MD 3.7 cGPA 3.65 sGPA 31 MCAT, School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD_Dream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of putting together a list of schools to apply to this cycle and would truly value the advice and opinions of others.

Stats:
3.7 cumulative GPA
3.65 BCPM GPA
31 MCAT (10PS, 8VR, 13BS) - significantly under-performed (2 points below average on both PS and VR sections, lowest scores ever on both PS and VR unfortunately)

The first two years of my undergraduate education were spent at a community college where I fulfilled my biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and math (calculus I&II) requirements.

Freshman GPA - 4.0
Sophomore GPA - 3.61 (Was involved in a car accident a few days prior to final exams in Spring semester and foolishly took finals with a concussion and ended up earning B's in Organic Chemisty II and Calculus II).

I transferred to my state flagship university for my Junior and Senior years and completed advanced biology courses, my physics requirements, and biochemistry I & II.

Junior GPA - 3.5
Senior GPA - 3.77 (father had a heart attack the night before my last final which happened to be Biochemistry II final and I decided to just take the final and get it over with, ultimately did horrible and ended up with a C+ in biochemistry II, only C on transcript)

Extracurriculars:
Shadowed Primary Care Physician and Emergency Clinic Physician 1 year (~200 hrs with each physician, primarily underserved community)
Organized and assisted in food pantry 4 months (~50 hrs, short duration since pantry closed due to lack of funding/donations)
College student tutor 2 years (~300 hrs, tutored freshman biology)
Saturday school tutor 1.5 years (~300 hrs, tutored disadvantaged high school students)

The following were completed during my gap year:

Volunteer EMT-B 6 months (~500 hrs, mostly in an underserved area)
Research 6 months (full time research assistant)

I will be continuing my research, EMT volunteering, and Saturday school tutoring until I (hopefully) matriculate into medical school.

I feel I have a unique life story and am willing to provide the details if it would assist in weighing my chances at various medical schools but I have chosen to omit them to try and reduce the length of an already lengthy post =).

School List:

Georgetown
George Washington
University of Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Einstein
Tufts
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Penn State
University of Miami
University of Maryland (Maryland Resident)
Albany
Temple
Tulane
Drexel
Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson)
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth

I would like to know if my "reach" schools are really within reach as in are they even worth applying to or am I just throwing money away? Also, is my list balanced enough between appropriate reach, match, and "safe" schools?

Please let me know if there is any other pertinent information that I may have excluded which could have an impact. I appreciate any and all comments and apologize for the long post =).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your list needs some work for sure. You have way to many reach schools and some of your reaches are just not very feasible. I predict four interview invitations if you are very lucky......this is not good. Scratch Georgetown and probably George Washington, as they get so many applicants per year that their numbers are not reflective of how competitive they actually are. If you're going to keep one though, keep GW. Drop vandy, penn st, duke, mt. sinai because your numbers are not competitive. Drop rutgers (unless you are a minority) since you are not a jersey resident. The rest of your list is OK. VCU is alright I guess, I know they matriculate about the same percentage of IS and OOS applicants but the acceptance rate for OOS is pretty low. You still need some more mid-tier and low-tier schools. Look into jefferson, vermont, loyola (maybe), MCW, creighton, Hofstra, TCMC (safe school), maybe eastern virginia (similar to VCU story), and that's all I got of the top of my head but definitely look into other schools. Many "mid-tier" schools are going to be "reaches" for you. You are well on your way though! With your credentials you should get some MD acceptances if you apply broadly!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with DaMedDude on his schools to add.

The clinical ECs look pretty strong here and all of the numbers are competitive. I think he should have some reaches along with all the low and mid-tier MDs that were mentioned. Rush may be a good fit. He would also have his pick of DO schools with those stats.

Thank you both for your assistance, I really appreciate it. Any other guidance is also greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your input @gyngyn again I truly appreciate it. I welcome anyone else who cares to chime in as well. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!