MD 3.7/32, Average as they come, School List and Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A7X

Black Card Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, need some help finalizing my school list and chances on my app.

Humanities Major
State School
NJ Resident, Asian ORM

Stats:
cGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.65
MCAT: 32 (9/11/12)

LOR's: Have 4, will be in a committee letter format, 3 should be strong, not sure about the last one, but too late now I suppose.

EC's:
  • One year of Clinical Research at a hospital, presented poster on an independent project. Worked directly with patients.
  • One year in a social neuroscience lab. Useful experience, but ultimatley yielded no results
  • ~75 hours of volunteering at a hospital
  • ~300 hours of Soup Kitchen volunteering
  • ~60 Hours of volunteering on campus
  • One year of TA'ing Biology 1 & 2 Labs.
  • Multiple Scholarships (for attending Undergrad) and Deans List
  • ~50 hours of various shadowing activities
  • New Student Advisor, worked in this position for 6 semesters including summers
  • Private Tutor for certain subjects, over 3 years and 600 hours.
  • Taught at my local Sunday School for 5 years, nearly 1000 hours
  • Member of a few clubs, not sure if I'll mention these on my app
  • I run 5K's, and play a lot of intramural/rec sports (should I even include this in my app lol)
School List:
  • NJMS
  • RWJMS
  • Cooper
  • Einstein
  • UMiami
  • Hofstra
  • Dartmouth
  • Temple
  • Penn State
  • Drexel
  • Jefferson
  • NYMC
  • Albany
  • Georgetown
  • George Washington
  • Rush
  • Loyola
  • Boston
  • Tufts
  • Wake Forest
  • Creighton
  • Wisconsin
  • SLU
  • Emory
  • Tulane
  • TCMC
  • Rochester
  • Columbia (I suppose reach would be understatement)
  • Cornell (Reach)
  • NYU (Reach)
  • Northwestern (Reach)
Ideally I'd like to get this list down to 20 schools, with maybe 2 or 3 reaches. I know the NJ schools are my best bet but are there any schools I should remove or add? Also, I'm not too sure about DO, but I may apply to a few DO schools in my area. Would you say I have solid chances at MD schools?

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have an excellent list. The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you have a 2/3 chance for a MD acceptance but since you are applying broadly and early your odds are better. You can delete Columbia and Cornell but Northwestern and NYU are not as far a reach as those 2. Otherwise keep all the other schools on your list. To increase your chances for admission add Oakland Beaumont, Rosalind Franklin and Western Michigan. Add a few DO schools in your area.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! What do you make of my ec's? Are they good enough? All input is welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right on the medians for NJMS and RWJ, so you have a good shot at them.

Good list overall but 31 schools is a lot; if you're looking to cut then Gtown, GWU, Columbia, and Cornell are some options.