MD & DO 3.85 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA, 78-88%ile MCAT, mult. MCATs - school lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herewego5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I’m looking to apply to D.O. and M.D. schools but I’m worried that my multiple less than impressive MCAT scores will impede my ability to succeed.

Stats:
White female
NC resident

Graduated with a Psychology major and a Chemistry minor

cGPA: 3.85 & sGPA: 3.79

3rd MCAT Preliminary Percentile Ranks: Total: 78-88% (Chem: 66-81% CARS: 81-96% Bio: 65-80% Psych: 85-100%)

I have a committee letter from my school and a letter of recommendation from the DO that I have shadowed.

· Physician Shadowing:
-Family Practice Shadowing: 32 hours with an MD and 45 hours with a DO
-Anesthesiology: 8 hours
-Emergency Medicine: 30 hours
-A combination of 30 hours at a clinic where I shadowed a pulmonologist, oncologist and internist

· Worked in a research lab for 100+ hours
-Presented a poster at the 2014 National Conference on Undergraduate Research

· I’m currently working in a family practice office assisting them with editing/building templates for their Allscripts software (practice management and electronic health record program). I’m working closely with the providers there to improve workflow (~150 hours)

· I’m currently volunteering at a local hospital. I started off in the ER and now I’m volunteering in Outpatient (~300 hours).

· Worked during my junior and senior years of college (~20 hrs/wk) at a locally owned business. I was promoted to a shift leader (~2,600 hours total).

· Orientation leader (~22hrs)

· I had an opportunity to take a year to travel in-between my sophomore and junior year of undergrad and I decided to go on a working visa so that I could work and travel. I traveled to New Zealand, Cambodia, Lao, Vietnam, and Australia
-I volunteered at an orphanage for two months in Cambodia and taught English lessons in a village school (~200 hours)

· Junior Marshall for the Psychology Department

· Dean’s and Chancelor’s Lists

I have mostly completed my DO and MD primary applications and now I’m just trying to figure out the schools that are worth applying to with my stats.

DO School List:
CCOM/MWU
PCOM
GA-PCOM
NYIT-COM
TouroCOM-NY
VCOM-VC
WVSOM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
KCUMB
KYCOM