MD 3.77 GPA / 514 MCAT - Chance Me / Finalize My School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potazzium21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
_

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stony Brook, USF-Morani, Florida International and Florida Atlantic give strong preference to their IS applicants so you can delete those. Otherwise your list is good.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a good candidate for the schools in your state. You have a pretty good shot at getting IIs from at least 2 of them.

Delete Brown(you dont fit what they are looking for and the majority of their class is from some form of special program or UG)
A fair amount of USF's OOS class comes through special programs. Probably can delete.
I dont consider FIU or FAU particularly high yield, not really worth keeping.
I dont know if USC Greenville might show a preference to regional applicants for OOS but I tend to lean towards removing.
Keck is likely going to be rather low yield.
RFU and GW are two rather low yield options due to their app volume. You dont really need them.

I see roughly 10 schools on your list you can go in saying you have a relatively reasonable shot at getting a II at. Medical College of Wisconsin, Jefferson, Saint Louis and maybe Cincinnati are also worth consideration and could get that number a little higher.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's two schools ultimately, apply if you want. Obviously not a big deal and it wont affect you much.

If you want my reasoning I dont know the specifics about these schools. But you always have to account for many OOS matriculants will have had significant ties to the state or there might have been other special programs that got them in. I dont know if Greenville will show regional preference to NC apps, if they do it might be worth an app.

Greenville is at 2542 OOS apps 33 OOS spots. I dont consider that a particularly favorable ratio. FIU is at 2300 OOS apps for 26 OOS spots. That's an even worse OOS app/spot ratio. Like I said above, it's two schools its not going to affect you much. I just think there are better uses of apps.

You are pretty likely to get IIs at at least 2/3 of the schools in your state. Considering how absurdly cheap UNC and Brody's tuition is, the odds of turning down 120k+ over 4 years to go to a lower tier OOS school probably arent high.

EVMS, VCU, Albany, Medical College of Wisconsin, Einstein, Quinnipac, Western Michigan, Jefferson, Saint Louis, Creighton, Oakland are good choices for you. You have over a dozen schools with that list you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. Youll get enough IIs from that list if the written parts of your app are up to par. You can include Temple, Penn State, Tufts and Tulane if you want. Throw in a couple reaches like Emory, Hofstra, Miami, Cincinnati and if you want those OOS public schools and youll have a good list.

Echo the "take USF" off ...if not an FL resident, very hard to get into it and you need Harvard like stats for OOS; in which case, if you had, you'd target Harvard (obviously, I'm joking about Harvard like stats here... but only sort of)

Mayo due to research component? They are also more holistic than strict 99% MCAT and 4.0...

I suggest:
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state school(s).
Any DO program