3.6c/3.5s/32 MCAT...chances? :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpperry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Just looking for some opinions here:

Residence: MI
B.S. Chemistry.
3.6 cum (strong upward trend from my first semester), 3.5 sci, 13/10/9 MCAT (only taken it once).

Extracurriculars
-~100 hours of clinical volunteering (ER, Radiology)
-Currently working as a phlebotomist, I've worked inpatient, outpatient, and nursing homes.
-3 years of college band (drumline).
-3 years teaching high school/young college percussion students, as well as high school band programs.
-3 years of competitive music during the winter months.
-2 summers touring with a musical group, traveling around the country.
-1 year of research in a cognitive psychology lab as an undergrad assistant.

Also currently starting to volunteer at Red Cross blood drives and working on getting some shadowing experience during my gap year.

I'm looking to apply to all MD schools in Michigan, a few in the midwest region, and a few others around the country in my grade/MCAT range.

My extensive music background has taken a toll on my GPA from traveling on weekends/over the summer, extensive time commitments, etc. but I think it makes me a more unique applicant.

Do I have a shot at the MI schools? My #1 would be UMich, which is where I started working as a phlebotomist.

Members don't see this ad.

B.S. Chemistry.
3.6 cum (strong upward trend from my first semester), 3.5 sci, 13/10/9 MCAT (only taken it once).

Extracurriculars
-Currently working as a phlebotomist, I've worked inpatient, outpatient, and nursing homes.
-3 years teaching high school/young college percussion students, as well as high school band programs.

Also currently starting to volunteer at Red Cross blood drives and working on getting some shadowing experience during my gap year.

I'm looking to apply to all MD schools in Michigan, a few in the midwest region, and a few others around the country in my grade/MCAT range.

My extensive music background has taken a toll on my GPA from traveling on weekends/over the summer, extensive time commitments, etc. but I think it makes me a more unique applicant.

Do I have a shot at the MI schools? My #1 would be UMich, which is where I started working as a phlebotomist.

You are on the low side for UMich and as such it would be a pretty big reach. You can still apply and see what happens though. You look good overall for getting in somewhere.

Your stats are at or above the median at all Michigan schools except U Michigan. Your MCAT is hazardously close to their 10th percentile (31) and their median gpa is 3.8 sci/3.9 cum!

Michigan is a great state to be IS. Over 30% of all IS applicants get into MI schools. You are a strong applicant. Apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! Just another question: is the 9 in Bio Sci going to hurt my application significantly? Or is the overall score strong enough to where it isn't work the risk to retake?

I only ask because some of the schools in MSAR are within my range for overall MCAT but my BS score is kind of an outlier. I just don't know how much schools look at individual scores versus overall (especially if the overall score is relatively strong). I appreciate everyone's help.

I know of no school that screens out a sub-score of 9.

I figured as much, just wondering after looking at the MSAR numbers. Wasn't as concerned with the hard screen as I am with the actual application review itself. My GPAs are kind of below average for a lot of schools, although my total MCAT is right on par with a lot of them.

I think you'll be OK for all MI schools, and many low-tier schools as well. Caveat: your numbers are well below avg (but in striking distance) for U MI.

B.S. Chemistry.

Extracurriculars

Whoa, where did you march?
Sorry for the incredibly late reply, but I marched with the 2012 Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps, as well as 2013 Rhythm X in WGI.