3 science classes in a semester.. unpractical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone I've talked to is like your gonna die if you do three, I'd never take more than 2,etc... I am a pre med student majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience and because of that by default my minor is Biology. For a pre health class i was taking, the teacher made us write out our 4 year plan class wise. I came into college with alot of credits so I will be graduating in 3-3.5 years rather than 4. Ok so here is the story.
Starting next fall I will have to take 3 science class per semester so I can finish in a decent time. Since my minor is bio every semester I will have 2 prerequisites science class for the mcat and a bio class for my major. When I was mapping everything out it worked out to where I wouldnt be able to take the MCAT till my last semester of college because thats when id be finished with all the required classes. I should be graduating in spring of 2018. At my school bio 1 is the hardest bio class because it is a weed out class and the teacher is one of the toughest science teachers. Everyone that ive talked to that is a bio major and an upperclassmen have said bio 1 is the hardest by far and that bio 2-3 and pretty straight forward and ALOT easier. I was taking Bio 1 and Chem 1 this semester but because of me focusing way to much on bio and not prioritizing right, I wasnt doing great in chem so i dropped it. I still have all the old homework and labs. For chem you dont have to do lab reports. Instead we do worksheets before and after each lab and that counts as our lab report.
What I wanted to do for next semester was take bio 2, chem 1, and Physics 1. Do you think thats practical? ALot of people say to avoid taking chem and physics together. I dont think bio 2 will be too hard and im pretty good at biology anyway. Chem is probably be the same books thus the same lab stuff and I did really good on lab it was just lecture i didnt pay attention to, but i mean i have all the old worksheets so i dont think it would be to hard. The only thing im worried about is physics. Its my least favorite science class but if i am able to take it next semester than Ill be able to take the mcat before my last semester and I wont have to wait a whole year after graduation for medical school.
I attached the 4 year plan incase any one is interested. And if anyone is wondering why all my semesters are between 17-19 credit hours its because my school has a policy that all pre med students have to take alot least 17 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 4 year plan example blank.xlsx
    14.5 KB · Views: 133
Holy wall of text Bat Premed!!

Taking biology, chemistry and physics courses all at once is not abnormal and quite doable, if you work efficiently. Try adding calculus on top of that and you'll have many premeds' second freshman semester!

It's up to you to determine if you can handle it. I'm inclined to think you probably can.

Reactions: 1 users
Only you can answer this question since you know your own capabilities.

Personally, there were several semesters in which I've taken 3 science classes and did well, including a semester of physics, orgo II, and biochem. You'll need to judge for yourself what you can handle

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy wall of text Bat Premed!!

Taking biology, chemistry and physics courses all at once is not abnormal and quite doable, if you work efficiently. Try adding calculus on top of that and you'll have many premeds' second freshman semester!

It's up to you to determine if you can handle it. I'm inclined to think you probably can.
Sorry I just like to give alot of context. I heard that the math in chemistry builds on Physics so they should be taken separately. I think my biggest concern is taking them together. Do you think they are very connected or that its ok to do it in the same semester?

Make sure to plan some time to study for the MCAT. With the 17-hour policy, you'll probably want to study during a summer and take it at the beginning of the following fall semester (end of August/beginning of September)

You don't need to take physics or chemistry before one or the other for math purposes. You could take them at the same time just fine.

Only you can answer this question since you know your own capabilities.

Personally, there were several semesters in which I've taken 3 science classes and did well, including a semester of physics, orgo II, and biochem. You'll need to judge for yourself what you can handle
What was the hardest part of taking 3 sciences instead of 2? Id imagine it was the labs

Make sure to plan some time to study for the MCAT. With the 17-hour policy, you'll probably want to study during a summer and take it at the beginning of the following fall semester (end of August/beginning of September)
If I did the math right, Im hoping ill have all if not all but 1 of the requirements finished by the summer of 2017, so i plan on intense studying those 2-3 months then taking the MCAT in the fall

Sounds good. Refer back to SDN when the time approaches, as there is a ton of information about how to go about studying. You don't need to worry about that now though.

Most premeds take 3 or more each semester. I'm in physics 2, orgo 2, molecular bio, and comparative anatomy now and it's manageable

Sorry I just like to give alot of context. I heard that the math in chemistry builds on Physics so they should be taken separately. I think my biggest concern is taking them together. Do you think they are very connected or that its ok to do it in the same semester?
I've found no notable connection between physics and chemistry in terms of the math used. You'll use algebra in both, but each have their own theories and related formulae. They're fine to take together.

Sounds good. Refer back to SDN when the time approaches, as there is a ton of information about how to go about studying. You don't need to worry about that now though.
Do you think you can take the MCAT with just organic chem 1 or do you think you should definitely finish Organic 1 and 2?

If I did the math right, Im hoping ill have all if not all but 1 of the requirements finished by the summer of 2017, so i plan on intense studying those 2-3 months then taking the MCAT in the fall
Summer studying is a good idea!

Finish both ochem I and II! You'll need biochemistry, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think you can take the MCAT with just organic chem 1 or do you think you should definitely finish Organic 1 and 2?
There was maybe 2 problems on organic when I took it. You probably only need orgo 1. In fact, many schools don't require orgo 2 anymore and instead want you to take biochemistry.

EDIT: You should definitely take biochemistry regardless for the new MCAT.

Ya i just dont think it would be effective to study while have 18 credits to do
I took 12 credits when I studied. I did well, but more time would have been nice as well.

There was maybe 2 problems on organic when I took it. You probably only need orgo 1. In fact, many schools don't require orgo 2 anymore and instead want you to take biochemistry.

I took 12 credits when I studied. I did well, but more time would have been nice as well.
Ya I read alot of people on read only did Orgo 1 and they said they did fine on the test. So you think it wouldnt hurt me to bad it i didnt take orgo 2 and just studied it a little from the MCAT prep books and stuff?

Ya I read alot of people on read only did Orgo 1 and they said they did fine on the test. So you think it wouldnt hurt me to bad it i didnt take orgo 2 and just studied it a little from the MCAT prep books and stuff?

Oh and when did you take it?

I was just reading the forums and a few people said they took the MCAT after their sophomore year...How is that possible ? There wouldnt be any way to take all the required classes

I took it in May after my 4th year (I was staying 5 for a double major).

If you do well in organic 1 and biochemistry, then you should be able to understand any new concepts in the prep books.

How is that possible ? There wouldnt be any way to take all the required classes

You have to take the Chem to Biochem sequence as soon as possible.

I took O Chem I with the lab over the summer my freshman year. Since you dropped chemistry that won't be possible for you.

If you want to get your Chem sequence in completely you might want to consider taking Chem II over the summer. Then you would be looking at taking O Chem II and Biochem together which works for some people.

To answer your original question three science courses in one semester are definitely doable. Good luck!

I'm taking orgo, physics, and bio together and am doing well in them.

Most of the people I know are taking 3 as well, they seem to be doing alright in them.

The worst part is all the labs; just don't fall too far behind and you should be okay.

I was just reading the forums and a few people said they took the MCAT after their sophomore year...How is that possible ? There wouldnt be any way to take all the required classes

The previous MCAT had fewer course requirements.

That depends on you. I know I've taken 3 science courses over multiple semesters during undergrad, so it's definitely doable.

If you can't handle three science courses at once.....then what is your plan for med school?

Aka yes its fine.

Three BCPM courses in a semester is, like others said, quite doable. It should be a piece of cake (relatively speaking). I personally would recommend no more than 3 BCPM per semester along with 1 or 2 classes in something non-BCPM that intrigues you. Take advantage of the fact that you can study many different disciplines while in university that may or may not be related. Perhaps you can take economics/finance courses that may teach you practical information for later use. Learn a language. Study literature. Just find something that you feel will lead to your development as an individual while providing you a greater fund of knowledge. In your spare time, maybe join a local Toastmasters club to hone your rhetoric skills. Once you go to medical school and beyond, your education will become very focused.

As for the MCAT, I would strongly advise against studying during the semester. The best time to study is during the summer prior to the cycle during which you plan to apply. Before starting your MCAT preparation, be sure to have a detailed schedule that you know you can follow before that summer. Have all your books and other materials before you begin. Once you start, it will require extreme diligence in order to achieve a desirable score. You will not have time for experimentation. While you may be able to balance some lighter commitments with your preparation, you should avoid heavier commitments such as a semester's worth of classes.

I've done 4 in a semester before and everyone told me I would die also.

I took ochem, physics, bio, micro, and calculus in one semester and did pretty well. The labs were the biggest time sinks.

3 is possible - as a freshman it may be hard because you probably haven't developed good time management yet (evidenced by you dropping chem).

^^ jesus... I thought I was taking on a lot when I took molecular, biochem1, and physics in one semester.... but yeah you'll be fine. In fact, I think I did the best when I had less time and more credits. Seems the more credits I take the higher GPA I get, and obviously vice versa. Perhaps from lackadaisical work ethic this year after acceptance and subsequent senioritis.

I don't think I ever took a semester with less than 3 science classes a semester. If that seems daunting, even if you are doing well in your classes, you should explore other ways of learning or talk to education resources etc. Virtually everyone, even those with straight A's can study better/more efficiently. Well worth it early on to do it.

considering you dropped chem, i would say get a hang next semester of 2 science classes again before going on from 1 to three, but thats just me.

All of the classes people are humble-bragging above about were not in their first introductory years likely (seeing orogchem + other upper levels up there), and even if they were, focus on what you need to do. Its a bad idea to jump the gun on three science classes when you have yet to master time-management between these 2. I had similar problem over-focusing on one class, but it takes some time to learn the rhythm.

My advice is take 2. Master that, then move on up. I did same and it has been working out great. I took 2 (got As), took 3 (got As) then took 4 (getting As). The gradual build-up is good.

Sheesh your school is annoying with 17 credits minimum, especially because its such an odd number of credits.

I mean its all doable. My freshman first semester I took Ochem 1, physics 1 (both at the honors level and my physics class is known to be extremely tough compared to the other choices I had) and a grad level math course all my first semester while still going out every weekend (most weekends twice) and taking other classes as well as working. I ended up with A's and A-'s too so it all depends on if you are capable of working hard and working efficiently. Anyways medical school is supposed to be much more intense than anything you do in undergrad so if you don't think you can handle three science classes in one semester I imagine it will be even worse for you in medical school.

considering you dropped chem, i would say get a hang next semester of 2 science classes again before going on from 1 to three, but thats just me.

All of the classes people are humble-bragging above about were not in their first introductory years likely (seeing orogchem + other upper levels up there), and even if they were, focus on what you need to do. Its a bad idea to jump the gun on three science classes when you have yet to master time-management between these 2. I had similar problem over-focusing on one class, but it takes some time to learn the rhythm.

My advice is take 2. Master that, then move on up. I did same and it has been working out great. I took 2 (got As), took 3 (got As) then took 4 (getting As). The gradual build-up is good.

Sheesh your school is annoying with 17 credits minimum, especially because its such an odd number of credits.

I was just bragging - nothing humble about it.

I will re-iterate that all you need is to develop time management skills, which you eventually will, and then you @browneyes124 can tackle these classes well.

Reactions: 2 users
You have to take the Chem to Biochem sequence as soon as possible.

I took O Chem I with the lab over the summer my freshman year. Since you dropped chemistry that won't be possible for you.

If you want to get your Chem sequence in completely you might want to consider taking Chem II over the summer. Then you would be looking at taking O Chem II and Biochem together which works for some people.

To answer your original question three science courses in one semester are definitely doable. Good luck!
Thanks! how hard is doing a science class during the summer? All the advisors here recommend against it. For my school to take biochem you have to take Bio 1,2,and 3. and chem 1, 2 So I hope I can take bio 3 in the summer so I can take biochem in the fall

Thanks! how hard is doing a science class during the summer?

At my school the O Chem class I took over the summer was 12 weeks long. A lot of other universities cram classes into half that time or less.

If your summer term is only a couple weeks shorter than a normal semester you should be ok. If it is only a few weeks, taking a full load would probably be near impossible.

Also remember if you have a shortened summer semester the number of credit hours does not accurately reflect the work you will need to put into the course.

I don't think I ever took a semester with less than 3 science classes a semester. If that seems daunting, even if you are doing well in your classes, you should explore other ways of learning or talk to education resources etc. Virtually everyone, even those with straight A's can study better/more efficiently. Well worth it early on to do it.
Did you ever take summer science classes? And if so how much harder is it than normal semester classes?

Ya they give you alot of grief even if you have 16 credits

At my school the O Chem class I took over the summer was 12 weeks long. A lot of other universities cram classes into half that time or less.

If your summer term is only a couple weeks shorter than a normal semester you should be ok. If it is only a few weeks, taking a full load would probably be near impossible.

Also remember if you have a shortened summer semester the number of credit hours does not accurately reflect the work you will need to put into the course.
All the summer sessions are either 6/08- 7/10 or 6/08/8/10. So the longest session is 2 months

Has anyone done summer science classes before? If so how hard is

Ya they give you alot of grief even if you have 16 credits

Is it absolutely mandatory ? Or is this an advisable rule ?
on average classes are 3 credits. 5 x (3 credit classes) + 2 (1 credit labs) sounds horrendous

Is it absolutely mandatory ? Or is this an advisable rule ?
on average classes are 3 credits. 5 x (3 credit classes) + 2 (1 credit labs) sounds horrendous
Its mandatory for pre med students yes. At my school the science lectures are 4 hours and and labs are 0 but the lab grade makes up 25% of your lecture grade if that makes sense. Ya ive never really heard of the hour requirements anywhere before but there whole thing is they want to you have the most classes you can so you can handle medical school. Most of the pre med students usually have between 7-9 classes a semester. If you have anywhere between 17-19 hours your good. So it doesnt have to be 17 but thats just the minimal

do whateevr you need to do to protect that GPA

Its mandatory for pre med students yes. At my school the science lectures are 4 hours and and labs are 0 but the lab grade makes up 25% of your lecture grade if that makes sense. Ya ive never really heard of the hour requirements anywhere before but there whole thing is they want to you have the most classes you can so you can handle medical school. Most of the pre med students usually have between 7-9 classes a semester. If you have anywhere between 17-19 hours your good. So it doesnt have to be 17 but thats just the minimal

Sounds like forced weed-out. @Millects summarized it best, just protect that GPA.

Why are you asking us? Like we can tell you how well you did.

I did 100% engineering classes at 23 credit hours - was fine.
I did one semester with art/band/english/history (just to get them all out of the way) - and my GPA was... like destroyed lol.