3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vernhart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main concern is my sGPA and lack of research (aside from capstone courses):
Just a quick reiteration of stats: MCAT: 517 (96%)
cGPA-3.7
sGPA-3.5
Here is my list so far:
Albany
Rosalind
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Dartmouth ?
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana (IS)
Loyola
MC Wisconsin
NYMC
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
Rochester ?
Rush
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Thoughts? @Goro @LizzyM and others?

I have had a mix of opinions on whether I can apply to some schools with tougher stats, the main concern being my lack of research. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good list! I don't have my new MCAT score converter handy...a 517 is like what for the old MCAT 33? 35???

Albany
Rosalind
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana (IS)
Loyola
MC Wisconsin
NYMC
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
Rochester
Hofstra
Rush
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Creighton
SLU
u Miami
Oakland-B
Western MI
U Toledo (maybe)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we talking mcat percentile or in terms of average admitted? The situation has changed.

I'm not sure what you are referring to but a 517 is a 35 on the old scale both under the 2015 MCAT percentiles and the updated ones this year

Last edited:
Are we talking mcat percentile or in terms of average admitted? The situation has changed.
A direct comparison of percentiles would make a 517 equivalent to 35.
There is still no new MCAT data on matriculation from AAMC.
Admissions data is similarly unavailable at this time.

A direct comparison of percentiles would make a 517 equivalent to 35.
There is still no new MCAT data on matriculation from AAMC.
Admissions data is similarly unavailable at this time.

MSAR has data posted about applicants and matriculants. Comparing this it seems admissions is viewing 517 similar to 36-37.

I agree a straight percentile of 517 matches to 35, but as you hinted at, that isn't a relevant comparison on its own. I'm more interest in acceptance comparisons, which is on MSAR.

MSAR has data posted about applicants and matriculants. Comparing this it seems admissions is viewing 517 similar to 36-37.

I agree a straight percentile of 517 matches to 35, but as you hinted at, that isn't a relevant comparison on its own. I'm more interest in acceptance comparisons, which is on MSAR.
What is currently listed in the MSAR for the new MCAT is application data, not acceptance.
The first class with the new MCAT has yet to be seated!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is currently listed in the MSAR for the new MCAT is application data, not acceptance.
The first class with the new MCAT has yet to be seated!

You are right, my mistake, I skimmed that section too quickly without considering the classes wouldn't have been finalized.

Regardless, it is interesting that the applicant averages are extremely different for the old and new MCATs.

When trying to say how a new score compares, it's worth respecting scenarios where percentile on shared MCAT content sections are looked upon as more of an accurate direct percentile comparison method. At least I hope admissions compares in this way, as opposed to comparing total, which would compare different things.

You are right, my mistake, I skimmed that section too quickly without considering the classes wouldn't have been finalized.

Regardless, it is interesting that the applicant averages are extremely different for the old and new MCATs.

When trying to say how a new score compares, it's worth respecting scenarios where percentile on shared MCAT content sections are looked upon as more of an accurate direct percentile comparison method. At least I hope admissions compares in this way, as opposed to comparing total, which would compare different things.
My school is looking at a 517 as a 35.

My school is looking at a 517 as a 35.

In retrospect, I guess the equal view does justify that mad rush to take the old MCAT before it became harder to prepare for and more arduous to take.

Thanks for sharing. A 35 is still a respectable score, and I'm guessing most applicants will be compared within new scores anyway this cycle.

@gyngyn @PsychoSocioBioArtistMD I know a school that claimed to have these following stats for its 2016 "admitted applicant" (w.e it means): 518 median, which is expected for that school based on the old MCAT but.... 514 average??! How is that even possible? I mean I know how it is mathematically possible: they have to take a half their class at >518 and the other half at.... <510??! That selection looks very odd.

@gyngyn @PsychoSocioBioArtistMD I know a school that claimed to have these following stats for its 2016 "admitted applicant" (w.e it means): 518 median, which is expected for that school based on the old MCAT but.... 514 average??! How is that even possible? I mean I know how it is mathematically possible: they have to take a half their class at >518 and the other half at.... <510??! That selection looks very odd.
You can only believe what you see in the MSAR. It is not self reported "data."

There's still an adjustment on the schools parts of how old vs new MCAT scores directly compare. It's hard to make too many conclusions off the new MCAT scores, we'll just have to see how things trend in coming years.

As an example you have schools making claims like these that from the outside there appear's to be no real rhyme or reason for.
https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/faqs

There's no world in which a 514 92nd percentile score converts to a 35 directly. But each school is subject to its own interpretations and judgments.
This can also be the danger on overly relying from input on any one school in particular. Someone who calls Baylor in Texas and relies on their interpretation of new MCAT scores as the be all end all is going to have a distorted sense of reality that is not consistent with how other schools view old vs new MCAT scores.