3.98 GPA, 35 MCAT, top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seattlewapremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I look for the top schools (Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, etc.)?

21/White
GPA: 3.98
MCAT: 35 MCAT (13/11/11)
Neuroscience major, Good State School

Clinical Experience
Hospital Volunteer - 100 hours
ER Scribe (with promotions, etc.) - 1000 hours over 1.5 years

Shadowing
Family Medicine - 60 hours
Neurologist - 16 hours
Orthopedic Surgeon - 16 hours
ER (scribing) - 1000 hours over 1.5 years

Non-Clinical Volunteering
Christian Ministry - 5 years, leadership positions (paid and unpaid), thousands of volunteer hours, summer camp live-in volunteer, mentored high schoolers at the most diverse high school in the country
Make-A-Wish - 200 hours over 1 year
German Club Co-Founder - 50 hours over 1 school year
Undergraduate Mentor - 100 hours over 1 year

Leadership
ER Scribe Regional Manager
Undergraduate Honors College Mentor
German Club Co-Founder
Christian Ministry Leader (see above)

Awards
Smallish research grants
Full ride scholarship to state school
Multiple departmental scholarships

Research
Behavioral Neuroscience Research - 4 years, thousands of hours, 6 independent projects, 3 publications (one first-author and two mid-author), 5 conferences (regional), research awards and grants. Basically worked at a grad student level in undergrad (my PI was awesome!).

Letters
Should be good (4+ physicians, 3 science professors, 1 non-science, PI, postdoc) for committee letter

Hobbies
Bodybuilding/Tough Mudders/Marathons
SCUBA
Piano
Traveling (studied abroad in HS, numerous other small trips)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do I look for the top schools (Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, etc.)?

21/White
GPA: 3.98
MCAT: 35 MCAT (13/11/11)
Neuroscience major, Good State School

Clinical Experience
Hospital Volunteer - 100 hours
ER Scribe (with promotions, etc.) - 1000 hours over 1.5 years

Shadowing
Family Medicine - 60 hours
Neurologist - 16 hours
Orthopedic Surgeon - 16 hours
ER (scribing) - 1000 hours over 1.5 years

Non-Clinical Volunteering
Christian Ministry - 5 years, leadership positions (paid and unpaid), thousands of volunteer hours, summer camp live-in volunteer, mentored high schoolers at the most diverse high school in the country
Make-A-Wish - 200 hours over 1 year
German Club Co-Founder - 50 hours over 1 school year
Undergraduate Mentor - 100 hours over 1 year

Leadership
ER Scribe Regional Manager
Undergraduate Honors College Mentor
German Club Co-Founder
Christian Ministry Leader (see above)

Awards
Smallish research grants
Full ride scholarship to state school
Multiple departmental scholarships

Research
Behavioral Neuroscience Research - 4 years, thousands of hours, 6 independent projects, 3 publications (one first-author and two mid-author), 5 conferences (regional), research awards and grants. Basically worked at a grad student level in undergrad (my PI was awesome!).

Letters
Should be good (4+ physicians, 3 science professors, PI, postdoc)

Hobbies
Bodybuilding/Tough Mudders/Marathons
SCUBA
Piano
Traveling (studied abroad in HS, numerous other small trips)
I think you look fine for top schools. Well done.

Note that most schools will have an LOR limitation (unless they are condensed into a single committee letter, but then they count as one). Don't exceed it.

I agree with Catalystik, no more than 5 otherwise you look suspicious trying to make up for something

Members don't see this ad :)
You have as much of a shot as anybody for getting into any school. Bear in mind that getting into top schools is often a crapshoot, so make sure that you include mid-tier safeties, but your application is excellent.

I would make sure to apply to schools ranked 20-35 too. I had a 4.0 and a 35, but my extracurricular activities were not quite as good as yours. I did not get an interview at columbia, but did get interviews at Baylor, Emory (acceptance), UTSW, and Dartmouth and some lower ranked schools.

I think you look great! I know you mentioned trips in high school and you need to remember not to put anything from way back in high school as an activity on your AMCAS. My only other suggestion is that I applied to a lot of top schools and some schools I applied to did require a nonscience faculty letter and I am wondering with all your nonclinical volunteer work why you don't have someone from that writing you a letter. You have done a lot, but you must also be able to explain everything in a meaningful way in your application and personal statement and represent yourself as best as you can throughout the whole process.

I would make sure to apply to schools ranked 20-35 too. I had a 4.0 and a 35, but my extracurricular activities were not quite as good as yours. I did not get an interview at columbia, but did get interviews at Baylor, Emory (acceptance), UTSW, and Dartmouth and some lower ranked schools.

I honestly don't think this is necessary. My LizzyM score is comparable to yours and my ECs are not nearly as good, but I only applied to top-25ish schools and got interview invites from 8 out of 13.

I honestly don't think this is necessary. My LizzyM score is comparable to yours and my ECs are not nearly as good, but I only applied to top-25ish schools and got interview invites from 8 out of 13.

:thumbdown:

I think you look fine for top schools. Well done.

Note that most schools will have an LOR limitation (unless they are condensed into a single committee letter, but then they count as one). Don't exceed it.

My school does use a full committee process and they have specifically told me to include as many strong letters as possible. They will glean out the information from these so to speak for their committee letter.

I think you look great! I know you mentioned trips in high school and you need to remember not to put anything from way back in high school as an activity on your AMCAS. My only other suggestion is that I applied to a lot of top schools and some schools I applied to did require a nonscience faculty letter and I am wondering with all your nonclinical volunteer work why you don't have someone from that writing you a letter. You have done a lot, but you must also be able to explain everything in a meaningful way in your application and personal statement and represent yourself as best as you can throughout the whole process.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

I will not put in high school activities, but I was going to talk about traveling (and weave in how I studied abroad in HS, but obviously not a separate activity).

Also, I could very easily get 2-3 nonclinical volunteering letters. Thanks for bringing that up. Also, I do have a non-science faculty letter (I forgot to include that).

Noted. I do plan to apply to OHSU, Loma Linda, U Arizona, Eastern Virginia, etc. as mid-tiers. Thanks!

The really top schools look for something unique, so your 'usual activities' won't impress anyone here. Not that your stats aren't excellent -- they are.

But Harvard's going to compare your ap to 'the Rhodes Scholar', 'the gal who published that autism gene article', 'the guy who cloned chickens', and 'the Olympic sailor'. Do you have a handle like those?

Your 'safeties' should be attractive enough that they don't screen you out because they know they're your safeties.

Members don't see this ad :)
The really top schools look for something unique, so your 'usual activities' won't impress anyone here. Not that your stats aren't excellent -- they are.

But Harvard's going to compare your ap to 'the Rhodes Scholar', 'the gal who published that autism gene article', 'the guy who cloned chickens', and 'the Olympic sailor'. Do you have a handle like those?

Your 'safeties' should be attractive enough that they don't screen you out because they know they're your safeties.

Not exactly true, although there is some validity to what you're saying.

The top schools seek to diversify their class. They do accept a few stellar traditional applicants with nothing that compares to curing cancer or being an Olympic sailor.

OP, you look fine for the top schools. Remember that it IS a crapshoot, so don't have your heart automatically set for these schools. Good luck!

Bump. Anyone else? Thanks guys!

I think you're in good shape to get a top 10 acceptance. Make sure you put a lot of effort into writing your activity descriptions (as much time as you put into your personal statement, or more). You'll certainly be getting interviews, and that will play a large factor in whether you ultimately get the acceptances or not. Also, regarding LORs, I would suggest this spread: 2 science professors, 1 non-science professors, 1 research, 2 extracurricular (such as volunteering or more research). Most schools don't want more than 6 letters, and some schools have a maximum of 4 to 5 so keep that in mind. Read my MDApps for more tips, but great job and good luck! :thumbup:

There's probably like 2 of those in each top school's incoming class. The vast majority of applicants accepted to medical schools, even the very best ones, are just average Joes like me. Don't be intimidated OP.

There's probably like 2 of those in each top school's incoming class. The vast majority of applicants accepted to medical schools, even the very best ones, are just average Joes like me. Don't be intimidated OP.

I get your point, but though you may not have Rhodes Scholar type uniqueness you're far from an average dude applying to med school.

My school does use a full committee process and they have specifically told me to include as many strong letters as possible. They will glean out the information from these so to speak for their committee letter.

I agree with Kdizzle on LOR. Check with LizzyM before smacking schools with 9 LOR. Basically everyone competitive for top-10 schools can summon a legion of people who think they're smart/altruistic. They key is to find those 3-5 people who know you really well and can point to specific examples of truly remarkable thinking/leadership/empathy. If I were an adcom and saw that a great applicant had 9 letters it would strike me as very funny, as in, "this guy must have been worried that the 5 mentors he has worked with the most wouldn't talk him up enough. What's up with that?"

Maybe your committee will whittle which letters they use down itself, in which case my point isn't relevant. In any case I would make sure top medical schools won't care if 9 LOR are attached to a committee letter.

I think you're in good shape to get a top 10 acceptance. Make sure you put a lot of effort into writing your activity descriptions (as much time as you put into your personal statement, or more). You'll certainly be getting interviews, and that will play a large factor in whether you ultimately get the acceptances or not. Also, regarding LORs, I would suggest this spread: 2 science professors, 1 non-science professors, 1 research, 2 extracurricular (such as volunteering or more research). Most schools don't want more than 6 letters, and some schools have a maximum of 4 to 5 so keep that in mind. Read my MDApps for more tips, but great job and good luck! :thumbup:
Thank you very much! Your MDApps is very inspiring. To do half as well as you did I would be more than ecstatic. Thanks!

I agree with Kdizzle on LOR. Check with LizzyM before smacking schools with 9 LOR. Basically everyone competitive for top-10 schools can summon a legion of people who think they're smart/altruistic. They key is to find those 3-5 people who know you really well and can point to specific examples of truly remarkable thinking/leadership/empathy. If I were an adcom and saw that a great applicant had 9 letters it would strike me as very funny, as in, "this guy must have been worried that the 5 mentors he has worked with the most wouldn't talk him up enough. What's up with that?"

Maybe your committee will whittle which letters they use down itself, in which case my point isn't relevant. In any case I would make sure top medical schools won't care if 9 LOR are attached to a committee letter.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, my committee letter "takes the best" so to speak. My premed advisor told me point blank that I need to send as many good LORs as humanly possible. They will "pick" the best ones to focus on so to speak.

Then again, I will rethink sending 9 LOR. Now that I think of it, that is too much. I will aim more for 6 or something like that.

Thanks!

Okay, glad you thought it was useful. It sounds like you have a great application (I would argue your research is a really unique ec). I'm sure you'll do very well this cycle.

OP - if you're going to apply to LLU as a mid-tier, I would consider the rest of the UC's unless you really aren't interested in CA. You have a good chance at all of them, exept UCSF. No one has really cracked their code.

KDizzle - you have an incredibly informative/useful MDApps page. Hats off.

OP - if you're going to apply to LLU as a mid-tier, I would consider the rest of the UC's unless you really aren't interested in CA. You have a good chance at all of them, exept UCSF. No one has really cracked their code.

KDizzle - you have an incredibly informative/useful MDApps page. Hats off.

Thank you. I will consider that.

What do you guys think of this school list for my application?

30ix6pi.jpg

I've just noticed that you have "German club co-founder" listed as non-clinical volunteering, which I would not recommend. That would probably go under the "Leadership" category.

On the subject of your school list, I would say 27 schools is a bit overboard. However, if you can afford it (both in terms of money and time), there's no reason not to send out as many apps as possible. Just bear in mind that your interview costs are going to start adding up very quickly. Also, you would probably have more luck applying to UCLA as an out of state than UCSD. Up to you, though. No one will blame you for not wanting to live in LA. I would trim off a few schools so that you have more money and time to focus on the applications you really care about. Consider removing Miami, Arizona, etc. unless you actually want to go there.

I've just noticed that you have "German club co-founder" listed as non-clinical volunteering, which I would not recommend. That would probably go under the "Leadership" category.

On the subject of your school list, I would say 27 schools is a bit overboard. However, if you can afford it (both in terms of money and time), there's no reason not to send out as many apps as possible. Just bear in mind that your interview costs are going to start adding up very quickly. Also, you would probably have more luck applying to UCLA as an out of state than UCSD. Up to you, though. No one will blame you for not wanting to live in LA. I would trim off a few schools so that you have more money and time to focus on the applications you really care about. Consider removing Miami, Arizona, etc. unless you actually want to go there.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Arizona would be a place I would love to live as I have family there. As far as Miami, etc., I threw those in to add in some non-top 20 schools. Do I have a well enough rounded list (reach, safety, etc.)?

I think you have a good mix - you did apply to a lot of schools and a lot of top schools so you need to apply to a lot. I think - especially with 3 publications and that much research yo are as good of a candidate as anyone! If agree that you can afford to get rid of one or two lower tier schools that you would not be thrilled to attend (I realized that I applied to too many safety schools, but I was so afraid of getting rejected everywhere). Have you thought about Yale - that was actually my favorite of the top schools I interviewed at.

I think you have a good mix - you did apply to a lot of schools and a lot of top schools so you need to apply to a lot. I think - especially with 3 publications and that much research yo are as good of a candidate as anyone! If agree that you can afford to get rid of one or two lower tier schools that you would not be thrilled to attend (I realized that I applied to too many safety schools, but I was so afraid of getting rejected everywhere). Have you thought about Yale - that was actually my favorite of the top schools I interviewed at.

Besides Mayo of course:love:

Thank you for the advice. I forgot to enter Yale. It seems like a great school.

I think I will be taking off Loyola, Rush, and Tufts. Would that be a fair list? Sorry for being annoying, I would just hate to have to reapply!

Thank you for the advice. I forgot to enter Yale. It seems like a great school.

I think I will be taking off Loyola and Rush. Would that be a fair list? Sorry for being annoying, I would just hate to have to reapply!

No worries, we all get a bit neurotic around application season. It's just part of the process.

I would also consider removing any reach schools that you aren't absolutely sure you want to attend. Vanderbilt is a good fit for you in terms of stats, but you need to ask yourself whether you would really be happy spending four years in Tennessee. As someone who grew up in the Northeast and now lives in South Carolina, I can tell you that going from Seattle to the Bible Belt may be a pretty big change of culture (not to mention weather). It's an incredible school, just keep the area in mind when making your final choices. The same goes for schools like Mayo, WashU, etc. They're great schools, but you need to be sure that you could be happy living there for at least four years. Other than that, you have a good list. At this point, you may want to go through and eliminate any schools that wouldn't be worth their price tag to you. OHSU and Northwestern, for example, have enormous price tags. OHSU has very high OOS tuition and Northwestern is in a very expensive part of Chicago.

Best of luck.

How about this list? I'm just trying to make sure I have a good enough mix of safety schools. This list isn't too top-heavy right? I'm not too terribly attached to Miami or Tufts. I could remove those. Thanks again.

Screen_Shot_2013_05_17_at_9_06_44_PM.png

I see you took into account some of the advice you for here and I think your list looks good:) and if you chance your mind and want to add a few more top schools in the next month or so. I did this and still got interviews at them. Good luck!

I see you took into account some of the advice you for here and I think your list looks good:) and if you chance your mind and want to add a few more top schools in the next month or so. I did this and still got interviews at them. Good luck!

Thank you very much!