30 MCAT + 3.5 cgpa (3.9 post bac) + CA + ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice or thoughts you may have about my stats! Thanks in advance!

About me:
- Top 30 university transfer student: 4 year school (top 130) to 4 year school
- ~3.5 cgpa and a ~3.4 sgpa. Post bac gpa = ~3.9 (~35 units)
- MCAT: 09 PS/ 10 VR/ 11 BS

-Immigrant parents. Had to pretty much figure out this path all by myself (and with some help from SDN =] )
- Worked for 8 years in a fast food restaurant (HS + college)
- ~200 hours of shadowing
- ~400 hours of clinical volunteering at two different hospitals
- 300 hours of psych research (no pubs or posters)
- Leadership position in three different and well known organizations for 2 years each (active involvment).
- Volunteer at the local museum ~ 100 hours (just for fun)
- TA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That 30 MCAT will probably keep you out of the top-tier schools, but otherwise you should be a decent candidate for many low-mid tier MD schools if you apply broadly and strategically. Before you start looking for schools, make sure you calculate your AMCAS and AACOMAS GPAs, so you can get a better sense of where you stand on that front. Get the MSAR and look for the schools that are most likely to interview you. You will probably need around 20 schools on your list. Since your're from CA, you will probably need to focus more so on the OOS private schools. It definitely couldn't hurt to add some DO schools to your list as well.

Reactions: 1 user
That 30 MCAT will probably keep you out of the top-tier schools, but otherwise you should be a decent candidate for many low-mid tier MD schools if you apply broadly and strategically. Before you start looking for schools, make sure you calculate your AMCAS and AACOMAS GPAs, so you can get a better sense of where you stand on that front. Get the MSAR and look for the schools that are most likely to interview you. You will probably need around 20 schools on your list. Since your're from CA, you will probably need to focus more so on the OOS private schools. It definitely couldn't hurt to add some DO schools to your list as well.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I had an upward trend in undergrad and was able to continue that as a post bac. Last 1.5 year in undergrad > 3.6. Never dipped below a 3.0.

I tried finding the answer to this question to no success: if I buy the MSAR now before it updates, will I have access to the updated one when it comes out or do I have to buy the new one separately?

Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I had an upward trend in undergrad and was able to continue that as a post bac. Last 1.5 year in undergrad > 3.6. Never dipped below a 3.0.

I tried finding the answer to this question to no success: if I buy the MSAR now before it updates, will I have access to the updated one when it comes out or do I have to buy the new one separately?

Thanks again!!

The upward trend during undergrad definitely helps, and the 3.9 in the post-bacc program is also very good. I originally bought the 2013 MSAR, and it updated automatically to the 2014 version at the end of the of cycle for no extra charge. I imagine the current MSAR will do the same at the end of the current cycle.

I recommend:

UCR if you're from the Inland Empire
UCD if from the Central Valley
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Central MI, Va Tech
Any DO program. Start with Western and Touro-CA

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts you may have about my stats! Thanks in advance!

About me:
- Top 30 university transfer student: 4 year school (top 130) to 4 year school
- ~3.5 cgpa and a ~3.4 sgpa. Post bac gpa = ~3.9 (~35 units)
- MCAT: 09 PS/ 10 VR/ 11 BS

-Immigrant parents. Had to pretty much figure out this path all by myself (and with some help from SDN =] )
- Worked for 8 years in a fast food restaurant (HS + college)
- ~200 hours of shadowing
- ~400 hours of clinical volunteering at two different hospitals
- 300 hours of psych research (no pubs or posters)
- Leadership position in three different and well known organizations for 2 years each (active involvment).
- Volunteer at the local museum ~ 100 hours (just for fun)
- TA

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys! I have a lot of thinking to do! =)

I recommend:

UCR if you're from the Inland Empire
UCD if from the Central Valley
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Central MI, Va Tech
Any DO program. Start with Western and Touro-CA

Why not V-Tech? Just wondering since I'm a re-applicant with similar stats..