30 MCAT, 3.48 cGPA 3.52sGPA from Colorado and kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Class1P

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you all thought. I know SDN tends to think anybody without a 35MCAT and 3.9 won't get in anywhere but I feel like I have an okay chance.

I am a non traditional applicant. I am 27 and live in Colorado. I am originally from Kansas where I grew up and have ties.

My cumulative GPA is 3.48 mainly because I got community college credit for some core courses before I started college and my gpa was low then. my real university GPA is more like 3.65 but they don't see that.

I have a 30MCAT after 4 attempts. The first 2 took place 4 years ago when I first applied to U of kansas. I went from a 23->28 and then decided I wanted to spend some time doing research. I took it again last year and went from a 29->30. I know that doesn't look good but it shows I try hard and work for it. (10PS, 8VR, 12BS) obviously VR is my weak point over and over again. I was scoring mid 30's on all of my practice tests.

I have 5 years of research experience as an assistant. I have 5 publications including 1 first author.

3 months volunteer work in Nepal at orphanages.

80 hours ED volunteer work at 1 hospital and about 40 at another.

2 days of shadowing an internal med doctor.

I applied for the 2012-2013 cycle to 13 schools and got no interviews. I feel like there must be something wrong.

Colorado will never take me, I know that much. I have a good chance at kansas considering my ties but I really really don't want to go back there for 4 years, I'm so sick of the place.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently your list did not target schools that were likely to see your strengths. Admittedly, those that value research also want stats but there are at least a dozen MD schools that might have interviewed you.

Was this your first application?

I think that may have been the problem. I didn't make a good enough case for my application considering my age and previously applying to KU 5 years ago. I applied EDP and didn't do well in interviews then. I did however apply to Vermont, Oregon, boston, UMASS, Tufts, Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, UC san diego and a few other UC schools (rookie mistake) this time.

I figured with my amount of studying I was expecting a 34 on my MCAT this time but was very sad about my 29. I applied to schools that were too ambitious.

I get disappointed looking at the MSAR though and almost every school has an average of a 33 and 3.7GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go back to the MSAR. Forget California.

Agree.

Stick to the state schools where you have ties and mid&low tier privates.

Colorado will never take me, I know that much. I have a good chance at kansas considering my ties but I really really don't want to go back there for 4 years, I'm so sick of the place.

You really can't afford to discount a Kansas SOM. If that ends up being your only acceptance, then grab it. 4 years in a place that may not be your best choice is not the end of the world. Keep your eye on the prize. Kansas may not be a sexy place to be, but it's not horrible, and in the end, you'd be a MD. That's what matters.

2 days of shadowing seems reeaaallly small considering all this time you've tried to apply.

Were you applying for UMass MD/PhD? Because they don't take OOS for just MD

yes I applied MD/PhD to a few schools including UMASS. I would love to do MD/PhD but my numbers don't really lend themselves to that. I figure I can eventually do research as an MD or apply into PhD after i gain MD acceptance if I feel like it.

The Misses will not like moving back to Kansas one bit so I am not totally confident my relationship will be stable for 4 years if we have to move back there. Tis a silly place. Plus she is a lawyer and it is extremely hard to find work as a lawyer right now, her ability to find work in Kansas will be much worse. She would also have to retake the bar (which she'll have to do anyway if we move)

There's always Creighton, Rosy Franklin, NYMC and others.
You're a lock for any DO program too.

I was wondering what you all thought. I know SDN tends to think anybody without a 35MCAT and 3.9 won't get in anywhere but I feel like I have an okay chance.

I am a non traditional applicant. I am 27 and live in Colorado. I am originally from Kansas where I grew up and have ties.

My cumulative GPA is 3.48 mainly because I got community college credit for some core courses before I started college and my gpa was low then. my real university GPA is more like 3.65 but they don't see that.

I have a 30MCAT after 4 attempts. The first 2 took place 4 years ago when I first applied to U of kansas. I went from a 23->28 and then decided I wanted to spend some time doing research. I took it again last year and went from a 29->30. I know that doesn't look good but it shows I try hard and work for it. (10PS, 8VR, 12BS) obviously VR is my weak point over and over again. I was scoring mid 30's on all of my practice tests.

I have 5 years of research experience as an assistant. I have 5 publications including 1 first author.

3 months volunteer work in Nepal at orphanages.

80 hours ED volunteer work at 1 hospital and about 40 at another.

2 days of shadowing an internal med doctor.

I applied for the 2012-2013 cycle to 13 schools and got no interviews. I feel like there must be something wrong.

What do you guys think?

Your school list is awful.

Haven't you seen the wizard of oz? There's no place like home. You're going to medical school not on vacation.

Go back to the MSAR. Forget California.

...also I agree with gyngyn. Don't look at the gap/mcat first. Go straight to acceptance info and look at their OOS odds. Then narrow it down from there.