3-Year Masters of Science in Dentistry (MSD/MS) Operative Dentistry competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the competitiveness of the MSD program in operative dentistry? For example, the ones offered by Indiana, UNC, Michigan, UF? I couldn't find much info on SDN about this.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a program for graduated dental students?

Reactions: 1 user
I know of some people who went but were international dental grads.

I don’t think it’s super competitive from what I’ve seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse my French, but why the hell would you go to 3 more years in operative dentistry? I need someone to help me understand in what universe this would be a good career move.

Reactions: 7 users
Excuse my French, but why the hell would you go to 3 more years in operative dentistry? I need someone to help me understand in what universe this would be a good career move.
It's considered a specialty in the Navy and qualifies you for the same amount of retention bonus like endo/perio/peds, etc. If selected the navy will pay tuition and give you a full salary while in school(FTOS) so I think it's good for someone who wants to make military a career. Also, just like big hoss said it's a good one to have if you decide to go back to academia.

Reactions: 2 users
Fair enough. I always thought the 2 year AEGD was crazy enough. I had no idea there was 3 year general dentistry residency. It blows my mind that the military pays people a full salary during this residency, then pays them a specialty bonus afterwards. All for a year for year repayment. By my calculation thats 400K-600K (3 years salary plus 3 years specialty bonus) over 6 years for 3 years of military paced general dentistry.....crazy town.

Fair enough. I always thought the 2 year AEGD was crazy enough. I had no idea there was 3 year general dentistry residency. It blows my mind that the military pays people a full salary during this residency, then pays them a specialty bonus afterwards. All for a year for year repayment. By my calculation thats 400K-600K (3 years salary plus 3 years specialty bonus) over 6 years for 3 years of military paced general dentistry.....crazy town.
Well they pay them specialty bonus once they have fulfilled ALL their obligation. It's a RETENTION specialty bonus. So for example if you finish your 4 year HPSP obligation in 2023 and attend a FTOS operative dentistry program for 3 years that year, you're not eligible for the $50K/year retention bonus until 2029. That is a long time and commitment lol. I think most people specialize in the military because it helps with promotion and for some specialties (endo,perio,orofacial/public health,radio, peds, and ortho) it gives you a much more stable duty assignments(no ships/small operational requirements).

Last edited: