3.70 GPA, 25 MCAT, Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpa1000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like some opinions regarding whether I should go ahead and apply this year, or save my money and just wait to take the MCAT again, and send in my application at the beginning of the cycle next year?

I have a 25 MCAT (8/9/8), 3.70 gpa, B.S. in Chemistry. I had been accepted to UK Pharmacy School but bailed out when I saw the profession was saturated. I'm working at a Big Pharma company as a QC Analyst right now. Don't have much shadowing experience though. I think I can raise my MCAT to at least 27-29, since I only studied for 2 months the first time.

I'd like to apply the following schools

1)KCUMB
2)Des Moines
3)PCOM (possibly both campuses?)
4)LECOM (probably Lake Erie or Bradenton)
5)Oklahoma State COM
possibly NTCOM

Thoughts? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Why not try for an allopathic school? Such a good GPA will lead some places.

As for this cycle, it is pretty late into it. Its best to save your money and apply next year. Start studying now, its plenty of time to do well on your MCAT.

Why not try for an allopathic school? Such a good GPA will lead some places.

As for this cycle, it is pretty late into it. Its best to save your money and apply next year. Start studying now, its plenty of time to do well on your MCAT.

I don't want to sound harsh, just want to share my opinion. A 25 and your high gpa may get you into some DO schools, but I don't think it will be competitive for MD (unless there are some extenuating circumstances or you're a URM, etc.).

I'm not sure about what's considered "too late" for DO apps. I asked the question in an old thread and people told me to go ahead and apply at the beginning of September. At this point though, it may be getting too late to apply and be competitive. It may be better to retake and get up to a 29 and apply next cycle. You'll be golden for DO then. Good luck! :)

well since you havent even been verified it could be nov. before you even get secondaries in and that's pushing it. If money is not an issue then apply, if not wait and retake the mcat then go from there.