3.85 cGPA/sGPA, 34 MCAT, CA resident. Need help eliminating!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breaklinedestroyed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[r]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To what extent have you shadowed? You could offset your relatively weak clinical experience with a solid shadowing experience. But no more than 40 or 50hrs are necessary, really.

Why exclude Stanford? Your GPA and MCAT are competitive and if you've strong research also, I say go for it unless you have a compelling reason not to. FYI, based on stats, none of the schools you listed is a reach school, even though you're one or two points below NYU's, Case's, and Ohio State's median MCAT. They're probably still reaches if you haven't shadowed. IMO Brown and Boston are matches, but Brown accepts so few applicants and Boston receives so many applications that maaayybe you could consider those schools reaches. Dartmouth and UofRochester have near-identical stats and accept about the same # of students, so not sure why you consider one more of a reach than the other--neither is a reach. I'd suggest adding more schools with more of a research focus, if that's the strongest part of your application. Duke, Vandy, Emory, and Northwestern come to mind. Unless you identify with any of the school's mission, consider deleting George Washington, Drexel, and Georgetown bc of the # of applications they receive.

Last edited:
Goro suggests

UCD
UCLA
USC
UCI
University of Rochester
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth (Reach)
Albert Einstein
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Cincinnatti
Temple University
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller SOM
Tufts University
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Virginia Commonwealth University SOM
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis School of Medicine
Loyola University of Chicago
Hofstra
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Pennsylvania State
New York Medical College

I applied successfully last cycle with identical stats as you (also a CA resident), and with a school list very similar to yours. Based on your EC's, I'd suggest take out some schools that are in cities/states/geographical locations that you really don't want to live in (ie. U of Rochester, SUNY Buffalo - super cold in the winter, Siberia cold. Or Saint Louis, Cleveland, etc.) Also take out Brown since their MD program reserves a large number of seat for the BS/MD program. Other than that, your list looks pretty solid. Oh yeah, apply to ALL UC's & USC. Good luck!