3.78cGPA, 3.95sGPA, MCAT prelim: 90th-100th%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir.SavaLottaLife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you prob get into Harvard. sky is limit since you are urm

Reactions: 1 user
aim higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to add more upper-tiers but I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough research/pubs to get me into those heavy hitters. I was also concerned that my CARS/VR score is a little low by their standards (~9 on old scale). I'm interpreting my percentiles as if I scored a 34/35 btw (93-95th%)

Anyways, heres an updated list (7/7):

Reaches-
Northwestern
U of Chicago

Columbia
Mayo
UCLA
Ohio state
UCSD

Matches:
Medical College of Georgia (in-state)
Emory (in-state)
USC
U Miami
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Loyola
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Quinnipiac
U of Arizona?

65-80% for CARS is like ~10 on the old scale.

Look into: Duke, Vanderbilt, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, Einstein

Last edited:
can you not apply to the schools im applying to :dead:

You're golden! Also consider UCSF, USC/Keck, IU, BU, Harvard, Yale, JHU, the four Manhattan Titans and Einstein

I wanted to add more upper-tiers but I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough research/pubs to get me into those heavy hitters. I was also concerned that my CARS/VR score is a little low by their standards (~9 on old scale). I'm interpreting my percentiles as if I scored a 34/35 btw (93-95th%)

Anyways, heres an updated list (7/7):

Reaches-
Northwestern
U of Chicago

Columbia
Mayo
UCLA
Ohio state
UCSD

Matches:
Emory (in-state)
USC
U Miami
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Loyola
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Quinnipiac
U of Arizona?

That is incredible.

May I ask how much free time you had to yourself during your undergraduate?

Was not expecting this kind of response; I mixed up my list a bit and I'll put it below.

To answer your question, I will say I have been pretty busy but manageable. On average, during this summer and the past few semesters, I've had enough free time to work out 4-5 times a week and maybe a movie on Netflix, and generally Fridays were pretty open to do things with friends. It's not impossible, I figured most pre-meds were like me but I won't lie and say it's not stressful/exhausting. During my breaks from school I sleep ~10 hours a night and I binge watch movies haha. I'll try to do something fun when I can and when it's time for business again I just put my head down and go.

New list (this is kinda top-heavy, right?):
Northwestern
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Baylor
UCLA
Ohio state
UCSD
Emory (in-state)
USC
U Miami
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Loyola
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Quinnipiac
Arizona (Tucson)
You should be really proud of yourself...

Good job, and these institutions would be lucky to have you!

Looks like a good list!
Since you're from GA, why not Mercer or Morehouse?

Was not expecting this kind of response; I mixed up my list a bit and I'll put it below.

To answer your question, I will say I have been pretty busy but manageable. On average, during this summer and the past few semesters, I've had enough free time to work out 4-5 times a week and maybe a movie on Netflix, and generally Fridays were pretty open to do things with friends. It's not impossible, I figured most pre-meds were like me but I won't lie and say it's not stressful/exhausting. During my breaks from school I sleep ~10 hours a night and I binge watch movies haha. I'll try to do something fun when I can and when it's time for business again I just put my head down and go.

New list (this is kinda top-heavy, right?):
Northwestern
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Baylor
UCLA
Ohio state
UCSD
Emory (in-state)
USC
U Miami
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Loyola
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Quinnipiac
Arizona (Tucson)

Members don't see this ad :)
I forsee many interview invites in your future

Food for thought: just because a school has a set ission for, say, rural care, doesn't mean that you have to go into rural care. Look at their match lists to see where the bulk of the grads go.

Good question. I have been on the fence about Morehouse for a while. They were one of the "safeties" I was thinking about adding back before you guys threw the Top 20 stuff my way lol. Do you think I should possibly add them and take off one of those reaches? I cant afford to add anymore to my list.

As far as Mercer goes, they are focused on primary care and underserved areas, neither of which apply to me as I live in the city/suburbs and I'm interested in surgery and/or neuro. An MD is an MD but geography and where I want to live for the next 4 years also plays a factor. I've lived here my whole life and I have looked forward to the experience of going out of state. On the other hand, MCG is a financially savvy option where I stand competitive; and Emory is a really good school that, while still being in GA, is in a part of Atlanta I wouldn't mind living.

Speaking of financially savvy, FIU's OOS tuition is 70k :rofl:. Had to cross them off my list a long time ago.

it's an anxiety provoking process, but don't worry about trivia like this. A lethal mistake is having tons of errors all over the app, like you didn't bother to proof it, or even worse, writing down "Columbia" when you're applying to Yale.

So... I submitted my primary for verification this weekend, and I already noticed a couple of mistakes on my personal statement.

Basically I used the wrong preposition on one of my sentences that causes the sentence to not really make sense, even though one could figure what I meant. But its right there in the 2nd sentence. I also noticed a minor grammatical issue further into the essay that may or may not go unnoticed but is another mistake nonetheless.

Will this be a fatal flaw? I feel like adcoms are going to throw my app away or at least put me at a great disadvantage because of this.

The good news is that I only submitted to a few schools that I know I'm going to be applying to and I haven't added the reaches until I get my official scores tomorrow. Should I consider replacing some of those big reaches like Yale and Columbia with more realistic matches because of this?

Reactions: 1 user
So... I submitted my primary for verification this weekend, and I already noticed a couple of mistakes on my personal statement.

Basically I used the wrong preposition on one of my sentences that causes the sentence to not really make sense, even though one could figure what I meant. But its right there in the 2nd sentence. I also noticed a minor grammatical issue further into the essay that may or may not go unnoticed but is another mistake nonetheless.

Will this be a fatal flaw? I feel like adcoms are going to throw my app away or at least put me at a great disadvantage because of this.

The good news is that I only submitted to a few schools that I know I'm going to be applying to and I haven't added the reaches until I get my official scores tomorrow. Should I consider replacing some of those big reaches like Yale and Columbia with more realistic matches because of this?

LOL no. Relax. Minor typos are no big deal, and personal statements are more of a checkbox item. Very few are so bad that they hurt applicants. Just be more vigilant for secondaries so you don't make the same mistakes again (but even then, a typo won't doom you).

Add all your in-state schools and then wherever you want to go.

Verified today! (8/12/15) I hope the non-early app isn't going to bite me, but I hope to have several secondaries complete within the next few days and hopefully all by the end of the month.

My list has changed quite a bit after doing more research:

In state:
MCG (secondary received)
Morehouse
Emory

OOS:
UCLA
UCSF
Ohio State
Georgetown (not submitting secondary, too many apps and doesn't feel like a good match)
USC/Keck
Loyola
Northwestern
Temple (may not submit secondary, IS bias and I would prefer my cheaper state school)
Sidney Kimmel
Miami
Cornell (secondary received)
Boston U (secondary received)
Harvard (don't have non-science faculty letter :(; are they strict about this?)
Stanford
U of Chicago (starting to really like this school)
NYU
Vanderbilt

Verified today! (8/12/15) I hope the non-early app isn't going to bite me, but I hope to have several secondaries complete within the next few days and hopefully all by the end of the month.

My list has changed quite a bit after doing more research:

In state:
MCG (secondary received)
Morehouse
Emory

OOS:
UCLA
UCSF
Ohio State
Georgetown (not submitting secondary, too many apps and doesn't feel like a good match)
USC/Keck
Loyola
Northwestern
Temple (may not submit secondary, IS bias and I would prefer my cheaper state school)
Sidney Kimmel
Miami
Cornell (secondary received)
Boston U (secondary received)
Harvard (don't have non-science faculty letter :(; are they strict about this?)
Stanford
U of Chicago (starting to really like this school)
NYU
Vanderbilt

List looks good. Call Harvard to ask how strict they are about the requirement.

Being in GA provides good safeties. That combined with some other lower tiers you have and you don't need anymore.