late for this cycle either way.

I also can't speak from direct experience, but I've heard it's frowned upon to apply without planning to finish a degree towards which you're already working. Why do you want to change/why aren't you willing to finish your program?

Thanks for the input. My GPAs include PharmD. I'll recalculate undergrad separately, but this would basically slightly lower cGPA and not change sGPA (I have ~180 credits from undergrad).

As for the PharmD I'm not sure what to do. My seat cannot be given to another student if I leave the program. Finishing will cost me 3 years & $100k loans + lost salary etc. I really want to pursue medicine and I feel like finishing the program at this point is too much of a sacrifice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask why you went to pharmacy school in the first place?
I was between the two for a while, had all my ducks in a row (so to speak) for pharmacy school.
So, I decided to wait and see. I'm going to apply to med school and see if I can get in.
I owe it to myself to try, but I ultimately decided that going to pharmacy school because the path to get in was easier (for me, anyway) was a disservice to my future.

Can I ask why you went to pharmacy school in the first place?
I was between the two for a while, had all my ducks in a row (so to speak) for pharmacy school.
So, I decided to wait and see. I'm going to apply to med school and see if I can get in.
I owe it to myself to try, but I ultimately decided that going to pharmacy school because the path to get in was easier (for me, anyway) was a disservice to my future.

I've done a lot of growing up the past few years. I thought I would be happy in pharmacy, but I really want to actually see patients and help treat/diagnose.

I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the program to fully commit and focus on my application for next year, but only if I would have a reasonable shot at an MD acceptance. Do you think my low cGPA is going to hurt my chances?

Last edited: