MD 31 MCAT 3.78 GPA Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcjmz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just received my MCAT scores (improvement after the 1st time) and have the primary application completed and it is already verified. I would appreciate your help on my school list, and also have some questions on whether I would still be competitive at this stage of the application cycle.

Stats:
(11 PS/6 VR/10 BS) for a 27 on the May 8, 2014 MCAT
(12 PS/8 VR/11 BS) for a 31 on the July 24, 2014 MCAT

3.78 verified cGPA
3.69 verified sGPA

EC's:
300 hours of volunteering in 2 hospital ERs
100 hours of physician shadowing (1 ER physician, 2 family practice)
Founder of website hosting company (10 years so roughly 1000 hours spent)
Member of 2 university bands for a few semesters throughout college
Played for church since I started with my instrument (10 years ago, 1000 hours total across practicing and university playing)
Chemistry Teaching Assistant - 1 year, will be 1.5 by the time I interview, 230 hours
Member of Campus EMS club
Research Assistant (1 semester in addition to winning a $4000 Summer Fellowship for this past summer) 7 months total, 480 hours, no publications
Mentor for Disadvantaged (low income) elementary children - 1 semester, 40 hours
Dean's List and Partial Academic Scholarship

I am currently attending a large state university majoring in Pharmaceutical Sciences with a minor in Business. I am an Ohio resident, non-URM and going to be entering my senior year (so a traditional applicant).

My School List:

Ohio State U
NEOMED
University of Toledo
Wright State University
University of Cincinnati
Case Western Reserve U
University of Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State U
Oakland University
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin
Indiana University
University of Kentucky
Pennsylvania State U
The Commonwealth Medical College
University of Colorado

I would love to stay in Ohio but am willing to move to states relatively close. Do you guys think this list looks good? Should I add/remove any schools?

Also, am I still competitive with my 8 in verbal? I am pretty happy that I brought it up from a 6, but I just wanted to see what the consensus is.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks, I removed that and added U of Colorado. Are my "safety" schools OK? And will the 8 in VR matter a lot to the places where I want to apply?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I add more schools? What are some others whose averages I fall in?

Thanks for your help.

Bump. I submitted on 8-28 and have done about 75% of the secondaries within a week of getting them. Do you guys think I am already too late or do I still have a chance? It's only been a week since the secondaries have been in, so I guess I should be patient.

Also I had another question. Let's say I don't get into any this cycle. Should I worry about retaking the mcat for a higher score in dec/Jan? Or will a 31 on the current mcat be okay for the next few cycles?

Thanks.

Bump. I submitted on 8-28 and have done about 75% of the secondaries within a week of getting them. Do you guys think I am already too late or do I still have a chance? It's only been a week since the secondaries have been in, so I guess I should be patient.

Also I had another question. Let's say I don't get into any this cycle. Should I worry about retaking the mcat for a higher score in dec/Jan? Or will a 31 on the current mcat be okay for the next few cycles?

Thanks.
31 is a good MCAT for most of the schools on your list. If you don't get in this cycle, it won't be because of the 31. The lingering effect of the 27 is not helpful, but it shouldn't tank you.

31 is a good MCAT for most of the schools on your list. If you don't get in this cycle, it won't be because of the 31. The lingering effect of the 27 is not helpful, but it shouldn't tank you.

So you are saying it would be due to things like my activities personal statement or letters?

Should I not worry about retaking the current version to get a higher score? I am nervous because I don't want to get into a situation where mcat improvement is needed and have to take the new version.

So you are saying it would be due to things like my activities personal statement or letters?

Should I not worry about retaking the current version to get a higher score? I am nervous because I don't want to get into a situation where mcat improvement is needed and have to take the new version.
Right now you have a good chance at getting interviews. They may not roll in for a while because schools may average MCAT's. Another hasty MCAT is not recommended and hopefully won't be necessary.

Right now you have a good chance at getting interviews. They may not roll in for a while because schools may average MCAT's. Another hasty MCAT is not recommended and hopefully won't be necessary.

Okay thank you so much, you have quelled my fears about this whole process :)