DO 3.78 gpa 27 MCAT, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theseus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you got good stats: MSU and CCOM.

You're in good shape besides shadowing. I think you would be helped tremendously by increasing the amount of shadowing, especially if you can find a DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few more questions. Since I will be retaking MCAT, and the old MCAT will be registered with AACOMAS, will schools take a look at my application if I indicate that I will be retaking it rather than release score immediately after release? Should I indicate that I will be retaking the MCAT on July 24th?

And what's with people talking about high attrition rate for certain schools like NYITCOM? Is it true?

And what's with people talking about high attrition rate for certain schools like NYITCOM? Is it true?
Who knows...its always i heard it from my brothers sisters aunt's son. No one really knows.

I talked to many allumni (current residents) and they don't seem to think it is a problem.

Being a doctor in general is. Either way, what if it ends up those are the only two schools that accept him?
If he gets in at Ccom then most likely other cheaper med schools would also be a option

Non-URM, NY Resident (If matters)

Stats:
3.78cgpa, 3.73sgpa, 27 MCAT (11/08/08)

ECs:
~340 hours clinical volunteering experience (direct patient-care).
~960 hours lab biochemistry research (no publication).
~10 hour MD PCP shadowing.
Part time non-clinical job throughout undergrad.

LOR:
- Committee letter.
-MD LOR, no DO shadowing (although I have interacted with DOs at my hospital several times).

School list:

Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM
LECOM-Erie
MSU
CCOM

why dont you apply to some SUNY MD schools? you're instate and your stats aren't that bad. you should give those a chance before resigning yourself to just DOs. try downstate, upstate, and buffalo.

Reactions: 1 user
^what he said

why dont you apply to some SUNY MD schools? you're instate and your stats aren't that bad. you should give those a chance before resigning yourself to just DOs. try downstate, upstate, and buffalo.

I am way below their 10th percentile. I just scheduled a retake for July 12th, so I guess I can start selecting my state schools. They won't screen me out based on that 27 will they? Especially Downstate since it's 10-90th percentile is 30-37. Funny thing is, I live a couple of blocks away from Downstate.

My states are really similar to yours except that i have a 28 MCAT and a lower sGPA. I have a post asking the same thing as you. I hope we have a shot...although i applied to alot more DO schools than you. Hope it was not a waste of money :(. But yeah I hope we get in!

My states are really similar to yours except that i have a 28 MCAT and a lower sGPA. I have a post asking the same thing as you. I hope we have a shot...although i applied to alot more DO schools than you. Hope it was not a waste of money :(. But yeah I hope we get in!

Your stats are pretty competitive. You will probably get in somewhere (I say probably because there are never any guarantees, unfortunately). It is almost magical how a 1 point difference in MCAT can improve your chances, especially comparing 27 and 28. Just throwing that out.

I am way below their 10th percentile. I just scheduled a retake for July 12th, so I guess I can start selecting my state schools. They won't screen me out based on that 27 will they? Especially Downstate since it's 10-90th percentile is 30-37. Funny thing is, I live a couple of blocks away from Downstate.

Try it anyway, you have much more leeway because you're instate. You have a decent shot at all of them honestly, just apply. You may be pleasantly surprised. Add stony brook as well. People in-state get in with high 20s, some even in the mid-low. Never underestimate the power of being instate. I have similar mcats to you (a 29 and 28) and I wish I was a NY state resident for this reason.