MD 3.7 cGPA , 3.7 sGPA, 29 MCAT (11/10/8). Apply or retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decimus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my story: I got a 29 MCAT (in 2014), and am wondering if I should apply or retake+apply. The schools that I am targeting include Oakland University, Wayne State, University of Cincinnati, University of Illinois, University of Toledo, etc (lower mid-tier...). My thought process is, if I can get into those schools with a 29, I should apply with a 29. If I can't, I should retake.

So, what are my chances?

Apply Now:
- PRO: Application would be submitted early
- PRO: Easy, don't have to restudy
- CON: Risk of not getting in / only getting into a "lower" ranked school

Retake+Apply (In June):
- PRO: Would probably increase my chances at mid/upper level schools
- CON: New MCAT format
- CON: Would delay my application until late July
- CON: Studying again is no fun

3.7 cGPA , 3.7 sGPA, 29 MCAT (11B/10P/8V)

Michigan Resident
Average volunteering
Average extracurricular
Low leadership
Good research (1 4th author publication, 1 1st author publication + posters + publications in the work)
Expecting good LORs

Either way, I plan on applying broadly (MD only, including Western and Central Michigan), but I just think I would be MUCH happier at one of the schools listed earlier. Its not ego, but rather the opportunities for research (which has been a big part of my application so far).

Also, would a 2 point bump in my MCAT be worth the delay in applying (from early June to late July)?

Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend applying this year, tot he following. If you have no luck, retake the MCAT.

U Rochester
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
TCMC
Quinnipiac
U Cent FL
FAU
FIU
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Gtown
GWU
NYMC
VCU
U VM
EVMS
Rush
ALL MI school except U MI
Any DO school.

For an MCAT of 27, I suggest:

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Oakland U Beaumont
Albany
Gtown
GWU
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth
WVU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Goro! but maybe you misunderstood my post a little.
Should I apply now or retake in June and still apply this cycle?

Apply and see how the app cycle shakes out. If no love by next Spring, then retake and apply stronger. Work and save some money in the meantime. Most re-takers only go up incrementally, stay the same, or go down.

Thanks @Goro! but maybe you misunderstood my post a little.
Should I apply now or retake in June and still apply this cycle?

Would this advice be applicable to me as well? I'm a psych major so I was kind of hoping I might do a bit better with the new MCAT.

I've been studying the last few months and wanted to sit for May 22nd, since scores come out by June 30th. I am taking the AAMC sample this week and, pending my performance on that, deciding whether or not to sit for the real thing.

When I check my MCAT score from AAMC, it is as of now 61st percentile...what would you suggest the minimum improvement percentile wise for me to be, to make this retake worth it?

I appreciate your help so far a ton!

Please don't steal threads. Make your own.

Reactions: 1 user