MD 3.96 GPA Community College Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Applying this cycle
-Cumulative and science GPA: 3.96 (Psychology & Biology major)

-MCAT Score – Chem and physical: 129 (93 percentile)
CARS: 127 (81 percentile)
Bio and Biochemical: 124 (44 percentile)
Psych: 128 (86 percentile)
Total: 508 (77 percentile)

-Shadowed 30 hours various doctors

-Really strong letters of rec from an employer, physician and 3 (1 non science, 2 science) professors.

-Research: Around 150 hours, not published. Worked directly with a doctor on his personal research project.

-Volunteering: 150 hours at a homeless shelter. 80 hours of environment volunteering. 280 hours EMT volunteering (I’m also EMT certified). I have around 180 hours of volunteering at my local hospital doing clinical exposure.

- Employment. Started a small freelance business. I design t-shirts and billboards etc. Also worked in retail for 9 months. All during college.

I’m a community college transfer student from California. Not interested in DO.

Arizona U of A
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (grew up in the area)
UC San Diego
Colorodo
Connecticut
Quinnipiac-Netter
George Washington
Chicago Med Franklin
Loyola-Stritch
Rush
Tufts
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan-Stryker
Missouri Kansas City
Saint Louis
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical
StonyBrook
Wright State Boonshoft
Commonwealth
Jefferson Kimmel
Penn State
Temple
Brown-Alpert
MU South Caorline
South Carolina
South Caroline Greenville
Utah
Vermont
U Washington
MC Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply low tier MD and probably DO. The low Bio section worries me. Everything else looks to be in order.

Bio score translates to around an 8 which is a problem but I don't really think it's lethal.

What can be lethal is the lack of clinical exposure(and yes med schools want more than just EMT volunteering).

I would wait a year; boost the EC's, get the clinical exposure. Despite the Bio score, I think all in all if you get the clinical exposure and can keep boosting your EC's for another year you'll be ok with a 3.9/30 a year from now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bio score translates to around an 8 which is a problem but I don't really think it's lethal.

What can be lethal is the lack of clinical exposure(and yes med schools want more than just EMT volunteering).

I would wait a year; boost the EC's, get the clinical exposure. Despite the Bio score, I think all in all if you get the clinical exposure and can keep boosting your EC's for another year you'll be ok with a 3.9/30 a year from now.

I forgot to mention I have around 180 hours of volunteering at my local hospital doing clinical exposure.

I forgot to mention I have around 180 hours of volunteering at my local hospital doing clinical exposure.

I still think it might be a good idea to wait a year but yeah if you have the clinical exposure that's probably the green light to go ahead and apply if you like.

I still think it might be a good idea to wait a year but yeah if you have the clinical exposure that's probably the green light to go ahead and apply if you like.

I can't really afford to wait a year, so I would have to apply this cycle.

Your bio score is like 8-9; hopefully it comes out on the upper range. Your overall is 30-31. So I think with a well balanced list you are good to go. Apply low tier private MD and DO.

Thanks. Really not interested in DO schools. I feel like my application is very strong except for the low bio MCAT score. Does this really limit me to only low tier MD?

Thanks. Really not interested in DO schools. I feel like my application is very strong except for the low bio MCAT score. Does this really limit me to only low tier MD?
You need a really good OOS list. If you can find schools with a median MCAT near yours (when you get it) apply to all of them that take at least 20% OOS.

I can tell by your posts that you already know that you are a much better DO than MD candidate.

Reactions: 2 users
You need a good OOS list.
Do you have one?
I'll be applying to most of the CA schools. However, I have been working on an out of state list of schools. I've been on MSAR narrowing the schools by median MCAT <33. I suppose this is the best way to go about it?

I'll be applying to most of the CA schools. However, I have been working on an out of state list of schools. I've been on MSAR narrowing the schools by median MCAT <33. I suppose this is the best way to go about it?
That and paying very close attention to matriculants and interviews given out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
It might turn out to be more like 30. Be prepared.
There are several CA schools you could safely delete.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as compiling a list, I've read a million people in your situation (applying low to mid MD) from California that come across WAMC. You can read through and see the schools suggested to them. I would post your list when you've come up with it here so you can get help. Avoid schools with very strict missions (ECU, ETSU, Ole Miss, Mercer) because the MSAR will trick you if you don't pay close to attention to the numbers I suggested before.

As far as your application being deserving of mid-tier MD, your being from California really hurts. I believe @gyngyn has suggested the SUNYs for California residents in the past. If I'm not mistaken.

You can delete Colorado, Connecticut, Wayne State, Missouri, North Carolina, Stony Brook, Wright State, Utah, Washington and the South Carolina schools since they are state schools that accept very few OOS applicants with your MCAT score. Brown is a far reach. Otherwise your list is good but add Drexel and Tulane. Since you are unwilling to consider DO add California Northstate also.

The thing with saying "my application is really good except for my BIO score" is that your BIO score matters alot and getting less than the national average on the BIO section when you are a BIO major is a red flag.

The more I look at it I get the caution with which gyngyn is expressing and telling you to proceed.

Rather bland EC's+ 29 MCAT+ bad Bio MCAT score+ California resident? There are concerns to be had.

From your initial list GW, Quinnipac, Rush, Oakland, Western Michigan, Saint Louis, TCMC, Wake Forest(I remember reading that their 10th percentile MCAT is 30 so if it is consider removing), Albany, Penn State, Temple and Vermont(maybe) and Jefferson(maybe) are in play as legitimate options. It could be possible the SUNYs might be worth a look but the 29 is a problem OOS. It might also be possible Arizona is worth a look but again the MCAT OOS is a problem. If you are gunning for MD and MD only you really need a strong and thorough OOS list. You need more schools. Drexel, Rosalind, Loyola(maybe), Georgetown, Tufts(maybe 33 MCAT average I believe), WVU(maybe), NYMC are good places to start looking at.

Thanks guys, any other OOS schools I should add? I added all of the ones you guys recommended so far.

Thanks guys, any other OOS schools I should add? I added all of the ones you guys recommended so far.
My case would be very similar to yours in the future. Could you please update me on what you're doing currently and where you decided to go?

My case would be very similar to yours in the future. Could you please update me on what you're doing currently and where you decided to go?

Got accepted into an M.D. tier 2 medical school! I also ended up applying to D.O schools which I landed a few interviews. Good luck with your situation