3.68 cum, 3.66 BCPM, 29 MCAT, NY resident, white (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just now got my MCAT score back and it was a 29 9/10/10 (PS/VR/BS) which was a little surprising (2/3 points lower than my average.) But my primary has been verified for over a month and I already have basically all of the secondaries submitted and paid so I just have to go for it. Any feedback on how I'm looking with my school list/ possible last minute additions would be great.

NY resident, 3.68 cum, 3.66 science (last three semesters have been straight A's so STRONG upward trend from my first year.)

Attended undergrad in Iowa (if that's relevant.)

On here I previously have been told I have "above average" EC's (fraternity president, recent first author publication, hospice volunteer, chemistry tutor, other standard shadowing/ volunteering/ other stuff that fills up all 15 experience slots.)

School List:
Albany Medical College
Drexel
GW
Penn State
Rush
SUNY stony brook,
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Temple
U. of Vermont
Tufts
University of Iowa
University of Rochester

Any help would be great! I should also point out that I have a parent who's on faculty at one of the SUNY's, how much will that help me?

EDIT: I also originally applied to NYMC but my lOR's turned out to not quite meet their requirements (I don't have a committee at my school.)

Update 2: It turns out I also do not meet the LOR requirements for Quinnipiac or Jefferson.. My undergrad school is killing me...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your school list is appropriate for your stats. However, since your MCAT is 29 I suggest you apply more broadly to increase your chances for more interviews. You could add Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton.

Concur, but delete U IA and U VT. Since you're in NY, suggest NYITCOM, Touro-NY, and PCOM

I think your school list is appropriate for your stats. However, since your MCAT is 29 I suggest you apply more broadly to increase your chances for more interviews. You could add Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for the advice!

Concur, but delete U IA and U VT. Since you're in NY, suggest NYITCOM, Touro-NY, and PCOM
Thank you for the advice! However, I'm curious why you suggest removing U VT. From what I've seen, it seems they are less competitive than some of the other private schools I have on my list. Am I wrong about that?

True, and yes, your MCAT is in striking distance of their median MCAT score, but you're still 4 points below that, and close to their 10% line, so I think you might have better luck elsewhere, like at VCU, or EVMS.

Thank you for the advice! However, I'm curious why you suggest removing U VT. From what I've seen, it seems they are less competitive than some of the other private schools I have on my list. Am I wrong about that?

True, and yes, your MCAT is in striking distance of their median MCAT score, but you're still 4 points below that, and close to their 10% line, so I think you might have better luck elsewhere, like at VCU, or EVMS.

Yes, I see now your right, I am in there 10th percentile. I already submitted everything for them so that's disappointing. I will definitely look into VCU. But EVMS is out of the question, for OOS this cycle they pre-screen out anyone with a sub 30 MCAT, just fyi.

Yes, I see now your right, I am in there 10th percentile. I already submitted everything for them so that's disappointing. I will definitely look into VCU. But EVMS is out of the question, for OOS this cycle they pre-screen out anyone with a sub 30 MCAT, just fyi.
Not so sure that's entirely true. I scored a 29 and have received a secondary from EVMS this cycle (OOS).

Not so sure that's entirely true. I scored a 29 and have received a secondary from EVMS this cycle (OOS).
Really? Well then someone on that schools thread was wrong.. Thank you for the info, in that case I might add them after all.

Really? Well then someone on that schools thread was wrong.. Thank you for the info, in that case I might add them after all.

Yup! I got an e-mail with the title "SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION" two days after submitting my primary to them.