3.65gpa 36MCAT chances at these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonGom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.65 GPA
~3.4-3.5 Science GPA (unsure)
36MCAT (Nov 2014) - 97th percentile
~13PS 11R 12BS

EC's (14 but they are all so so)
ACF Institute (Church conference)
Shadowing (heart surgeon): 78 hours
Astronomy Club: VP
Poster 1
Poster 2
SURE Fellowship
Deacon of SDA Church
Teaching Assit
Dean's List (my school's honor roll for a semester)
Research (1000+ hours based on pay)
Feeding the Homeless (church ministry): 10 hours
Grady Memorial Hospital Volunteer: 92 hours
Intramural Soccer (captain - 3 seasons)
EASC (church organization - President)

PS
was about growing up as a poor immigrant --> pursued research in undergrad because wanted to be doctor --> experiences volunteering in underserved communities made me realize how much I wanted to serve underserved peoples
Not super confident about my PS but not too unconfident

Submission
June 30 2015 (is this really late?)

Schools I applied to:

Emory (target)
MCG (at GRU) (target)
Medical U of South Carolina (safety)
Mercer (in GA) (safety)
Penn State U COM
UAB SOM
UNC SOM
USAB SOM
Univ of Ten Health Science Center COM
U of Virginia SOM
Vanderbilt (reach)
Virginia Commonwealth SOM
Brown (target)
Cornell (reach)

The target schools are ones that I really want to get into. What are my chances at these schools? Thanks guys, I am about to die from anxiety!!!

Members don't see this ad.

No Loma Linda?
Nah schools to the west are too far for me. And growing up (since Loma Linda is a med school of SDA church) people always told me to go to Loma Linda...so I grew up not wanting to go to loma lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah schools to the west are too far for me. And growing up (since Loma Linda is a med school of SDA church) people always told me to go to Loma Linda...so I grew up not wanting to go to loma lol
Too bad, nevertheless, you should be fine with the schools you listed.

All I'll say is your applying to a whole lot of schools that take very few OOS applicants: South Carolina, USN, UNC, Tennessee. Being from a nearby state will help, but enough that it will overcome average stats as an OOS applicant at those schools? I'd be skeptical. I wouldn't call UVA a particularly strong choice OOS either and Brown heavily favors their own undergrads. Despite the MCAT the 3.4 science GPA is well below average for alot of these schools including those public schools that take few OOS that you applied to and is the reason why 'd be hesitant to call Cornell a realistic reach.

That said: You should have some luck with your two state schools, Penn State and VCU and Emory isn't out of question either. Perhaps if you get lucky you'll get a call for an interview from Vanderbilt as well. You can definitely help your odds though by increasing more schools you have a shot at interviewing for. Wake Forest, Jefferson, Albany, Oakland, Quinnipac, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rush, Tulane and Creighton would be the first places I would look if you were trying to add more schools that you have a legitimate chance of interviewing for.

You can definitely help your odds though by increasing more schools you have a shot at interviewing for. Wake Forest, Jefferson, Albany, Oakland, Quinnipac, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rush, Tulane and Creighton would be the first places I would look if you were trying to add more schools that you have a legitimate chance of interviewing for.

Wow thanks for the information. I thought I was applying to state schools that were better at accepting oos students. I will definitely apply to a few more.

Some others to consider: Wake Forest, Duke, Case Western, Temple, Jefferson, SLU, Vermont, EVMS, VCU, BU