MD & DO 3.87 GPA, 26 MCAT, Texas URM, chances & schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTmagic4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
chances are great for all DO schools minus Midwestern COM and Touro. Chances pretty small, but as a URM Texas resident and applying insanely early, may have a shot at all Texas schools except UTSW and UTH with that great GPA and balanced MCAT at least.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I like your school list for MD and DO. You would probably be competitive at most DO schools so add any others you like i.e. read the program, read other posts/topics about the school, and make a final list.

Will do. Any chance at MD schools or should I only apply to those in Texas?

Can anyone reflect on my chances (of both MD and DO)? A little worried about my application.

Overall, chances for Texans applying IS MD are the same as chances for US applicants overall applying to US MD, so I'd look at the main 'What are My Chances' charts for Hispanic applicants and use that as a frame of reference. You're covered well on the downside with DO -- so your plan is a sound one.

URMs get cut some some slack at DO schools just like at MD ones. So, OP, you're in fine shape anywhere.

chances are great for all DO schools minus Midwestern COM and Touro. Chances pretty small, but as a URM Texas resident and applying insanely early, may have a shot at all Texas schools except UTSW and UTH with that great GPA and balanced MCAT at least.

Thanks for all the input. Should I even apply MD or just focus on DO schools?

In addition to applying to any DO school and having great chances at them, I'd recommend only applying to Texas MD schools and seeing if you luck out. What kind of URM do you represent?

Interesting, I was unaware of many (ANY) Peruvian physicians practicing in the US haha (though not disagreeing)
I know plenty!
Kidding aside, this designation has more to do with unserved patients, not a deficit of a particular group of physicians.

thanks for the clarification gyngyn. Do you think I should still apply to TX med schools or solely stick with DO? I would be submitting TMDSAS app very early (tomorrow).

thanks for the clarification gyngyn. Do you think I should still apply to TX med schools or solely stick with DO? I would be submitting TMDSAS app very early (tomorrow).
You are luckily in a very forgiving state. You may as well apply MD as well as DO.