3.74 cGPA; 4.00 sGPA; MCAT - 27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orangecat15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering what steps I can take to improve my application and what my chances might be at the following schools:

CCOM (DO)

PCOM (DO)

DMU (DO)

University of Louisville (state resident) (MD)

University of Kentucky (state resident) (MD)

My stats are the following: 3.74 cGPA (music major/philosophy minor); 4.00sGPA; MCAT = 27 (9,9,9).

I have around 120 hours of clinical volunteering (ER at local hospital), and I have some volunteer hours (perhaps 20-30) doing projects with Habitat for Humanity. I currently have no shadowing experience. I have one year of research experience (biochemistry). My leadership experience is limited to being section leader of my university's wind ensemble for two years.

I'm planning to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle.

I appreciate any suggestions - thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm wondering what steps I can take to improve my application and what my chances might be at the following schools:

CCOM (DO)

PCOM (DO)

DMU (DO)

University of Louisville (state resident) (MD)

University of Kentucky (state resident) (MD)

My stats are the following: 3.74 cGPA (music major/philosophy minor); 4.00sGPA; MCAT = 27 (9,9,9).

I have around 120 hours of clinical volunteering (ER at local hospital), and I have some volunteer hours (perhaps 20-30) doing projects with Habitat for Humanity. I currently have no shadowing experience. I have one year of research experience (biochemistry). My leadership experience is limited to being section leader of my university's wind ensemble for two years.

I'm planning to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle.

I appreciate any suggestions - thanks for your time.
You're a near-lock at the DO schools, especially if you can get in some DO shadowing and get an LOR.

Though your MCAT score is below the matriculant average for both state schools, an acceptance at one is not impossible, especially if you can make your ECs shinier before submission time. Besides some shadowing hours (50 is the average listed) which should include a primary care doc (and if you're from a rural area and want to appear an attractive candidate from that demographic, a rural doc), I would hope you'll continue to gain active clinical experience hours and beef up the nonmedical community service. Additional active involvement in H for H this coming semester would be great to see. You might further consider taking on a chair position for one of the projects to get leadership focused on those in need, though what you already have is pretty decent if you describe it right. Including hobbies and any other artistic endeavors can make your application stand out more.

You'll be a shoe-in for DO schools. As far as MD schools go, I think you also have a good chance, especially at your state schools. Numbers aren't everything. I have an interview at UK this year and I have a 27Q MCAT with a 3.90 GPA and I'm an out-of-state applicant. Was also just accepted at WVU School of Medicine.

Try to fit in some physician shadowing--that definitely helps.