MD & DO 3.68 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA - Former Law Student/Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noleknight16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went to law school for one semester. Absolutely hated it there and was accumulating too much debt to want to continue something I didn't enjoy or want to do anymore. I was in the top third of my class in law school, so I did fine grade wise. Just purely a decision based on my happiness level and the poor job market didn't help either. I wanted to get involved in a science career and know I will have a feeling of fulfillment through helping others.

I had to go back to undergrad to take my pre req classes and other science classes to raise my sGPA. I took some of the classes at community college (due to schedule problems with the university) but most of them were done at the university level. I am a Florida resident.

Expecting my sGPA to be 3.5 after this summer semester.

ECs:
  • Coached youth flag football for a few seasons - 100 hrs
  • League supervisor for an adult sports league in my city (paid) - 350 hours
  • Trained my dog to be a pet therapist and took her to nursing homes and clinics - 75 hours
  • Research Assistant for NASA funded research on team dynamics for going to Mars and other long distance space exploration missions - 300 hours
  • Volunteer at my local hospital's surgical area - 170 hours
  • Just got a job at the beginning of the month as a Medical Scribe for an outpatient procedure clinic - ~1000 hours between now and next fall

MCAT score:

pending - realistically looking at ~28 but can see a 30.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Patient+Bear_70d1de_3973404.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you look good for DO programs, but MD will be a stretch.

It's hard to say with no MCAT. Have you shadowed any docs? When are you applying?

My shadowing is only through my scribe job. Will contact a DO to shadow too.

I'm going to apply as early as possible. Likely the first week in June.