3.67 sGPA, 3.63 oGPA, 23 MCATx2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illinoisee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

I'm an Illinois resident who recently graduated from a strong science program in Illinois. Obviously, the most glaring and disappointing part of my application are my two MCAT scores...

1. 23; 6/7/10 July 2012
2. 23; 8/7/8 April 2013

Both scores were pretty big shocks to me and introduced me to test anxiety that I've never experienced before. I know what you're all thinking either apply broadly or take the MCAT again. Unfortunately, I spent my entire summer riding my bike from the east coast to the west coast to raise money for cancer research and patient support services. I got back to Illinois in early August and I felt there wasn't enough time to adequately prepare for a retake. So I guess the position I'm in now is to apply broadly...

Besides my MCAT issues, the rest of my application is fairly strong (compared to other comments I've seen in chances for other applicants)

LORs (All very strong)

DO letter:
He's a graduate of CCOM, interviewed applicants after his graduation, and I've spent a lot of time learning about osteopathic medicine shadowing him. His intimate knowledge of the application process can only help my cause.

Two science letters:
Professor of Immunology and Professor of Organic Chemistry

Non Science:
Professor of Advertising

Volunteering:
Soup Kitchen Coordinator

Research
Professor of Kinesiology

Misc
Oral Surgeon

ECs
2500+ hours in my research lab. (pending publication)
2000+ hours in fraternity leadership and volunteering
20 hours/week Campus IT job
500+ hours shadowing DOs, MDs, nurses, and oral surgeons
2000+ hours assisting various charitable organizations in Illinois.
Service trips to Costa Rica and New Orleans

Otherwise, my grades have a strong upward trend through college. I've completed several final drafts of secondary essays for schools in the midwest area, but could definitely appreciate a definitive list of schools for other places I should apply.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks!

A couple of more points in the mcat would have given you a great shot, but you can only apply with what you have... I think you have a 50/50 shot if you apply to schools like ACOM, WVSOM, WCUCOM, CUSOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM-GA, VCOMs, LECOM-SH, SOMA, Marian and LUCOM...

+1 to temperature except for the 50/50 part. I predict 5+ interviews, and solid chances despite the 23.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to temperature except for the 50/50 part. I predict 5+ interviews, and solid chances despite the 23.

I've heard from both the DO I shadow and other sources that DO schools like looking at the overall candidate and not just the numbers. Any truth to that in your guys' experience?

I've heard from both the DO I shadow and other sources that DO schools like looking at the overall candidate and not just the numbers. Any truth to that in your guys' experience?

Personal exp...no. But it is a common theme here on SDN that DO's are more holistic. I would be genuinely surprised if you didn't get at least 5 IIs with those EC's.

A 23 MCAT is pretty much at the bottom of the pile of competetiveness. Your best bet will be with newest DO programs, or those that take the best composite, which would be 8/7/10 = 25 in your case. You would not get an interview at my school, alas.

Hey Everyone,

I'm an Illinois resident who recently graduated from a strong science program in Illinois. Obviously, the most glaring and disappointing part of my application are my two MCAT scores...

1. 23; 6/7/10 July 2012
2. 23; 8/7/8 April 2013

Both scores were pretty big shocks to me and introduced me to test anxiety that I've never experienced before. I know what you're all thinking either apply broadly or take the MCAT again. Unfortunately, I spent my entire summer riding my bike from the east coast to the west coast to raise money for cancer research and patient support services. I got back to Illinois in early August and I felt there wasn't enough time to adequately prepare for a retake. So I guess the position I'm in now is to apply broadly...

Besides my MCAT issues, the rest of my application is fairly strong (compared to other comments I've seen in chances for other applicants)

LORs (All very strong)

DO letter:
He's a graduate of CCOM, interviewed applicants after his graduation, and I've spent a lot of time learning about osteopathic medicine shadowing him. His intimate knowledge of the application process can only help my cause.

Two science letters:
Professor of Immunology and Professor of Organic Chemistry

Non Science:
Professor of Advertising

Volunteering:
Soup Kitchen Coordinator

Research
Professor of Kinesiology

Misc
Oral Surgeon

ECs
2500+ hours in my research lab. (pending publication)
2000+ hours in fraternity leadership and volunteering
20 hours/week Campus IT job
500+ hours shadowing DOs, MDs, nurses, and oral surgeons
2000+ hours assisting various charitable organizations in Illinois.
Service trips to Costa Rica and New Orleans

Otherwise, my grades have a strong upward trend through college. I've completed several final drafts of secondary essays for schools in the midwest area, but could definitely appreciate a definitive list of schools for other places I should apply.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks!

A 23 MCAT is pretty much at the bottom of the pile of competetiveness. Your best bet will be with newest DO programs, or those that take the best composite, which would be 8/7/10 = 25 in your case. You would not get an interview at my school, alas.

Not true. I got an interview at a very established school with a low mcat score.. I have no idea what school you work at, but I think you should drop the superior attitude ("you wouldn't get an interview at my school" - seriously???) Adcom or not, don't you have better things to do than toot you own horn - perhaps maybe reading this guys PS or EC's instead of just going on the numbers. DO schools are not MD schools. They all accept students with low MCAT's.

Not true. I got an interview at a very established school with a low mcat score.. I have no idea what school you work at, but I think you should drop the superior attitude ("you wouldn't get an interview at my school" - seriously???) Adcom or not, don't you have better things to do than toot you own horn - perhaps maybe reading this guys PS or EC's instead of just going on the numbers. DO schools are not MD schools. They all accept students with low MCAT's.

Did you get in with a 23?

It's possible, but the 23 is a major problem. DO schools have been getting significantly more competitive in terms of MCAT and GPA so you probably will be at the lower end of competitiveness for the MCAT. DO schools definitely look for more well-rounded candidates where MD schools make harder initial cuts based on MCAT and GPA, so you're definitely much more competitive going the DO route (most MD schools will see a 23 and toss your app out). From what I've heard letters are kind of the last thing they look at if they're trying to decide between a few applicants, but with the number of hours you've got in volunteering and other stuff I would think you'd get a few looks.

I also applied to CCOM this year with a 28. I've got about 100 hours shadowing and about 250 volunteer hours and I'm still pretty confident I'll get a few interviews. Don't get too discouraged about the MCAT, 23 hurts, but it could be worse. Good luck though!

Last edited:
It's possible, but the 23 is a major problem. DO schools have been getting significantly more competitive in terms of MCAT and GPA so you probably will be at the lower end of competitiveness for the MCAT. DO schools definitely look for more well-rounded candidates where MD schools make harder initial cuts based on MCAT and GPA, so you're definitely much more competitive going the DO route (most MD schools will see a 23 and toss your app out). From what I've heard letters are kind of the last thing they look at if they're trying to decide between a few applicants, but with the number of hours you've got in volunteering and other stuff I would think you'd get a few looks.

I also applied to CCOM this year with a 28. I've got about 100 hours shadowing and about 250 volunteer hours and I'm still pretty confident I'll get a few interviews. Don't get too discouraged about the MCAT, 23 hurts, but it could be worse. Good luck though!

not all schools. Plenty of new schools like ACOM, CUSOM, and Liberty have continued to open up and accept low stat (ie, 3.2/23) applicants by the barge load.

I have immense respect for Goro and believe that his intention is to show potential applicants how a 23 will be viewed right off the bat as unacceptable for interview. However, I would agree that (which I believe you imply) without knowing what college he is at it, the advice doesn't hold much weight since there would still be good established schools that would interview/accept someone with a 23.

TPM, that's exactly what I said:

A 23 MCAT is pretty much at the bottom of the pile of competetiveness. Your best bet will be with newest DO programs, or those that take the best composite, which would be 8/7/10 = 25 in your case.

A 23 isn't lethal, but in not very competetive.

And seriously, leggo, we don't interview people with 23, unless they're related to a donor or meet our mission in a very special way.

I have immense respect for Goro and believe that his intention is to show potential applicants how a 23 will be viewed right off the bat as unacceptable for interview. However, I would agree that (which I believe you imply) without knowing what college he is at it, the advice doesn't hold much weight since there would still be good established schools that would interview/accept someone with a 23.

TPM, that's exactly what I said:

A 23 MCAT is pretty much at the bottom of the pile of competetiveness. Your best bet will be with newest DO programs, or those that take the best composite, which would be 8/7/10 = 25 in your case.

A 23 isn't lethal, but in not very competetive.

And seriously, leggo, we don't interview people with 23, unless they're related to a donor or meet our mission in a very special way.
What I'm saying is that it doesn't hold true of all programs that may be ranked as being more competitive, and without knowing your school, someone is left guessing, which means they will probably just apply and hope your program is not one of the better ranked ones that they applied to.