MD 3.8, 524 MCAT Help w List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bae2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're trying to keep your list to ~20, remove UCLA and esp. UCSD, add as many of Rochester, Einstein, Emory, Hofstra as you want.

Otherwise, looks fine.

I would do a little bit more shadowing, maybe in IM/FM or Peds. Neurology/Neurosurgery is great, but highly specific to a single area of medicine.

Vanderbilt and Pitt might also be good additions to your list.

You're golden.

For a list of 20, I suggest:

Harvard
Yale
UChicago OR U Penn
WashU OR UCSF
Stanford
Hopkins
Columbia
Duke
NYU
Feinberg
Cornell
Sinai
USC
U Miami
UIC
Hofstra
Einstein OR Emory
Tulane
BU
U MI OR U VA OR U IA OR OH State
Rochester

*=not really sure, open to changes. Ideally I'd like my list to be ~20. Also considering MCoW, SLU, Hofstra? I'm also worried this list is too top heavy. Thoughts?

I know I need more shadowing and volunteering so I will get on that! Any advice for the rest of my senior year/my gap year?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a recommended number of schools to apply to? Should I maybe do 25 and just throw in a couple more applications to other schools?

With a well chosen list, 25 will be more than enough for you. I never recommend applying to fewer than 20 outside of very specific circumstances.

You're probably going to end up going somewhere glorious (and you'll probably have your pick from several schools), but it probably wouldn't hurt to add your state school to your list, just to be safe...

You're probably going to end up going somewhere glorious (and you'll probably have your pick from several schools), but it probably wouldn't hurt to add your state school to your list, just to be safe...

Thanks!! I'm applying to UIC, which is University of Illinois at Chicago. The other state school in Illinois is Southern Illinois, but my understanding is that they have a strong rural preference and an application there would not be high-yield for me.

Reactions: 1 user