3.75 GPA 3.66 sciGPA 25,23 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

help me lentyai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances to WVSOM?
Do I have any chances at any other school?
I submitted their secondary app in already, but not the letters yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Which is ur most recent MCAT?

So I got a 25, then 23, and now unfortunately a 22.
Looks pretty grim...

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't add the 22 to AACOMAS app.
Will it even matter if I do?
They'll be able to see the 22 regardless if I add it or not, correct?

What have been your score breakdowns? I know that MD schools frown upon a decreased MCAT after multiple retakes and I'm guessing DO programs will too. If one of your subsections is abnormally low that will hurt but if you got secondaries then it doesn't sound like you were screened out. I'm guessing you will have to report the most recent 22 eventually since you are required by law to release all MCAT scores to schools in which you apply.

If you are offered an interview then talk about your shortfalls with the MCAT what they have taught you. Your GPA is competitive for DO programs so that will help. How are your ECs? I hope this information is helpful! Good luck!

What do my chances look like in the new schools such as LUCOM, ACOM, LMU, LECOM-E?

V P B
08/09/2013 06 06 10 22 Y
01/24/2013 07 07 09 23 Y
09/07/2012 08 09 O 08 25O

My ECs are subpar,
I was on the E-board for a club for two years, I'm a member of Reserve Corps, and I've shadowed a DO. I had honors in my school.
That's pretty much it.

I was in a BS/DO program but I couldn't make it due to the MCAT. Also I didn't have as many opportunities to do ECs because I had more classes then the average student. I should talk about that too, huh? So I can say my shortcomings taught me to be determined and never give up on my dreams.

What have been your score breakdowns? I know that MD schools frown upon a decreased MCAT after multiple retakes and I'm guessing DO programs will too. If one of your subsections is abnormally low that will hurt but if you got secondaries then it doesn't sound like you were screened out. I'm guessing you will have to report the most recent 22 eventually since you are required by law to release all MCAT scores to schools in which you apply.

If you are offered an interview then talk about your shortfalls with the MCAT what they have taught you. Your GPA is competitive for DO programs so that will help. How are your ECs? I hope this information is helpful! Good luck!

woops, chart got messed up

22: (V 6, P 6, B 10)
23: (V7, P7, B9)
25: (V8, P9, B8)

I would look into schools that take ur best subsection score but I think ur chances are pretty low

If you think you can do better. But your current trend is not good.

Members don't see this ad :)
V P B
08/09/2013 06 06 10 22 Y
01/24/2013 07 07 09 23 Y
09/07/2012 08 09 O 08 25O

My ECs are subpar,
I was on the E-board for a club for two years, I'm a member of Reserve Corps, and I've shadowed a DO. I had honors in my school.
That's pretty much it.

I was in a BS/DO program but I couldn't make it due to the MCAT. Also I didn't have as many opportunities to do ECs because I had more classes then the average student. I should talk about that too, huh? So I can say my shortcomings taught me to be determined and never give up on my dreams.

I think this might be a huge red flag on your app seeing how you were selected for a DO program already.

Honestly, I don't see it happening. Even if they took the best of each score, I think when an ADCOM looks at the downward trend on the MCAT they will be highly disappointed and give you application a pass. This is not a situation where you got a 25 both times except best scores is a 27. I suggest looking into podiatry programs if you don't want to take another test like the OAT/DAT for alternative careers.

I think this might be a huge red flag on your app seeing how you were selected for a DO program already.

Oh wow not sure how I missed that detail. Have you considered PA? Your app is full of red flags

But I don't have to tell them that I was a BS/DO, since my major is Biology now.
But I still want to go to med school. So I have to increase my MCAT.

...even to the newest schools there's a very slim chance?

But I don't have to tell them that I was a BS/DO, since my major is Biology now.

Finish your secondaries and see what happens for the rest of the year since you have already applied. If you are unsuccessful then it is time to reevaluate. Make sure you call the programs that rejected you to find out exactly why they did so. You may decide to retake the MCAT by using a more effective study technique (such as a Kaplan course) or you may decide to pursue podiatry or another area of healthcare. Podiatrists are still well respected healthcare providers if you were worried about that.

With the 22 I'd call it nearly null. I'd be very surprised if at this point any osteopathic school takes a 22 that isn't a legacy or a hard donor.

Finish your secondaries and see what happens for the rest of the year since you have already applied.

agree with this. make sure to apply to LUCOM, ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, VCOM, etc.

With the 22 I'd call it nearly null. I'd be very surprised if at this point any osteopathic school takes a 22 that isn't a legacy or a hard donor.

you don't realize the large glut of seats with all the new schools. With 3.2/24 applicants getting accepted left and right to schools like MUCOM, CUSOM, and ACOM, people with 3.0/22 should at least be able to get interviews to schools like LUCOM.

averages may be 3.5/27, but the tail end of the matriculant stat curve is LONG and THICK.

you don't realize the large glut of seats with all the new schools. With 3.2/24 applicants getting accepted left and right to schools like MUCOM, CUSOM, and ACOM, people with 3.0/22 should at least be able to get interviews to schools like LUCOM.

averages may be 3.5/27, but the tail end of the matriculant stat curve is LONG and THICK.
I have seen nearly every school have a 23 as a cutoff. I honestly don't see MUCOM and CUSOM giving this person a chance. These 2 schools may be new, but they did gather a lot of attention during the application cycle and CUSOM has some strict cutoffs. I do keep forgetting about LUCOM though. That clown college may take anyone.

The word is out. Osteopathic > Caribbean. Expect this cycle to get stiffer and every year after.

I am in a similiar dilemma. my mcat score is 23. Being an immigrant, my verbal score f**** me up. my breakdown is 5 VR, 9PS,9BS. My cGPA is 3.75. I have however applied to abt 20 schools (most of them which accept scores as low as 24) although I know that I still have to compete with so many others who have good scores and the chances are low. I am also considering DO schools. Any chances that my Verbal score may be considered because it is my first language and I am a minority.

I am in a similiar dilemma. my mcat score is 23. Being an immigrant, my verbal score f**** me up. my breakdown is 5 VR, 9PS,9BS. My cGPA is 3.75. I have however applied to abt 20 schools (most of them which accept scores as low as 24) although I know that I still have to compete with so many others who have good scores and the chances are low. I am also considering DO schools. Any chances that my Verbal score may be considered because it is my first language and I am a minority.
I have heard of LMU-DCOM taking a 5 in VR from an immigrant before.