3.69c, 34Q, VA resident- help picking school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jen1jen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am trying to finalize my school list and I'm getting worried. I plan on applying to all VA schools (UVA-probably a reach with my GPA, EVMS, MCV, VTC) but need help deciding where else to apply. I'd like to stay on the East Coast, preferably in a big city.

EC's
Athletic trainer for Division I sport at my school (3 years-includes extensive shadowing experience, considered a student athlete by NCAA standards for hours worked)
In leadership position for large community service organization
Completed independent study/research for autism center and helped set up tutoring program for kids in the area (I personally work with middle school aged child)
Research for 2 years with school of public health (1 publication in which I am the sole author, 1 poster presentation)
Member of dance organization

I think I have pretty solid letters of rec.

Where else should I apply?? I plan on around 15 schools, but I'd love some input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So you don't have any clinical experience?

Assuming you have at least some...

Apply to maybe a few reach schools you are interested in, a few public schools in your neighboring states and 8 or so mid tier private schools on the east coast.

I have shadowed doctors but I consider being an athletic trainer clinical experience (and I think most ad coms will too once I detail all that I've seen and been able to do)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have shadowed doctors but I consider being an athletic trainer clinical experience (and I think most ad coms will too once I detail all that I've seen and been able to do)

Huh?

Seeing things as an athletic trainer is not the same as clinical experience or the things seen in a professional medical clinic. I'm sure you have seen things which will be valued by ADCOM but that doesn't emphasize the responsibility or role of a physician which can mainly be seen in a health care setting.