3.7 cGPA/3.6sGPA but 499 MCAT... can I get into DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolGrind96

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have been struggling with if I should apply this cycle with my stats, do a post bacc, or retake the MCAT. My application includes:
- BS in neurobiology w/ minor in leadership and medical health entomology
- 3.74 cGPA/ 3.6 sGPA
- 499 MCAT
- 1 year (1000+ hours) working as an ER medical scribe under 15 different physicians (DO and MD) as well as 6 different PA/NP
- 450 hours of wetlab neuroscience research (unpaid and no credit received).
- 1015 hours in an entomology research lab (paid) where I received my own project (worked in the field collecting data as well as in the lab doing PCR, DNA extraction, etc.)
- 360 hours in a psychology lab (for credit) working on mindfulness and behavioral health studies
- 50 hours teaching an afterschool science club for underprivileged students.
- 100+ hours volunteering as a tutor for a group of 25 students teaching general chemistry and genetics
- 30 hours shadowing a neurologist.
- 1000+ hours as captain of my dance team.
- Philanthropy director of my fraternity for 2 years.
- I have also been volunteering in a soup kitchen and at a retirement home for the past year but not sure that's relevant to my application; I just volunteer because I enjoy doing it.

My state of residence is Illinois. My main weakness is the MCAT and I have tried restudying for a whole year and even used a Kaplan course just to find myself scoring around the same as last time on the AAMC practice tests. I have wanted to become a doctor for as long as I can remember and really wanted to go the MD route but now I am worried I won't even get into any DO schools. Do I have a chance at making it into med school and if so, what schools do you recommend (either MD or DO). Any advice I can get will be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest applying to all these DO schools with your stats:
MU-COM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
ICOM
CHSU-COM (new schools Fresno CA)
Sam Houston State (new school)
LMU-DCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive some interviews.
You are not competitive for MD schools with a MCAT of 499.

Reactions: 1 user
My best friend got into a MD school with a similar gpa and exact same Mcat score . It depends on your interview skills .

Don’t sell yourself short . But just Incase have a back up DO schools .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My best friend got into a MD school with a similar gpa and exact same Mcat score . It depends on your interview skills .

Don’t sell yourself short . But just Incase have a back up DO schools .
Do you mind saying which MD school your friend got into?

I suggest applying to all these DO schools with your stats:
MU-COM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
ICOM
CHSU-COM (new schools Fresno CA)
Sam Houston State (new school)
LMU-DCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive some interviews.
You are not competitive for MD schools with a MCAT of 499.
I can't recommend LUCOM nor CUHS. Add all VCOMs.
. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.