3.89cGPA 4.0sGPA 36MCAT- School List- MA Res.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GemelloMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, looking for some help on my school list.

Background- 3.89cGPA, 4.0sGPA 36 MCAT

Master of Arts in Theology

Over 6000+ clinical hours split between 5 medical missions trips, two hospital jobs (Currently a CNA),100+ Shadowing, and 50+ ER volunteer

I have loads of leadership experience with awards to match.

3000+ Community Service Hours

Academic Awards

I have one research project my senior year that I received a grant for that lasted the entire school year. No pub due to being part of a larger paper that is unfinished. Definitely the weakest part of my app.

Raised in FL, wife is from KS, Currently a MA resident. Cancer Survivor.

My Current List- looking for 14 total
University of Central Florida
University of Kansas
Boston University
Temple
Georgetown
Baylor
University of Colorado
Emory
Vanderbilt
University of Chicago Pritzker

Any advice is appreciated. I have taken the MCAT 3 times since 2009, the most recent in 2013. The 2009 was expired and I wasn't prepared for my first retake. I didn't make that mistake again. I'm hoping the rest of my app makes up for the multiple attempts.

Members don't see this ad.

Over 6000+ clinical hours split between 5 medical missions trips, two hospital jobs (Currently a CNA),100+ Shadowing, and 50+ ER volunteer

Academic Awards

I have one research project my senior year that I received a grant for that lasted the entire school year. No pub due to being part of a larger paper that is unfinished. Definitely the weakest part of my app.

University of Kansas
Boston University
Temple
Georgetown
Baylor
University of Colorado
Emory
Vanderbilt

Any advice is appreciated. I have taken the MCAT 3 times since 2009, the most recent in 2013. The 2009 was expired and I wasn't prepared for my first retake. I didn't make that mistake again. I'm hoping the rest of my app makes up for the multiple attempts.

Why aren't you applying to UMass?

Why aren't you applying to UMass?

I'm not the biggest fan of Worcester. I don't think I would stay in unless I got into a school in downtown Boston. My wife is an RN and hospitals like Boston Children's would go far for our quality of life and her resume.

I do hear it a a good school, though. US rank #9 in primary care. Not bad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Academic Awards

University of Kansas
Boston University
Temple
Georgetown
Baylor
University of Colorado
Emory
Vanderbilt

I don't think the multiple mcats wont blemish your app.

I would aim even a little higher for some schools considering where both you and you're so would like to live. With that said apply to a range of schools and your is school unless you would not want to go there given it was your only choice.

I'm not the biggest fan of Worcester. I don't think I would stay in unless I got into a school in downtown Boston. My wife is an RN and hospitals like Boston Children's would go far for our quality of life and her resume.

I do hear it a a good school, though. US rank #9 in primary care. Not bad.

That's ok for me! Takes out some of my competition :D. Anyway, maybe you'll want to throw Tufts on that list, if you like Boston?

>Cancer survivor
>non-traditional
>6000+ clinical hours
>4.0sgpa
>36 mcat

Why aren't you applying to harvard, yale, or johns hopkins? or certainly more upper tiers?

>cancer survivor
>non-traditional
>6000+ clinical hours
>4.0sgpa
>36 mcat

why aren't you applying to harvard, yale, or johns hopkins? Or certainly more upper tiers?

+100

>Cancer survivor
>non-traditional
>6000+ clinical hours
>4.0sgpa
>36 mcat

Why aren't you applying to harvard, yale, or johns hopkins? or certainly more upper tiers?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I honestly tried to keep my expectations pretty standard up until when I received my MCAT score on the event of getting set on a school with higher stats and then receiving a MCAT that wouldn't be competetive there. Good for the psyche yet bad for the last minute school list creation.

I am honestly unsure about my competetiveness for upper tiers due to my lack of proper research experience. I honestly have no desire to do research beyond clinical research amidst my practice. I will apply to Vandy, Emory, Chicago Pritzker, and probably Harvard.

Any idea on upper tiers who won't screen me out based on this deficiency?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I honestly tried to keep my expectations pretty standard up until when I received my MCAT score on the event of getting set on a school with higher stats and then receiving a MCAT that wouldn't be competetive there. Good for the psyche yet bad for the last minute school list creation.

I am honestly unsure about my competetiveness for upper tiers due to my lack of proper research experience. I honestly have no desire to do research beyond clinical research amidst my practice. I will apply to Vandy, Emory, Chicago Pritzker, and probably Harvard.

Any idea on upper tiers who won't screen me out based on this deficiency?

You did do research for an entire year so that's good. And unless you are applying MD PhD which I'm sure your not I don't think any school will screen you out for having a little less than average research experience.

Schools screen for things like GPA mcat and the only ecs I Thule would be clinical experience because duh your gonna be a doctor.

Schools look to have a diverse class.

Some of the upper tiers you mention like Chicago do have a mandatory research project so you have to be open yo going some which can be clinical even in Med school.

I would not worry at all.. but keep in mind you will get some rejections. But that is the nature of this game and it'll probably be due to the fact that they have just so many other stellar candidates just like you;)

Definitely add UMass! Also, you have great stats so you could add a few more "reaches"... Also, I'm not sure if you should waste time on UCF. You're not a FL resident and it's not that great of a school.

You did do research for an entire year so that's good. And unless you are applying MD PhD which I'm sure your not I don't think any school will screen you out for having a little less than average research experience.

Schools screen for things like GPA mcat and the only ecs I Thule would be clinical experience because duh your gonna be a doctor.

Schools look to have a diverse class.

Some of the upper tiers you mention like Chicago do have a mandatory research project so you have to be open yo going some which can be clinical even in Med school.

I would not worry at all.. but keep in mind you will get some rejections. But that is the nature of this game and it'll probably be due to the fact that they have just so many other stellar candidates just like you;)

Thanks for the advice. I will take it and apply accordingly. I would definitely be open to doing some clinical research.

Definitely add UMass! Also, you have great stats so you could add a few more "reaches"... Also, I'm not sure if you should waste time on UCF. You're not a FL resident and it's not that great of a school.

I was a FL resident for 24 years. Born and raised. I only lost my residency because I got married last year and my wife had t finished grad school in ma yet so we had to stay. I've had my eye in UCF since 2007 and have visited the campus multiple times and interviewed there two years ago, just before I was diagnosed. I know it's not a top tier but I believe in the program. Orlando is eh buy Fl is :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the advice and redirection guys.

Yeah, if you love UCF, definitely apply there! If you're iffy about any public OOS schools, don't include those.

Okay, looking to submit by Friday. Thoughts on my final'ish list. (3.9cgpa, 4.0sgpa, 36MCAT)

Baylor
Boston University
Emory
Geisel School of Medicine
Loyola
Mayo Medical School
Miller School of Medicine, Miami
Temple
University of Colorado
University of Kansas
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

If I can find more money...
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Cornell

Okay, looking to submit by Friday. Thoughts on my final'ish list. (3.9cgpa, 4.0sgpa, 36MCAT)

Baylor
Boston University
Emory
Geisel School of Medicine
Loyola
Mayo Medical School
Miller School of Medicine, Miami
Temple
University of Colorado
University of Kansas
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

If I can find more money...
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Cornell

Can you give more detail on the medical mission trips? Was it the typical 1-2 weeks in an under-served country, or was it something else? Medical schools have started becoming a bit cynical about medical mission trips, so it's hard to say how they'll look at it.

Also, make sure you double check which schools have a required research thesis if that isn't something you want to do. I think you definitely have a shot at the top tiers, so you just need to decide if that's important to you. If you aren't particularly interested in research, would you be willing to shell out the extra cash to go to a more prestigious school?