3.85 GPA, 3.80 sGPA, 36 MCAT, Top 10 school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metview

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 36 (14,10,12) Top 10 school

Research
4.5 years (2 different labs)
1 non-first author publication
2 first-author abstracts (poster presentations at international conferences)
research grant

Clincal ECs
200hrs+ hospital volunteering (in ER, spending time with patients, etc.)
100hrs+ working in a clinic

Shadowing
2 doctors (150 hrs total)

Non clinical ECs
Started nonprofit organization (3 years, 500hrs+)
Part of tutoring group for middle school students (200hrs+, 2 years)
Advisor for freshmen (1 year)
Chemistry tutor (2 years)

I am also in a few other clubs/organizations.

I am looking at top schools such as (Uchicago, Penn, Hopkins, Northwestern). Basically, a top 15 research school.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely have a decent chance with those stats, but keep in mind almost everyone applying (with a realistic chance) to top 10 will have your GPA or higher and around the same Mcat. Your extra curriculars are great (especially the nonprofit) and your research is above average even for top 10 schools so you have that going for you.

I would apply to a lot of top 15 but please make sure to add some mid tier safety schools. Odds are you will get attention from one of the top fifteen but if you don't you don't want to be waiting for next cycle.

I agree with the above poster. You have the stats/resume to be competitive at any school. Unfortunately it is such a crapshoot that you never really know. Definitely apply to many of the top 25 but include some mid-tier just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need to describe your leadership experiences more in-depth. There will be a ton of people with your stats applying to the top 10/15. In order for one to be able to stand out above all those other applicants, you will need to have some substantive experiences under their belt. Your non-profit experiences may fit that bill.

I appreciate the comments. I guess I should start working on the activities/descriptions section of my application.