3.83 cGPA, 3.86sGPA, 34 MCAT. WAMC brah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sghos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at a non-HYP Ivy. Applying next cycle. (June 2014)

cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.86

MCAT: 12ps/11vr/11bs

Bio major
NJ resident- Asian Indian

(Activity length of time reflects how much I'll have done by the time the cycle opens up)

4 semesters of research, 6th author on a PLoS pub (nothin impressive i know)
-enjoyed some of the moments in the lab but in the end felt i had exposure to research and it wasnt the thing for me. Stopped after fall semester junior year.

Volunteer in Oncology wing of area hospital -2.5 years when in school -200 hours or so
Volunteer with a suicide crisisline - 2 years - 200 hrs
Volunteer with college ems squad -2.5 years - 250 hrs
Little bit of shadowing - only 15 hours or so, a rad onc + an opthalmologist

Hospital volunteering over two summers back home - about a 100 hours on a cardiology floor wheeling around/talking to patients/helping with menial tasks

TA for 3000 level physiology - 2 semesters
TA for biochem - 3 semesters
TA for intro physics - 4 semesters
TA for into bio for non majors - 1 semester

TA for a prison education program where we go to a nearby prison and teach community college style courses - 2 semesters

Bio student advisor for 1 year - Meet with freshman bio majors, tutor a bit, help out with course planning, etc

LORs: probably a mix from the profs I have TA'd with and 1-2 from from humanities courses + volunteering (probably the suicide crisisline). Will ask my former PI for LoR later but I think he doesn't think real highly of me. We'll see how that convo goes.

Tentative reasonable school list:

UMDNJ- NJMS
UMDNJ - RWJ
Cooper Med

Tufts

Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Penn State-Hershey

Albany
Hofstra
SUNY-Downstate
U of Rochester

GWU
Georgetown

Tulane
UMiami-Miller
Wake Forest

Rush
Loyola Stritch
Rosalind Franklin

Reach schools that I may waste money on

NYU
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai/Icahn
Weill
Columbia
Vandy
Baylor
Duke
UMich
Northwestern
Emory
UVA
Mayo
UMich

Overall thoughts: I'm realistic that I have little chances at those dream reaches. Of the schools on the reach list, I will probably apply to half or so of them, those are the ones I just threw up for now.

I'm just hoping to get in somewhere when I apply. I could beef up the shadowing over the coming year I guess. I don't have anything killer as a hook. Hopefully for the realistic schools it isn't the end of the world. My only regret was I couldn't boost that mcat by a point or two. Would have been over the moon with a 35 or 36 and a bit disappointed with the 11 in bs considering I have a decently strong bio background but I have no right to complain about the score in general.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have great volunteer experiences! Overall list looks good, but it would probably be best to whittle down your reaches a bit. Applying to 35 schools sounds like torture!

Yea. Unfortunately I'm in that no mans land area. I know my app is not killer to waltz into a top 20 and its likely I won't get into one but I think its reasonable to apply to a bunch (ie I think I pass the laugh test; correct me if I'm Wrong lol). As I said in the original post I'll definitely whittle the reaches down. On a normal day I probably won't get into one of those reaches. On a really good day maybe I've got a small shot (hence the hope lol). But I appreciate the feedback. more thoughts welcome.

dsg92 and sghos = same. Forgot my password one day a year or two back and made another account out of frustration. Then realized like an idiot I should have just used the forgot password function. Fail.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea. Unfortunately I'm in that no mans land area. I know my app is not killer to waltz into a top 20 and its likely I won't get into one but I think its reasonable to apply to a bunch (ie I think I pass the laugh test; correct me if I'm Wrong lol). As I said in the original post I'll definitely whittle the reaches down. On a normal day I probably won't get into one of those reaches. On a really good day maybe I've got a small shot (hence the hope lol). But I appreciate the feedback. more thoughts welcome.

dsg92 and sghos = same. Forgot my password one day a year or two back and made another account out of frustration. Then realized like an idiot I should have just used the forgot password function. Fail.

Definitely apply to a handful of top 20s. You have the stats to get at least a couple of II in that tier. With that said, keep your match school list long. Personally, I would apply ~5-10 (depending on how set you are at going to one) reaches (top 20s) and 10-15 matches. Your app looks really strong and I would be surprised if you didn't get some acceptances.

any other match schools to add that I might be missing?

One thing I am worried about? Not having a LoR from my PI. I just don't think he would write me a real strong one based on my conversations with him. For better schools I know this may be a big hit, I am more worried about this at my "reasonable" school list. Does eat at me occasionally.

Already saw this thread before but forgot to reply to it. My apologies.

any other match schools to add that I might be missing?

Your overall LizzyM score is 72 and you have good ECs. There's no need to add more match schools. You optimized your chances in a well-balanced list.

One thing I am worried about? Not having a LoR from my PI. I just don't think he would write me a real strong one based on my conversations with him. For better schools I know this may be a big hit, I am more worried about this at my "reasonable" school list. Does eat at me occasionally.

You're right that it could be worrisome for the research-heavy schools, but it's not a requirement for the "safety" schools in your list.

No love for gyngyn, brahski??

Anyway, I think you'll be starting medical school fall 2015. You have a great stats and a great list of ECs. It looks like you found some great opportunities and stuck with them from the start of college which is always a plus.

Also, what is a non-HYP ivy? perhaps non-Harvard/Yale/Princeton?

No love for gyngyn, brahski??

Anyway, I think you'll be starting medical school fall 2015. You have a great stats and a great list of ECs. It looks like you found some great opportunities and stuck with them from the start of college which is always a plus.

Also, what is a non-HYP ivy? perhaps non-Harvard/Yale/Princeton?

Yup :p

Thanks for the responses. We'll see what happens in a year.