3 emergency cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laya533

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is usually asked at interviews:
You're the only doc in an ER when 3 emergency cases come in, which one do you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

laya533 said:
You're the only doc in an ER when 3 emergency cases come in, which one do you choose?

I see ...Whats the answer? :laugh:

who r the three people?

Members don't see this ad :)
multitask and work on all 3 :D

supersash said:
who r the three people?
There is no right or wrong answer and the only info that is given in the Q is that they have different jobs. (did not mention their jobs)

Hi.......
of course, it is the most serious one...
and for sure you will call for help :oops:

Hmm...I always heard the you should work on the one that has the highest chance of survival. ??

BradenDO said:
Hmm...I always heard the you should work on the one that has the highest chance of survival. ??

That's what I think you should do. Prioritize and treat. In fact, that's exactly what the military does on the battlefield.

bright rose said:
Hi.......
of course, it is the most serious one...

not necessarily...
when you triage, you have to take into consideration the likelihood of survival. you have to concentrate your efforts on the most critical patient that has the best likelihood of survival (ie figure out who is salvagable, who isn't, and then treat those remaining in order of their critical-ness).

That is funny to mention their job in the question, as if someone will actually blurt out: "Help the lawyer, he's more important!"

lol My thoughts exactly!

Actually (speaking as a former military medic), you treat the one who can be most quickly stablized. But the general rule is to treat the personal with the most immediate life threat that is treatable. For example, if you have the choice between a woman in late stages of uncomplicated labor (i.e., the baby is coming within the next few minutes), a crashing asthmatic, and a gunshot wound to the head, I'd focus on the asthmatic. The GSW to the head is likely nonviable, the woman is in no dire distress (due to the lack of complications), and the asthma attack is most likely to respond to treatment. The head shot is likely to need to be tubed and bleeding controlled, but those can be done quickly but then the patient would be going to CT for further studies or to the OR. Do your ABC's on the GSW, then move on to the asthmatic, work on stabilizing that one and tell a nurse to notify you as the baby is delivering.

When in doubt, do the greatest good for the greatest number.

"Triage" is the word you're all looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goose-d said:
not necessarily...
when you triage, you have to take into consideration the likelihood of survival. you have to concentrate your efforts on the most critical patient that has the best likelihood of survival (ie figure out who is salvagable, who isn't, and then treat those remaining in order of their critical-ness).
right, that's exactly what i was going to say...

Actually, in civilian prehospital triage, the emphasis is put on the most critical, regardless of likelihood to survive. Most EMS systems use START triage in which the only measures are respiratory status, perfusion status, and ability to follow commands. Now granted, most properly trained people given extreme circumstances such as described are going to treat the asthmatic first, but most untrained person (or even those trained but with little experience) would probably go for treating the very devestating and obviously mortally wounded victim. I went into detail because I assumed the OP probably had little or no medical experience or training, but yes, you're right it's nothing more than glorified triage. However I seriously doubt that medical schools are looking to see if their applicants know how to properly triage ER patients during the interview. More than likely they are looking for you to be able to back up your reasoning and I was demonstrating this. Alles klar?

Okay, so triage is prioritizing patients? Sorry, I'm kind of confused on the term.

Praetorian said:
Actually (speaking as a former military medic), you treat the one who can be most quickly stablized. But the general rule is to treat the personal with the most immediate life threat that is treatable. For example, if you have the choice between a woman in late stages of uncomplicated labor (i.e., the baby is coming within the next few minutes), a crashing asthmatic, and a gunshot wound to the head, I'd focus on the asthmatic. The GSW to the head is likely nonviable, the woman is in no dire distress (due to the lack of complications), and the asthma attack is most likely to respond to treatment. The head shot is likely to need to be tubed and bleeding controlled, but those can be done quickly but then the patient would be going to CT for further studies or to the OR. Do your ABC's on the GSW, then move on to the asthmatic, work on stabilizing that one and tell a nurse to notify you as the baby is delivering.

When in doubt, do the greatest good for the greatest number.

I would toss an inhaler to Mr. asthmatic... tell Mrs. labor to hold her horses, and turf bullethead to neuro and still be home in time for dinner. How you ask? Quite simply, cuz I'm an all-star :D

That sounds like a great idea! Good Thinking!

Its a trick question. Since your the only doc, your supposed to utilize your nurses. Can't be at all places at once.

WhatUpDoc! said:
I would toss an inhaler to Mr. asthmatic... tell Mrs. labor to hold her horses, and turf bullethead to neuro and still be home in time for dinner. How you ask? Quite simply, cuz I'm an all-star :D

Is there a possibility Mr. Asthmatic is allergic to the medicine in the inhaler you tossed? If it's medically possible, that would be the outcome if I were the interviewer. It's too glib an answer.

In an interview, I would make it clear that I would treat based on the triage principles that I plan to learn during my clinical rotations and my residency. I would make it clear that any extraneous factors that are mentioned, such as profession or race wouldn't matter during the medical assessment. If I get the impression the interviewer wants me to try despite my lack of knowledge in the specifics, I'd do my best to give a thoughtful answer, but I wouldn't worry if I wasn't perfect, because that's why I want to go to medical school - to learn medicine. I don't have any training beyond first aid/buddy care, so I wouldn't try to do anything outside the incredibly limited scope of that training.

If the interviewer is a MD then they could throw in other symptoms that would change the order in which you would treat them. I got the asthma patient, heart attack, and pregnant lady. The point of this question is not to test your clinical knowledge, but how you would use your support staff in handling a critical situation. Thats why they tell you that your the only doc in the ER.

who asks these questions in interviews? glad I didn't have to deal with them when i interviewed, since the answer isn't really important at such a stage. U're not trained to know this stuff yet, so why should u be asked. It's like "so tell me what the symptoms of pancreatitis are?" in Harold and Kumar. u guys are better off watching that movie than dealing with this question :laugh:

Rendar5 said:
who asks these questions in interviews? glad I didn't have to deal with them when i interviewed, since the answer isn't really important at such a stage. U're not trained to know this stuff yet, so why should u be asked. It's like "so tell me what the symptoms of pancreatitis are?" in Harold and Kumar. u guys are better off watching that movie than dealing with this question :laugh:

Great movie by the way :thumbup: Should be required pre-med watching

nrddct said:
Its a trick question. Since your the only doc, your supposed to utilize your nurses. Can't be at all places at once.
*cough, cough* If it's a lung problem, you'd be better off utilizing your RT's ;)

Sorry had to get in a plug for my former profession...... :smuggrin:

laya533 said:

I was never asked anything like that at my interviews. But I would go with whoever is most critical and if more than one is, whoever you have the best chance of saving.