31 MCAT 4.0cGPA chances for these schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rob Biomed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this upcoming cycle for MD schools. Here are my stats thus far:

31 (9VR, 10PS, 12BS) MCAT
4.0 cGPA 4.0 sGPA
2.5 years of non-clinical research, no publications
~30 hours shadowing 2 physicians
-Studied abroad at a relatively prestigious school in Europe for 6 months (not sure if that matters for anything)
-3 or 4 very solid letters of recommendation

Volunteer stuff:
-Weekly street cleanup for 2 years
-Volunteer tutoring in bio sciences through my school's greek life for 2 years
-Some volunteer work at a local senior center
-Week long humanitarian trip to Mexico with opthamology /optometry group to provide eye exams and glasses to over 3,000 locals
-2-day opthamology mission to a nearby indian reservation to provide glaucoma screenings

At the moment, I'm looking at these schools:
Medical college of Wisconsin
Oregon Health and Science University
University of Arizona (Tucson+ Phoenix campuses)
Georgetown
University of Washington
University of Miami
University of Colorado

A few Reach schools:
UCLA
UCSD
Tufts

Note, I am not a California resident.

Any thoughts of my chances at the above listed schools, and any recommendations of other schools I may want to apply to would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Members don't see this ad.

You have great stats, but I would suggest looking at the msar because some of those schools aren't great for oos applicants. I would focus on some privates and schools without is/oos bias.

I think I remember from my school research that Colorado, Washington, and Arizona don't like oos applicants...but I can't be sure so you should double check.

i would suggest adding uvm, gwu, vcw, and perhaps penn state. If i recall correctly you need at least a 32 to apply oos for ohsu

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this upcoming cycle for MD schools. Here are my stats thus far:

31 (9VR, 10PS, 12BS) MCAT
4.0 cGPA 4.0 sGPA nice, but how come not similarly reflected on MCAT? (not saying you should have gotten a 40...)
2.5 years of non-clinical research, no publications This may hurt at research heavy schools
~30 hours shadowing 2 physicians
-Studied abroad at a relatively prestigious school in Europe for 6 months (not sure if that matters for anything) Nope
-3 or 4 very solid letters of recommendation Make sure you have enough for the schools, some need pre-committee or 5-6 letters total...

Volunteer stuff:
-Weekly street cleanup for 2 yearshow many hours, how often, what did you get out of it?
-Volunteer tutoring in bio sciences through my school's greek life for 2 years what did you get out of it?
-Some volunteer work at a local senior center any projects you helped start?
-Week long humanitarian trip to Mexico with opthamology /optometry group to provide eye exams and glasses to over 3,000 locals this is nice, but only 1 week? what can you say you learned from it?
-2-day opthamology mission to a nearby indian reservation to provide glaucoma screenings Can you do more? participate in others like this? So you can update schools around sept oct nov dec

At the moment, I'm looking at these schools:
Medical college of Wisconsin
Oregon Health and Science University
University of Arizona (Tucson+ Phoenix campuses)
Georgetown
University of Washington
University of Miami
University of Colorado

A few Reach schools:
UCLA they do accept OOS
UCSD They do accept OOS
Tufts priv, you'll be fine in terms of gpa/mcat

Note, I am not a California resident. where are you from?

Any thoughts of my chances at the above listed schools, and any recommendations of other schools I may want to apply to would be greatly appreciated.

look at CERTAIN schools in Fl, NJ, NY, VT, IL, MN...

I think you have a good chance of getting an interview invite at the University of Miami. I have similar stats as you, but I had a lot less volunteering but a lot more shadowing, plus a year more of research. I was offered an interview at this school so I would think you will too.

The application fees to UWashington would be better spent elsewhere unless you're a WWAMI applicant.

You need more clinical experience. How do you know you can deal with patients? The "missions" you've done are not nearly enough.

Take out the two Cali Schools. If in state applicants have a hard time getting into them, an out of state applicant wouldn't fair a good chance without a stellar MCAT score.

Drop OHSU if you don't meet one of the following:

• Residents of Oregon.
  • Non-resident applicants with Oregon Heritage. The School of Medicine uses the Oregon Heritage Policy for student selection, but it is not used as a basis for determining residency, and therefore the tuition a student pays. Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an institution of higher education in Oregon with at least two years at an institution in Oregon.
  • WICHE-certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Applicants applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. Combined Degree Programs.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2013 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most recent eligible MCAT.
  • The School of Medicine Admissions Committee fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.

Oh, and the Arizona schools are fairly OOS friendly, cmcbee is not recalling correctly. Apply to both of those.

Thank you for the responses everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

I know that the two CA schools are a big time stretch. I may take UCSD off my list and just try for UCLA as a reach school. I think schools such as Med college of Wisconsin, UofA, and University of Miami are reasonable goals for me, but I think I'd like to apply to around ~10 schools this cycle, so I'm still working on finalizing my list.

Also, I am taking a gap year and plan to get lots of clinical experience (volunteering at the local hospital, shadowing, etc.) during that time. I know that that is my weak area at the moment.

Any more comments or advice is greatly appreciated.