33 MCAT, 3.02 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suggest three in a semester, say, among Cell Bio, Aantomy, Physiology, Histology, Pharmacology, Micro, Immuno, Pathology, Neuroscience, Molecular Genetics, Biostats, or Biochem.

And given your grade history, B's won't cut it. Ace everything. Medical school will be a LOT hard than anything you took in UG.

How many upper level bio classes would you recommend? And how should the grades be in these bio classes? All A's or is it okay to have B's as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine op. My cousin grad with a 34 on MCAT and 3.2. He got in to Miami for a MPH and MD program.

Did you do any extra-curricular activities, shadow a doctor, or volunteer some places?

Keep sending apps everywhere.

You will be fine op. My cousin grad with a 34 on MCAT and 3.2. He got in to Miami for a MPH and MD program.

Did you do any extra-curricular activities, shadow a doctor, or volunteer some places?

I have many EC's, volunteering/clinical experiences and shadowing. My gpa is the only thing holding me down. Can you tell me a little more about the program your cousin is doing? It seems a bit competitive, doesn't it? From what I heard, dual degree programs are always harder to get into than md alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have many EC's, volunteering/clinical experiences and shadowing. My gpa is the only thing holding me down. Can you tell me a little more about the program your cousin is doing? It seems a bit competitive, doesn't it? From what I heard, dual degree programs are always harder to get into than md alone.

He is doing the MPH program right now. The class for the MPH start on the last week of june and continue every summer. It's part of the 4 year MD program at UMiami. He took some public health classes during his undergrad. It will come down to the interview, if you get one which you will. If you do really well and they see the MCAT and GPA, and they will decide which program you fit in. I think that some schools has losened up a bit and some of the undergrad curriculum has gotten a little harder (biochem arggg). With the EC, doctor shadowing, and volunteering, you will in fine shape. When he applied, he got 6 interviews and only Miami accepted him.

My advice, apply every place possible, even the ones with programs. As a note, TX med schools require another application not the AMCAS. Pick the top school you really want to go in order to get the secondary. I know USF Morsani give secondaries to people who really want to go there. Once you get offered an interview, do really well in it and say the right things.

You can do it! :)

I gotta go back, I got MCAT this week which I need to go beast mode in. Wish me luck y'all.

here is info about the MD/MPH
http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/md-mph-program

He is doing the MPH program right now. The class for the MPH start on the last week of june and continue every summer. It's part of the 4 year MD program at UMiami. He took some public health classes during his undergrad. It will come down to the interview, if you get one which you will. If you do really well and they see the MCAT and GPA, and they will decide which program you fit in. I think that some schools has losened up a bit and some of the undergrad curriculum has gotten a little harder (biochem arggg). With the EC, doctor shadowing, and volunteering, you will in fine shape. When he applied, he got 6 interviews and only Miami accepted him.

My advice, apply every place possible, even the ones with programs. As a note, TX med schools require another application not the AMCAS. Pick the top school you really want to go in order to get the secondary. I know USF Morsani give secondaries to people who really want to go there. Once you get offered an interview, do really well in it and say the right things.

You can do it! :)

I gotta go back, I got MCAT this week which I need to go beast mode in. Wish me luck y'all.

here is info about the MD/MPH
http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/md-mph-program
Is your cousin white/asian? In state for the 6 schools he interviewed at? Some particularly meaningful ECs? Fantastic upward trend(like 2.0 Freshman year and 3.7 every other year?

6 MD interviews with a 34/3.2 seems pretty high, and anyway those stats are better than what OP posted. Anecdotes like yours are dangerous in that they can give false hope to people who then both waste application dollars and end up with the black mark of being a reapplicant. Statistically, OP has little chance, if any, at MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Is your cousin white/asian? In state for the 6 schools he interviewed at? Some particularly meaningful ECs? Fantastic upward trend(like 2.0 Freshman year and 3.7 every other year?

6 MD interviews with a 34/3.2 seems pretty high, and anyway those stats are better than what OP posted. Anecdotes like yours are dangerous in that they can give false hope to people who then both waste application dollars and end up with the black mark of being a reapplicant. Statistically, OP has little chance, if any, at MD schools.

Indian. He had like 2.8 during middle years but boosted it in his senior year. Like you said upwards trend. Wayne state, West Michigan, UMiami, and forgot the other three called for interview. He started a huge club in Michigan, did a mission trip to India, and did some research on neuroscience.

I would say you shouldn't be too worried about the stats, usually stats scare people and/or motivate which is kind of expected IMO. Florida schools looking more into personal level and want students who are committed for the full 4 years. They are looking for people who work. They are looking for something interesting like Minor in math, something different the basic Bio and Chem, started a club in college, and/or got involved in research. If a person is that passionate to go to medical school, go for it.

In my case, I may not have a chance because I am taking the MCAT late which is not good and made too many Cs and Ws due to illnesses. If that is the risk I am going to take, I will take it and I desperately want to go. MCAT is my only hope at this time.

I found a video that can be helpful

Last edited:
If you choose to listen to anecdotal advice from a new member to SDN that says what you want to hear versus adhering to the advice of regular SDN contributors who are admissions committee members of various medical schools who regularly vet applications similar to yours, you will reap what you sew for this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats fair.

Question, would it be ok to look into the MD Admissions of different Universities to see the requirements of getting in?

I suggest three in a semester, say, among Cell Bio, Aantomy, Physiology, Histology, Pharmacology, Micro, Immuno, Pathology, Neuroscience, Molecular Genetics, Biostats, or Biochem.

And given your grade history, B's won't cut it. Ace everything. Medical school will be a LOT hard than anything you took in UG.

I currently got offered a full time job starting next week. Either I work full time this year, save up and next summer apply for DO schools while retaking classes that summer/fall with enough saved up for applications and secondary fees or I take my retakes this year before applying. Is it okay to submit application by July and update it later to take advantage of grade replacement?