3.93 sGPA, 3.92 cGPA, 38 MCAT, NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person0715

Socially awkward
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been anxiously waiting for the day when I can finally make a WAMC thread. My MCAT scores came in a couple of days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised. I am currently a senior at an LAC hoping to apply to medical school during the next cycle.

Majors: Molecular Biology and Japanese
State of Residence: NJ

MCAT: 14 PS 11 VR 13 BS
GPA: 3.93 sGPA, 3.92 cGPA

Honors and awards

Health Careers Scholarship
Bridging Scholarship for Study Abroad in Japan
Foundation for Global Scholars General Scholarship
Various departmental awards

Research
300+ hours Japanese language research lab - no publications unfortunately, but might be presenting research at a conference in Japan next spring
Currently working on my own research project involving Japanese language acquisition and also biology doing research for credit for 1 semester

Experience
3 years General Chemistry TA
1 year research assistant in a plant nutrient lab
1 year Media services desk monitor
150+ hours shadowing in various specialties
400 hours healthcare for the homeless program

Also currently working as Physiology TA and General Chemistry tutor

Community Service
120 hours VITA tax preparer - prepare income taxes for low income individuals in the community
60 hours elementary school tutor
70 hours high school tutor
40 hours volunteering at after school program for elementary and middle school children

Activities
Biology Honor Society Secretary
1 year school newspaper journalist
4 years wind ensemble clarinetist
3 years Japan Club

As I am not planning to apply until next cycle, I will be taking a gap year. I hope to do a year of Americorps service in a health related organization to get more clinical experience as I understand that I am lacking in that department. Also, I know my ECs are pretty cookie-cutter, but what's done is done.

My tentative list in no particular order

Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
JHU
Penn
Mt. Sinai
NYU
U Rochester
UMDNJ- RWJ
UMDNJ- NJMS
Pittsburgh
U Chicago
Northwestern

Unsure about:
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF
Cooper Rowan (Camden, NJ is scary...)
Wash U in St. Louis (decided to add last minute since my MCAT was higher than I anticipated. Would it be worth it?)
Dartmouth (my undergrad is in the middle of nowhere, and I don't know if I would like that for med school)

I know my list is very top heavy. Am I being too optimistic to think I have a shot at a research school? Do you think I should add more "safeties" (using the term loosely). I would appreciate it if you guys could suggest some more matches. I would really love to stay in the northeast/mid-atlantic, preferably in NYC or NJ. I also really like the city of Boston, but the only schools there are BU (which gets 10k+ apps), Harvard (which is, well, Harvard), and Tufts (hella expensive...not worth it IMO).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that's about it, really, given your geographical preferences...maybe add Einstein as it's the only NYC school you left out, though it's not located quite in the same neighborhood caliber as Cornell and NYU. There are some PA schools that you're "overqualified" for, but imo idk if they're worth it.

I'd leave out CA schools if you want to say on this side of the coast. No need to pointlessly fly there for IIs when you can definitely get into somewhere on EAST COAST BEAST COAST (YEAH!).

Dartmouth ain't worth it if you don't want the secludedness; only legitimate reason to go there is for the Dartmouth Institute, which is the Holy Grail in health policy.

Can't comment on WashU, though they're notoriously number snobby (like Chicago), so you're not in bad shape.

Your dilemma is basically the same as mine, only you have higher objective stats in everything haha. (We even started our WAMC threads with the same comment lol) I'm not adding any schools I wouldn't go to over a research-heavy institution, and if I can afford to make a bet like that, then you definitely can. With the whole "protecting the yield" game schools are playing nowadays, you don't want to waste money and time applying to places that aren't optimal for your preferences and be rejected in the end.

Good luck, man! :thumbup: :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application looks stellar!!! Way to go!!! I'm interested in your research, as it sounds somewhat similar to mine.... Small world!

Anyway, everything about your app screams fantastic to me. I'm sure you'll have your pick of excellent schools.

Definitely not too top heavy, your stats are perfectly in line for the power research schools. Consider Einstein, as well as the Philadelphia area schools like Jefferson and Temple. You should also consider the SUNY's, including Downstate and Stony Brook.

Cooper Rowan is a new school, which has it's inherent risks. Plus Camden is pretty much no-mans land from a Philadelphia perspective. Dartmouth is indeed in the cold cold boonies, but have top notch global health and policy programs.

You have a good shot at getting in the CA schools, so if you are willing to pick yourself up and travel the 3000mi, both for interviews and also a potential move, then by all means apply.

Definitely not too top heavy, your stats are perfectly in line for the power research schools. Consider Einstein, as well as the Philadelphia area schools like Jefferson and Temple. You should also consider the SUNY's, including Downstate and Stony Brook.

Negative here from NY resident. SUNY is like NJ; don't bother applying as OOS. Tuition ain't worth it and heavy IS bias. Downstate is a diverse but generally crap area, and Stony is in the middle of nowhere on the tip of Long Island.

Negative here from NY resident. SUNY is like NJ; don't bother applying as OOS. Tuition ain't worth it and heavy IS bias. Downstate is a diverse but generally crap area, and Stony is in the middle of nowhere on the tip of Long Island.

Thank you for the helpful advice, everyone. I was previously considering downstate and stony brook, but as inycepoo said IS preference coupled with OOS tuition sealed the deal for me. As for Cali schools, I've always wanted to go to the west coast. At the very least, if I get an II, that's a good enough excuse to go (though I guess that's not a compelling enough reason to apply to their med schools). What do you guys think about U ColoradoDenver? I have lots of family in Denver, but I also know they are very IS biased.

Nothing wrong with aiming high, and in your case, even the UCs are in reach. But, for security, throw in ALL schools in PA and Chicago (except UIC), Albany, Mt Sinai, Duke, and NYMC. And yes, Wash U would be worth it. Good luck!

Hey everyone, I have been anxiously waiting for the day when I can finally make a WAMC thread. My MCAT scores came in a couple of days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised. I am currently a senior at an LAC hoping to apply to medical school during the next cycle.

Honors and awards

Research
300+ hours Japanese language research lab - no publications unfortunately, but might be presenting research at a conference in Japan next spring
Currently working on my own research project involving Japanese language acquisition and also biology doing research for credit for 1 semester

Experience

Community Service
120 hours VITA tax preparer - prepare income taxes for low income individuals in the community
40 hours volunteering at after school program for elementary and middle school children

Activities
3 years Japan Club

As I am not planning to apply until next cycle, I will be taking a gap year. I hope to do a year of Americorps service in a health related organization to get more clinical experience as I understand that I am lacking in that department. Also, I know my ECs are pretty cookie-cutter, but what's done is done.

Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
JHU
Penn
Mt. Sinai
NYU
U Rochester
UMDNJ- RWJ
UMDNJ- NJMS
Pittsburgh
U Chicago
Northwestern

Unsure about:
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF
Wash U in St. Louis (decided to add last minute since my MCAT was higher than I anticipated. Would it be worth it?)
Dartmouth (my undergrad is in the middle of nowhere, and I don't know if I would like that for med school)

I know my list is very top heavy. Am I being too optimistic to think I have a shot at a research school? Do you think I should add more "safeties" (using the term loosely). I would appreciate it if you guys could suggest some more matches. I would really love to stay in the northeast/mid-atlantic, preferably in NYC or NJ. I also really like the city of Boston, but the only schools there are BU (which gets 10k+ apps), Harvard (which is, well, Harvard), and Tufts (hella expensive...not worth it IMO).

Your application looks stellar!!! Way to go!!! I'm interested in your research, as it sounds somewhat similar to mine.... Small world!

Anyway, everything about your app screams fantastic to me. I'm sure you'll have your pick of excellent schools.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Good luck OP. You're all set.

Honors and awards

Research

Experience

Community Service

Activities
3 years Japan Club

Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
JHU
Penn
Mt. Sinai
NYU
U Rochester
UMDNJ- RWJ
UMDNJ- NJMS
Pittsburgh
U Chicago
Northwestern

Unsure about:
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF

Wow, just wow. The sky's the limit. Good luck!

Americorps would be nice, but I don't think you need more healthcare experience. More wouldn't hurt though.

Top schools are heavy in research, no doubt, but they also like people with other career goals. Commitment to underserved, health policy, etc. It's hard to tell from your post, but it doesn't seem like you have a cohesive goal backed by experience.

That being said, you still have a good chance at one of the top 10. I'd bet you'll have your pick of any high mid tier program.

Definitely add Michigan and WUSTL, those guys love high stats (no guarantee, but you got a shot).

I'm glad you're not applying THIS cycle with me. Haha. You are golden

OP, good job on your MCAT score!

To the others, will ADCOMs not view him as favorably because his list of activities doesn't directly show why he wants to go into medicine?

He may have a really compelling reason that he may end up stating on his personal statement, but he hasn't mentioned in this post why his interest in Japanese and plant science translates into healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)

To the others, will ADCOMs not view him as favorably because his list of activities doesn't directly show why he wants to go into medicine?

He may have a really compelling reason that he may end up stating on his personal statement, but he hasn't mentioned in this post why his interest in Japanese and plant science translates into healthcare.

If I were him I'd just talk about clinical volunteering.

Yes, because doctors are only supposed to care about medicine and nothing else. All other interests non medical related are off limits. :rolleyes:

He still has shadowing and clinical volunteering. That's good enough to show a solid interest in medicine.

Plant science research is still research, though I'm not sure if it's looked upon as favorably as traditional biology research.

Personally, I can't think of any link between Japanese and healthcare. Unless he has a genuine link between them, I'd categorize it as an outside interest, which is important.

Again, apply to any school you want to attend, because you probably have a shot at all of them. But keep some mid tiers in there as safeties. To be safe, for every top 20 school, I would add something from 20-50.

He doesn't have to. While it can help, it's not required to translate everything you do into how it relates into medicine. People have diverse interests, but adcoms actually like that, even if it doesn't have anything to do with medicine.

He doesn't have to. While it can help, it's not required to translate everything you do into how it relates into medicine. People have diverse interests, but adcoms actually like that, even if it doesn't have anything to do with medicine.

True dat. I would not know how to tie my Rubik's cubing to medicine (actually, I have ideas, but they ain't all that), but am still planning on making it a substantial part of my app.

True dat. I would not know how to tie my Rubik's cubing to medicine (actually, I have ideas, but they ain't all that), but am still planning on making it a substantial part of my app.

Nice. There's a speed cuber in my class.

Thanks for the advice, guys. As others have pointed out, Japanese is an interest completely separate from medicine. I definitely don't have the science research heavy experience that a lot of applicants have, but I also think it's important to be more than a premed research robot. When deciding what to do with my gap year, however, I will keep your helpful input in mind.