3.73 Mcat 31 help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Forssmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mcat 31
12 7 12
Should i retake the mcat if I can? My verbal score shocked me.
I want to go to MD school.
Also what schools should i consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on where you want to go. I made a 12-7-10 and feel that it’s not worth my time and effort to retake, but then again, I’ll go to any allopathic school in texas.

I feel that i couldn’t better myself instead of cramming for the mcat again.

just my opinion. Im no expert or anything.

Last edited:
I guess what i'm asking is
if i wanted to go to an MD school, do I have to retake the MCAT? or am I Good to go?

Last edited:
Strongly concur with my learned colleague. Invest in the MSAR and apply smartly. You're fine for any DO program as well.

What does applying smartly mean? Finding schools that match my stats?

What does applying smartly mean? Finding schools that match my stats?

Yes.

What where your practice test verbal scores?
What schools are you hoping to get in?
I think you could get in some where, but maybe not your first choice.

Yes.

What where your practice test verbal scores?
What schools are you hoping to get in?
I think you could get in some where, but maybe not your first choice.

They were like 8-10 range i never scored a 7 b4. It was weird... Eh... I want someone to say. Yes you can get into a mid-low tier MD school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually doing really well on verbal. My AAMC average was a 10.33, but I'm not really sure what happened on test day. I did all the AAMC tests, and my average was a 37.5 with a range of 35-40.

I think I was shooting for top tier med schools but would be happy to accept mid/low tier med schools at this point, and even DO schools. I really can't see myself rewriting this exam.

So do we still have a chance at mid/low med schools, with the 7 in verbal? I want to move on from the MCAT.

Yes, you do, but apply carefully. Shoot for schools that assess your application, and even the MCAT score, holistically. You can get in somewhere with some effort for sure.

depends...... what tier are you aiming for and are you a URM?

Chill out.
- Whats your home state?
- URM?
- Any special EC's that make you unique and not an academic robot?

Chill out.
- Whats your home state?
- URM?
- Any special EC's that make you unique and not an academic robot?

Um yeah i do a program for kids ages 12-14. Since i started we started with 2 or 3 and it has grown to 30's with 4 age ranges. And youth and people from the community participating

I participate in a 4 year seminar called institute for global prosperity (ISGP) where we talk about social issues and such.

I could go into more depth but i'd need more time. Right now i have class.

I'm caucasian and from california.

Please i need to know if i should retake it and a good reason why so that i can schedule a date.

Thanks so much!

I feel like you should be able to. All things considered, your other PS and BS scores are pretty good, and your GPA is good also. However, I have read that certain schools want to see at least an 8 in every section, but it was never explicitly stated as a requirement, but more as a suggestion. I think if you had good recs, good EC's, and some experience you should be fine. I would wait before deciding to retake it though. Wait and see if you get an interview invitations, or any acceptances. Obviously if you get rejected across the board you'll want to retake, but my point is don't jump the gun just yet.

Could i get into a mid to low tier school? I have a list now i guess. Idk if they will accept the 7 but. Ill probably post it soon. I looked at schools that accepted students that i was in the range for in terms of stats. Is that smart?

Could i get into a mid to low tier school? I have a list now i guess. Idk if they will accept the 7 but. Ill probably post it soon. I looked at schools that accepted students that i was in the range for in terms of stats. Is that smart?

I have 3.76 and same mcat as you. I got accepted to a MD program two days ago and still waiting for post interview decisions from three other MD schools (All US schools). Don't worry. Apply early to a wide range of schools and you will be fine.
Jeff

Reactions: 1 user
I have 3.76 and same mcat as you. I got accepted to a MD program two days ago and still waiting for post interview decisions from three other MD schools (All US schools). Don't worry. Apply early to a wide range of schools and you will be fine.
Jeff
nice what school? thanks for answering my Question i really apreciate it.

PRELIMINARY SCHOOL LIST BASED ON GPA AND MCAT
Alabama
south alabama
arkansas
Arizona-Pheonix
Arizona-Tuscon
UC San Diego***
UC Irvine***
UC Davis
Colorado
Connecticut
George Washington
FIU-Wertheim
Florida
South florida
Florida atlantic University- Schmidt
Florida State
MC Georgia
Mercer
Morehouse
Hawaii-Burns
Loyola-Stritch
Rush
Illinois
Chicago Med-Franklin
Southern illinois
Indiana
Kansas
kentucky
Louisville
Tulane
LSU Shreveport
LSU New Orleans
Massachusetts
Tufts
Boston
Maryland
Michigan state (MD)
Wayne State
Oakland Unviersity william beaumont medical school
Missouri columbia
Missouri Kansas City
Mississippi
North Carolina
Wake forest
East Carolina-Brody
North Dakota
Creighton
Nebraska
UMDNJ New Jearsy
UMDNJ-RW Johnson
Rowan University Cooper MEdical school
New mexico
Nevada
Rochester
New York Medical
Buffalo
Hofstra university of north shore- LIJ SOM
Case western
Cincinnati
Toledo
Write State-boon shoft
Northeastern Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon****
Jefferson***
Temple
drexel
commonwealth
Penn state
Brown?
MU South carolina
South carolina-greenville
South dakota-sanford
Tennessee
East Tennessee-quillen
Meharry
UT Houston
UT galveston
Texas A&M
UT HSC san Antonio
Texas tech
Texas tech-Foster
Utah
Virginia tech carillion
Eastern Virginia
Vermont
U Washington
Wisconsin
Marshall edwards
West Virginia

Now look at OOS acceptance and eliminate the ones with <15%.
Example: if you are not from TX, eliminate the TX schools...

Haha. So any school with instate greater than 15% I should eliminate?

You can also find the percentile scores of the Verbal MCAT in the MSAR. Apply to schools that have an 8 or lower (if there are any) on the lower 10th percentile. Keep in mind some schools screen out mcat sub scores lower than a certain number so your app my never reach the desk for some schools. I'm assuming you are applying for the next cycle? If so, I would retake if i were you considering there is plenty of time.

Dump Southern Illinois-they don't even accept people from northern Illinois.

You can also find the percentile scores of the Verbal MCAT in the MSAR. Apply to schools that have an 8 or lower (if there are any) on the lower 10th percentile. Keep in mind some schools screen out mcat sub scores lower than a certain number so your app my never reach the desk for some schools. I'm assuming you are applying for the next cycle? If so, I would retake if i were you considering there is plenty of time.

:'(

Don't apply to Utah unless you have a strong tie to the state. They DON'T take OOS student unless you attended high school or lived in Utah for awhile.

If you are anti-DO, and REALLY don't want to retake, throw your application out there to a wide range of schools and the Caribbean as backup.

If you are anti-DO, and REALLY don't want to retake, throw your application out there to a wide range of schools and the Caribbean as backup.

No. OP should not apply Carib. OP GPA is average for accepted applicants and MCAT is 1 point below average accepted applicants. Yes verbal is 7 but i don't think that is reason to apply Carib.

OP, what's your updated list after removing schools with less than %15 OOS??

No. OP should not apply Carib. OP GPA is average for accepted applicants and MCAT is 1 point below average accepted applicants. Yes verbal is 7 but i don't think that is reason to apply Carib.

OP, what's your updated list after removing schools with less than %15 OOS??

Thank you! Ill update it soon!

so...
i think a better way to approach this is to answer the question of:

where do i have a good chance of getting in?

Don't despair! Your overall MCAT is solid. I'm just saying if you have time, a retake that gets you an 8 on verbal changes a lot of things. You might have said or implied this somewhere, but are you applying this year or the next?

Don't despair! Your overall MCAT is solid. I'm just saying if you have time, a retake that gets you an 8 on verbal changes a lot of things. You might have said or implied this somewhere, but are you applying this year or the next?

yes!

so if i retake and get a 12 on verbal and 7 on bio and physics would that fix things? or do i have to score equally as good or higher? the reason i don't want to retake is i spent alot of time studying over the summer and it really was a fluke that I got a 7 on verbal. I was scoring on average like a 32 with my scores ranging from 29 to 35. I improved as i studied and i studied really hard. I can't imagine doing that again or having the time to do that again and score better. right now i'm focusing on TA'ing, research, doing my Junior youth program and doing well in school. i'm shooting for a 3.8 summa cum laude by the end of this year.

I mean I plan on prewriting my applications so maybe i can retake it over the summer again? but i'd really like to focus on other things if i can.

I was also thinking if i didn't get in at least i'll have a second opportunity or 3rd opportunity to retake the MCAT during the course of the year.

I would retake. Honestly, it should be fairly easy for you to raise that VR score, especially if it shocked you. I was shocked by my VR score too, as it was much lower than what I usually get and what I expected.

I would retake. Honestly, it should be fairly easy for you to raise that VR score, especially if it shocked you. I was shocked by my VR score too, as it was much lower than what I usually get and what I expected.

But does it look bad if my overall score is worse? Or do i just have to demonstrate proficiency in verbal? I don't think its so simple to retake. I mean when i took it, i was inmersed in it. I dont think i'd do as well overall if i wasnt. Idk when id get such an opportunity to study for it.

But does it look bad if my overall score is worse? Or do i just have to demonstrate proficiency in verbal? I don't think its so simple to retake. I mean when i took it, i was inmersed in it. I dont think i'd do as well overall if i wasnt. Idk when id get such an opportunity to study for it.
Do you think you got lucky on the science sections? If you got a 12 on both phys and bio I don't think you should worry about regressing those two too much. Even if you did, IMO an 11,11,8 is better than what you have now. I totally understand the MCAT is a massive pain the...head to study for. If you just want to get into an MD school somewhere/anywhere you should be able to do that if you apply early and to a good list of schools (use the MSAR here!!).
Best of luck!!!

Do you think you got lucky on the science sections? If you got a 12 on both phys and bio I don't think you should worry about regressing those two too much. Even if you did, IMO an 11,11,8 is better than what you have now. I totally understand the MCAT is a massive pain the...head to study for. If you just want to get into an MD school somewhere/anywhere you should be able to do that if you apply early and to a good list of schools (use the MSAR here!!).
Best of luck!!!

I dont think i got lucky. guess i'll consider it. Thats sad that i have to retake it. 31 is a good enough score.

updated school list: based on >15% oos and mcat/gpa
1. Arizona-Pheonix
2. Arizona-Tuscon
3. UC San Diego
4. UC Irvine
5. UC Davis
6. Colorado
7. Connecticut
8. George Washington
9. FIU-Wertheim
10.University of central Florida
11.Florida atlantic University- Schmidt
12.Morehouse
13.Hawaii-Burns
14.Loyola-Stritch
15.Rush
16.Illinoi
17.Chicago Med-Franklin
18.Indiana
19.Kansas
20.kentucky
21.Louisville
22.Tulane
23.LSU New Orleans
24.Tufts
25.Maryland
26.Michigan state (MD)
27.Wayne State
28.Oakland Unviersity william beaumont medical school
29.Missouri Kansas City
30.North Carolina
31.south carolina
32.Wake forest
33.North Dakota
34.Creighton
35.Nebraska
36.Rowan University Cooper MEdical school
37.Nevada
38.Rochester
39.New York Medical
40.Buffalo
41.Hofstra university of north shore- LIJ SOM
42.Cincinnati
43.Toledo
44.Write State-boon shoft
45.Oklahoma
46.Oregon
47.Jefferson***
48.Temple
49.drexel
50.commonwealth
51.Penn state
52.South carolina-greenville
53.Meharry
54.Utah
55.Virginia tech carillion
56.Eastern Virginia
57.Vermont
58.U Washington
59.Medical college of Wisconsin
60.University of Wisconsin
61.Marshall edwards
62.West Virginia

Cross of North Dakota as the OOS acceptances are either people with heavy ND ties or WICHE schools. Zero chance unless you have ND roots.